Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2008-03-31, 11:36am

Hi DeAnne, great tut and the pictures your daughter took excellent. However, I would like to caution you about using silver glass without adequate ventilation. The fumes off of silver glass are toxic and can cause serious lung problems. Just a thought.

Mega-Minor, Mid Range on M15 OXYCON,PP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-03-31, 1:57pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks, Steve! My "official" ventilation system will be installed in two weeks; right now, I have all doors open and a fan that is placed behind me (not visible in photos) - I'VE ADDED AN IMPORTANT CAUTION IN MY ORIGINAL TUTORIAL - So everybody, be sure that you have proper ventilation, especially while working with the Silver Glasses!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-04-10, 2:04pm

As a newbie - I can't tell you how wonderful it is that you all share so much of your hard earned knowledge.

I love you guys!!! (blubber, blush and gush)

Thank you thank you
Old 2008-04-10, 4:07pm
just plain silly

Gorgeous beads DeAnne! I am motivated to go try my secret stash after seeing how shiny and metallic yours came out.

Suzanne
Old 2008-04-10, 4:39pm

Fantastic tutorial, DeAnne, thanks for that. I've been using a hothead for tourist demos and really didn't like it - until seeing your beads. Now must dig out the Black Nebula and give that a go.

thanks again!
Mary

FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE
Old 2008-04-17, 2:44pm

Wonderful tutorial!! Thank you so much.

I do have one question: where did you get the wooden table set up that holds your hh and arm rest? I would love to get one of those.
Old 2008-04-17, 9:50pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verre Manie View Post
Wonderful tutorial!! Thank you so much.

I do have one question: where did you get the wooden table set up that holds your hh and arm rest? I would love to get one of those.
Hi There! Thanks for the nice compliments! If the "desk" is what you're talking about, it's actually a Potter's Table, and I found it at my local "Sam's Club" for about $120.00 - I just love it! It's an "occasional/seasonal" item there - but Spring is definitely the time to look!

I checked Sam's Club online, but didn't find it

Here's another table that is similar, but kind of pricey:
http://www.pottingbenches.com/pottin...ttingbench.cfm

Then there's this one - on eBay...very similar to mine and well priced...it would be really great if you could skip the ship charge and pick it up:
http://cgi.ebay.com/gardening-wooden...QQcmdZViewItem

I suggest you check the garden stores and discount/bulk shops in your area...now that you know what it's called (search "Potter's Bench" and "Potter's Table") you'll probably have no trouble finding just what works best for you!

DeAnne in CA

Old 2008-09-29, 1:30pm

Thanks so much for this i am pretty new (well had my Hot Head and gear for 2 1/2 years but two young kids and full time work are taxing on my torch time.) and just bought some Pschye and couldn't make it do anything cool...

p.s. this is my very first post on this site.
Old 2008-09-29, 1:41pm
I speak Murrini!

Good luck with it, Katie Girl!!! I think Psyche should work well for you...there are some "easier" of the Silver Glasses when reducing on a Hot Head - Psyche and Black Neb being two of them!

Let us know how you do! I've found the "Map PRO" to be a much better substitute for the MAPP gas over the Propane - at least for me - when this technique is used!

DeAnne in CA

Old 2008-09-29, 2:12pm

DeAnne, I loved your tut. I am new on the hh and the tut was easy to understand, and hats off to your daughter for the lovely pics. Again good job and thanks.

Michelle
Old 2008-11-05, 10:57am
I speak Murrini!

Just for fun, I thought I'd add that this method works very well with the Precision 104 Black Pearl glass as well...

Look at this little cutie:

De

Old 2008-11-22, 8:20am
loves glass rods

Default ventilation

I was admiring you studio setup. I also noted your stress on good ventilation. Is that little tube thing to the left of your set up the ventilation thing? what do you reccommend for small space and budget.
Thanks
Old 2008-11-22, 11:27pm
I speak Murrini!

Aw, thanks for the compliments - my "space" has changed a bit! The "tube" thingie you see in these older pics. is a "rod warmer" (actually a curling iron warmer available at beauty supply stores, like Sally's and also on eBay - check "Gold N Rod Warmer" I this is the right search...). I have since installed an overhead ventilation such as would go over a range, which was bought at Home Depot - it could be a better "draw" with a more powerful fan, but it's better than nothing for the time being. Sorry I don't have current pictures, but if you search on here, probably in the "Safety" section under "ventilation" I'm sure you'll find a lot more info.!

Good luck to you - PM me if you think I can help with anything else...

DeAnne in CA

Old 2008-11-23, 7:39am
loves glass rods

A curling iron warmer, how funny for me, how clever for you. Ha. Dang I don't want a venta hood.... I will go to the safety section. Thanks so much
Old 2008-11-23, 10:52am
I speak Murrini!

Mel...

