No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2005-09-24, 8:31pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySkene
Hey Mary - credit where credit is due. It worked even from here where we live in caves over the Welsh moutainside.

Another fine technique I have in my armoury ...that makes ???

Thanks very much - Ray in Wales
Great job Ray! Nice example of a different shape and how it all still works together!

Hope you have fun with these, I sure do!

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-09-24, 8:32pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiacat

Thanks again Mary; for the help and encouragement...and thanks Suzy for the compliment!
That last one is my favorite! I love the contrast inside. It is awesome to see so many people trying these on for size.

~~Mary

Old 2005-09-25, 11:14am
CA Queen Bitch

Here is my latest attempt! Not a great picture for detail, it's cool in person though. A double implosion bicone. Mary, you be De' Bomb!!!!
~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-09-25, 11:42am
Martyrs don't bitch.

Wow Suzy that's awesome! You really rocked that implosion. I just started doing these last night. No Digi for me though.
Old 2005-09-25, 12:02pm
CA Queen Bitch

Thank you! They are way too addicting! kinda like a new drug.....hee....hee....

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-09-25, 12:14pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody Fire Beads
Here is my latest attempt! Not a great picture for detail, it's cool in person though. A double implosion bicone. Mary, you be De' Bomb!!!!
~Suzy~
ok suz

give upthe goods on doing a double..... like moth's but one then another???

I'm not putting my brain around it....

Stac

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-09-25, 12:28pm

I guessing like a hollow to begin with - 2 discs, then the implosion directions on each size? Is it more hollow in the middle?

Gorgeous - I don't think my feeble attempt in the kiln right now will measure up...

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2005-09-25, 12:46pm
CA Queen Bitch

I just made one, then added another one on the opposite end and capped it with black. I then did some raised stringer to cover the clear area. Took awhile, but pretty cool effect.

~Suzy~

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-09-25, 1:16pm
Moving On

WOW!!!!! Everyone is doing so well! I've been doing regular off mandrel implosions this afternoon, but now I'm inspired to try these again too! Beautiful, phenomenal beads everyone!!

Old 2005-09-25, 1:35pm
Sensitive Arteest

Well that's just too much fun. Thanks Mary. I did some with black cores. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Old 2005-09-25, 4:48pm
NW Oregon

I love how experimental everyone is getting with this technique! Suzy, I love your bicone idea. It made me laugh with delight to see how the beads have grown and changed. Everyone's beads are great. To me, this is when this site [or the other sites] are at their best; with people taking an idea, then running in new directions and then sharing what they came up with. See what you started Mary

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2005-09-25, 5:23pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Default my implosions

My implosions, before and after Moth's tutorial!!!

BEFORE the tutorial... (mary now has the one in the back and my fav is the raku/greenraised floral one)

and now the ones I did this weekend.....

WHACHA think... and yes, Suzy, it is a new DRUG!!!!! (they are a b*tch to photograph though...)

Stacy

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-09-26, 6:34am
Mary Lockwood

Holy wow!!!

I had set up to get notifications to additions to this thread, but I hadn't gotten any in a while so I came to double check. I'm SO glad I did...I almost missed this new stuff!

Gorgeous, gorgeous work you all. I have to say, I am so happy I posted this tutorial. I did it because it was the only time I have ever had anything to share that I hadn't already seen instructions for somewhere else. What a great feeling!

It is a real kick to see all the fun twists you guys are putting into these. I gotta say, Suzy....hot damn! Whenever I did the doubles, I never ended up with a bicone...it was always a huge massive round and I put rows of dots around the center 'seam'. I like yours a hundred times better! The black caps really set it off!

Manon!!! Please post your pics!

Stacy, those are way fun!!! I can't wait to get one! It could very well be sitting at the post office, but since my car died, and since it is raining cats and dogs today, I can't get it til hubby comes home tonight. Thank you for sending it to me!!!

Nikki, what did you come up with?? Are you happy with it, will you show us, PLEEEEEEZ???

~~Mary

Old 2005-09-26, 8:17am
CA Queen Bitch

This really has been a great tutorial, Mary! You are so amazing for sharing when you could have just kept us guessing how you do it! This IS what a glass website ought to be all about, don't ya think!!! I also love how everyone has inserted their own creativity to the original example!!

Thanks for the bicone compliment, believe it or not that is the about the easiest shape for me to make. I guess I was born to roll! Too bad my pie dough never cooperates this well.

~Suzy~

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-09-26, 8:09pm

Mary - I'll show my next one - I'm not overly proud of this one...

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2005-09-27, 3:50am
Senior Moment

Thanks for the tut! It is beautiful. I tried it last night and like Katja said I can't make a round bead but I tried it and it looked pretty good going into the kiln but came out with two cracks in it. I have had other beads that crack when I try to take them off the mandrel. What am I doing wrong? I am using Morretti glass and I am annealing at 925. I just set the kiln and let it cool down on it's own overnight. I would appreciate any suggestions you can give me.
Thanks,
Sharon
sabood@insight.rr.com
Old 2005-09-27, 5:27am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Abood
Thanks for the tut! It is beautiful. I tried it last night and like Katja said I can't make a round bead but I tried it and it looked pretty good going into the kiln but came out with two cracks in it. I have had other beads that crack when I try to take them off the mandrel. What am I doing wrong? I am using Morretti glass and I am annealing at 925. I just set the kiln and let it cool down on it's own overnight. I would appreciate any suggestions you can give me.
Thanks,
Sharon
sabood@insight.rr.com
Hi Sharon, I'm glad you are having luck with the tutorial.

Now let's see if we can fix your cracking problem.

