LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2007-04-26, 9:07am

Default Encased Rose Bead, by Bousky

This tutorial was designed to be a one page, quick glance type of thing. It is available as a PDF file. This will be easier to use when working, although the pictures below are bigger, and I had a bit more space to write.

Materials List:
Mandrel dipped in bead release
Base color of your choice
Vine cane
Clear glass stringer
Clear rod
Opaque White Stringer
Transparent Color Stringer
Stamen Cane
Marvering tool (I use a Stump Shaper)

HINTS:
1. Work with a small flame.
2. When adding transparent colored dots add them within the edges of the previous opaque dot.
3. When I say "melt in slightly", your goal is to melt only enough to smooth any sharp transitions. This is to avoid bubbles being trapped as you add clear.
4. When covering each layer of petals with glass, you just cover the petals completely and only. When you melt to round this helps with the spread of the petals.

Below making an embedded Rose Bead is broken into 24 steps.

STEP 1: Place small footprint of glass on mandrel

STEP 2: Marver glass footprint to a barrel shape, measuring about .25 to .375 inch wide.

STEP 3: Add Vine Cane to barrel.

STEP 4: Melt to round.

STEP 5: Encase vine with clear.

STEP 6: Melt to round.

STEP 7: Add three groups of three opaque white dots for the first layer of petals for three seperate blossoms.

STEP 8: Melt to round.

STEP 9: Add dots of transparent color to each petal. Place dot within the opaque white. Melt to Round.

STEP 10: Add clear glass on the top of each group of petals. Melting very slightly to avoid bubbles. Melt to round.

STEP 11: Add a second group of petals, on top of and in between each each of the first set of petals.

STEPS 12 through 14: Repeat steps 8 through 10
8. Melt to Round. 9. Add dots of transparent color to each petal. Melt to round. 10. Add clear glass to the top of each group of petals, melting slightly to avoid bubbles. Melt to round.

STEP 15: Add a third group of petals, on top of and in between each of the second sets of petals.

STEP 16 through 18: Repeat steps 8 through 10.
8. Melt to Round. 9. Add dots of transparent color to each petal. Melt to round. 10. Add clear glass to the top of each group of petals, melting slightly to avoid bubbles. Melt to round.

STEP 19: Spot heat and plunge the center of each grouping of petals with stringer or stamen cane.

STEP 20: Melt a small amount of clear stringer and carefully fill the hole made by plunging. Melt in very slightly.

STEP 21: Add clear glass covering the top of each blossom. Melt in slightly as you go. This is to avoid bubbles.

STEP 22: Melt to round

STEP 23: Carefully encase the entire bead. Melting slightly as you go.

STEP 24: Melt to round.

The content of this tutorial, both photo's and text, is the property of Michelle Schomburg. No part of this tutorial is to be reprinted for other than personal use with out the written permission by Michelle Schomburg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-04-26, 9:10am
Rose colored glasses…√

Oh WOW...it's THREE dots...I'm not even gonna' tell you how I've been trying to do it...I'm too embarassed!!

Thank you for posting that!!!

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2007-04-26, 9:15am
On the flippity flop

This tutorial looks great, Michelle! I can't wait to try it!

Jeannette

Jayne: "I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -- Serenity
Old 2007-04-26, 9:17am

Wow - what a great tutorial- I am always amazed at the depth and precision of your work
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-04-26, 9:57am

Ooo, thank you so much for the tutorial, Michelle.

Old 2007-04-26, 10:13am
Crazy Snake Lady

Awesome tut - thanks Michelle!!!
Old 2007-04-26, 10:17am
still not Leslie

Location: Home the 2011 Worlds Series Champion St Louis Cardinals

Wow Michelle! I still marvel at your incredible work. I just love seeing how you work your magic! Now I have a fellow bousky lover in St L! We drool all over your beads!!!
Old 2007-04-26, 10:45am
yukue fumei

WOW!!!
Thank you so much Michelle!!!!
Love your florals!!!

nagi

Old 2007-04-26, 10:49am
Floral Obsessed

WONDERFUL tutorial, Michelle! The photographs are incredible and your beads are always stunning. I had always wondered what your encasing steps were - there are so many different ways to do it and your way is so precise and unique. What isn't covered by the steps is the masterful heat control necessary to melt everything smooth and encase neatly while maintaining that perfect shape. That takes PPP! You're a huge inspiration to me and to many other floral artists and future floral artists.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-04-26, 11:50am
Bead Imp

I think I love you!

Old 2007-04-26, 1:04pm
Sheryll

Great Tut!
Old 2007-04-26, 1:54pm

thanks for the tut, i've always been a big fan of your florals! the depth is so incredible!

Old 2007-04-26, 2:16pm

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!!! I have always wanted to ask you how you make your awesome flowers.

Lynn
Old 2007-04-26, 2:45pm

Thank you and you are all welcome! Let me know how it goes.

Old 2007-04-26, 3:06pm

A great tutorial Michelle & such a lot of work. Have always admired your beautiful florals... Kerry

Last edited by Catts; 2007-04-26 at 7:20pm.
Old 2007-04-26, 7:05pm
Corgi Cult Member

Wonderful tut Michelle! Your florals are so beautiful!

Old 2007-04-27, 10:16am
Authentic WI Cheesehead

Great tutorial and thank you so much for sharing! I want to try this soon. Most of my florals end up looking like melted M&M's....You make such beautiful flowers and it is so nice of you to share!
Old 2007-04-27, 11:17am
Shine your bright side!

Thank you, Michelle. Wonderful tut.
You are so skillful and artistic.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-04-27, 11:28am

Fantastic tutorial!

Barb
Old 2007-04-27, 2:50pm

THANK-YOU!!! I know what I'm trying this weekend!!
Old 2007-04-27, 4:21pm

Wow Michelle the tutorial is awesome, thanks for sharing your tips with us that is very generous of you. I love your pink and blue flowers on the bay, ok I love all of them but the that set is just spectacular!!!!!!

Join the Army of Women to fight Breast Cancer. Click
Old 2007-04-27, 4:24pm

Michelle!!!!!!!! How awesome of you to share that with us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

Old 2007-04-27, 10:23pm
Velda Joy Rumfelt

Thank you for the directions and great pictures to go with them! This is so helpful to a beginner like myself.
Old 2007-04-28, 3:48am
Senior Moment

Thank you so much for sharing your art!

Old 2007-04-28, 7:01am
Crispy Critter

Old 2007-04-28, 7:08am

THANK YOU
I have always admired your flower beads in the gallery, thank you so much for the great TUT
Kris

mini cc, ng, & 2 concentrators
Old 2007-04-28, 10:05am
Anyone need some spacers?

I am printing as I type. Thanks so much for sharing your way of making these florals. It is so helpful to have it all on a one page PDF that I can tape within site while torching.

I am off to the torch.

Old 2007-04-28, 7:10pm

Wonderful tut!!! Rating it 5 stars!! You make it look so easy! I can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing this with us

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2007-04-30, 10:18am

Thank you so much for sharing and being so generous with your time and tut. I love your beads and style.

Anne

Old 2007-04-30, 3:58pm
Certified Yoga Teacher

Wow! Love your florals -- Thanks for sharing!

Liz