Be sure to check "Studio" too - it probably has even better ventilation help and advice; sorry about that, it was late when I posted :

Check here:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

De

Old 2008-11-23, 11:03am

Also very important to have lots of Propel, you don't want to get dehydrated
Old 2008-11-23, 11:15am
loves glass rods

I have looked thru part of the safety posts with little luck. I have to have things spelled out in simple color by the number instructions, LOL. I looked up Mike Auraleus' site but too technical for me. So sad. I''ll try studio as well. i need some of the same type of instructions to get my kiln going. I can't figure it out from the booklet that came with it.
I have had it for several months but whenever I try to figure it out....my eyes glaze over and I give up!
Old 2008-11-23, 12:56pm
I speak Murrini!

What type of kiln do you have? There are so many, it would help to know what 'cha got! Chances are that someone here has the same type you have and can give you step-by-step guidance. If it's any help, I have a Paragon SC2BD, the small one with the bead door. If you have a digital controller, this video on You Tube might help you to glean the basics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyJc0tiwi1Y

I have the full instruction booklet which tells how to modify and personalize a program to ramp up, hold (for a duration of your choice) ramp down in stages and hold before shutting off to slowly cool.

I suggest maybe putting a posting in the "Tips, Techniques and Questions" Section here on LE (separate threads for each topic so you can keep replies all straight!) such as:

"Need Help Programing (insert name of kiln here)" and
"Need Help Setting Up Sm. Studio Ventilation"

Hope this can get you more answers and guidance!

DeAnne

Old 2008-11-23, 6:10pm
loves glass rods

wow you have been so sweet. i will follow your advise. I have a jen ken kiln with a bead door. it can take 6 programs I think.
Old 2008-11-25, 4:47pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I tried this with Triton and WOW - thanks so much Deanne!

Old 2008-11-26, 11:02am
I speak Murrini!

More than wow, Amber - WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Just gorgeous!!! I'm so impressed! I have a 1/4 lb. of Triton and haven't tried it yet - now I absolutely MUST!!!

Theses are just beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeAnne in CA

Old 2008-11-26, 11:22am

Amber...Those beads Rock!!!! I love the colors you got out of those. They look so primitive

Old 2008-11-26, 11:27am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Thanks so much!

Old 2009-05-09, 1:36pm

I've been lampworking since 2002 long before the new silver glasses came out. All we had were the blowers colors like Reichenbach and Kugler that reduced. I've always just turned up the Hot Head flame and dipped the bead down into the blue flame for a couple of seconds. The Hot Head is already a slightly reducing flame. This method works just fine with the blowers colors. I've not had much time to try the new silver glasses.

DeAnne have you ever tried this method? If so, does covering the holes produce a superior reduction on the TAG, DH or Precision? I'd love to know if in your experience you've found that your method is better than the other.

Thanks a bunch,
Tamara
Old 2009-05-10, 5:28pm
I speak Murrini!

Tamara~

No, I've not tried your method - and since the disappearance of MAPP and the introduction of MapPro in it's place, I'm not sure how well this would work. Personally, I've found the MapPro product to be far less consistent in terms of "clean burn" and have had some down right dirty sessions depending on the canister of MapPro. I found, interestingly, if I take the white cap off the MapPro prior to purchasing and check to see that there is no "rust" or other ugly residue on the screw portion of the can, I have better luck finding clean burning MapPro. The ones that look kind of cruddy there seem to really give me fits!!!

Since I seem to soot up anything with the flame turned up HIGH, no matter how careful I am, when I crank the Hot Head to a high flame, I'd hesitate to even bother trying since I'm so used to using the glove by now. I would figure the higher the flame is turned, for my poor old Hot Head at least, it wouldn't matter where in the flame I flashed the bead - it would get all sooty and nasty.

If you've had success with your "high flame" technique still, though, maybe you'd give the glove a try (which doesn't require the flame to be cranked up) and see how the results compare and if you end up, in the long run, not burning through the gas quite as fast as you would turning it on full blast.

Keep up posted please!

De

Last edited by theglasszone; 2009-08-17 at 1:33am.
Old 2009-05-10, 7:54pm
Creatrixie

Gorgeous beads, Amber! The gold almost makes me think of "Aurae"

Now I'm inspired to try out some of my reduction glasses once I've got my studio back up and running De...thanks!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-07-15, 1:12pm
I speak Murrini!

Aw, thanks Cindy for resurrecting it I hope you find it helpful...

De

Old 2009-07-20, 8:50pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

OMG DeAnne.... I just saw this tutorial. Wow, cool tutorial and I can't wait to get my Hot Head so I can start making beads and maybe someday be able to apply this technique. Plus, I love the little Hobgoblin in your photos....can't wait to purchase more from you........

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2009-07-20, 11:34pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks Sandy! This was originally posted some time ago - but tried and true - it's effective on many of the Silver Glasses, even some of the newer ones!

Can't wait for you to get started - you're gonna love melting glass!

De

Old 2009-07-24, 1:09pm

Thanks for this tutorial! I'm going to give it a try when I have a chance (and get some Black Nebula).