First, up your annealing temp to about 968 and let your beads soak at that temp for 20-30 minutes. Rule of thumb is 15 minutes for every 1/4" thickness of glass. Then, if you have a digital controller, program it to ramp your temp down to 830 over a period of about 2 hours. (I'm very conservative about this...Probably lots of people do it faster, but I make lots of encased beads that are chubby.) 830 is the 'strain' point. The slower you cool down from the temperature at which the glass is still moving 968 to the temperature at which the glass locks into its structure (830), the more stress will be relieved, and/or the less stress your glass will aquire during the process. (If you don't have a digital controller, you will have to babysit your pyrometer)

Any stress introduced into your glass before you hit the 830 point, is permanent stress. This means it will remain stress in the glass even after the bead is cool. That is why I am so conservative about it.

Any stress introduced into your glass below the 830 point is temporary stress, which means once the bead has reached a uniform temperature throughtout, aka...totally cooled down, that stress is gone. That is why I will ramp down from 830 to room temperature at a faster rate. Usually takes about 5 hours for my kiln to cool down enough to take the beads out.

Now, if you go TOO fast from 830 to room temp, you can thermal shock your beads and they will crack. Just like putting boiling water into a glass if it has been in the freezer. POP.

So, in a nutshell, you are annealing at too low a temperature, (actually you aren't annealing at all), and you are ramping down too fast.

Another thing to keep in mind is at what point to put the bead into the kiln. Your beads could very well be cracking before you ever get them into the kiln (but I doubt it in this case). Once you have your bead in its final shape, and uniformly heated, you should waft it in and out of the flame to let the glow die down. Your goal is to bring the temp of the bead down as close to your kiln temp as you can. (Which is a guess actually). You are trying to get the inside of the bead and the outside of the bead at the same temp. Once the glow is practically gone, this is when to put the bead quickly into the kiln. I use lauscha to encase, so I put them in still glowing (but not brightly). You will find what works for what type beads you are making.

Hope that helps you out!
~~Mary

PS- It is impossible to OVER-anneal, so in my opinion, you can't go too slow.

Last edited by Moth; 2006-09-30 at 9:26pm.
Old 2005-09-27, 6:30am
Senior Moment

Mary,
Thank you so much for all the info. I really appreciate your help. I can't wait to try it again tonight.
Sharon
sabood@insight.rr.com
Old 2005-09-27, 6:45am
Senior Moment

Mary,
Thank you so much for all the info. I really appreciate your help. I can't wait to try it again tonight.
Sharon
sabood@insight.rr.com
Old 2005-09-27, 11:18am
Sensitive Arteest

Looky! I made little lava lamps! he he. Ok, so I didn't spend much time shaping them......but it was fun.
Attached Images

Old 2005-09-27, 4:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manon L. Sager
Looky! I made little lava lamps! he he. Ok, so I didn't spend much time shaping them......but it was fun.
I LOVEEEE the lava lamps - these are so cool - Thank you Mary for the tutorial and everyone doing the cool, groovy, glass thingees and sharing!

Now - who wants to come babysit my demon dogs so I can go try and make some??

Martha
Old 2005-09-27, 8:50pm
Mary Lockwood

Yay more pictures!!!

I LOVE the lava lamps. Fun fun fun.

Martha...I'll watch your dogs. Send me some pictures. Heehee.

~~Mary

Old 2005-09-28, 10:24pm

TOO COOL MARY MOTH!
Am going to learn something else from you - geez, woman! I can't wait to give this a shot. Thank you immensely for the teaching.
Sheryll

Old 2005-10-01, 12:12pm
Carpe Beadum

Ok, I had a lot of fun trying this tutorial out, but... ummm... well, I guess I should have actually taken the instructions with me *chuckles* I totally misremembered how to melt it down, and tried to collapse it from the center out, instead of the outer rim, inwards LOL

So, I thought I'd give you all a good chuckle! Here's what happens *Grins*
Attached Images

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2005-10-01, 12:13pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Mary... THANK YOU!!!

This is so cool. I was finally able to go out to the torch today and try this. It was almost painful to not be able to do it the day I read this the first time... I was so excited and my adreneline was rushing. Oh well.

Anyway, Here's my 2nd & 3rd attempt. My first one, I lost control of the disc bead. These aren't fab... but not too damn bad for my first day!!

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
Old 2005-10-01, 6:54pm
Does it come in Purple???

Default Thank You!!!! Mary

OMG!!!!! What an awesome tutorial. Your diagrams made it look so easy.

To everyone who has posted pictures - they are all so beautiful and fun to make huh?

This was my first try - definitely going to keep experimenting.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2005-10-01, 7:14pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Totally Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like them all BUT my favorite has to be the ones made by Disa.

Sara

Old 2005-10-01, 8:46pm
Carpe Beadum

LMAO!!!! You're teasing me, Sara! *grins and hugs ya*

I hate how bad the scanner glares off the bead. I should scan flip the bead over and scan it again so the glare is on the end with the most clear. Then you can see how strange the dots smear out LOL

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2005-10-03, 6:33am
Mary Lockwood

Hi guys!!

It is such a rush to see what you are all doing. I wish I had even more stuff to show ya. LOL

Beautiful job Disa...I really like them. It is a whole new look to the technique and you could play around with that and take it even further.

Hi Sheryll! Hugs...I miss ya. We need to get t'getha.

Jodie, what a great shape too! Really nice implosion and I like how you put a lip at the top end. Very nice touch.

Keep 'em coming you guys. And I hope those of you who have posted your first attempts come back and post your progression.

Hugs all around. Just got back from the Bead Invitational and I'm all full of glass love. Heehee.

~~Mary

Old 2005-10-07, 9:15am

Default Help!!!

Hi there...okay...how the heck do you get a nice 2 inch disk without it flopping or cracking????

LOL!

Thanks!