Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2008-06-09, 9:02am

Default Honeycomb-ish style pendant tutorial

Here is a quick photo tutorial on a pendant using a type of honeycomb technique.

photo 1- I wrap a few layers of clear on the end of a small diameter tube.
photo 2- starting where my clear left off I coil pot a color (blue thunder I believe), and melt it in slightly...puffing on the tube as needed.
photo 3-I heat the clear and the color and blow out a thing bubble.
photo 4-add clear dots the the color. I usually start with a dot in the center and work out from there.
photo 5-I melt the dots in and using gravity melt the bubble into more of a flat disc shape.
photo 6-heating this disc and another rod I encase the color in clear.
photo 7-I heat the edge of the tube where it meets the disc and blow it out, removing the tube. I then clean up the edges.
photo 8-I add a backing color and then punty to the front and remove the clear rod. Then shape the glass in a mold.
photo 9-attach a punty to the top of the pendant and remove the one on the back.
photo 10- using gravity, heat the pendant and let it begin to droop down.
photo 11- punty the the bottom and make your loop.

remove punty and place pendant on tongue.

well, I suppose you don't have to do that last step, in fact, maybe you shouldn't.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-06-09, 9:04am

photos 6,7,8
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-09, 9:05am

photos 9,10,11
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-09, 9:09am
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

wow. that's so cool. Thank you for sharing it. =)

Giving
a try!
Old 2008-06-09, 9:18am
Cake for me too please

Jesse,
Wow that is beautiful. Thanks for sharing and pictures always help us newbies!
Old 2008-06-09, 9:18am
Pyro Tyro

Very cool! Are those tubes boro? Or what?

- newbie Jill

Old 2008-06-09, 9:19am

Jill,

yep, it's all boro.

Old 2008-06-09, 11:09am
I speak Murrini!

Very cool!!! I figured there would be some "likeness" in terms of glass behavior to the "Dragon Scale" bead...in that the dots would begin to pull toward one another, thus creating the "honeycomb" effect. The boro, though - on the clear tube - very different and wonderful in it's own right!

Now how come no one else has remarked on the very last "step"? I, for one, would probably choose to SKIP IT!!! Ha...for someone who's head is usually in the clouds, this one really jumped out and BIT ME!!!!

Thanks for sharing!
DeAnne

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-06-09, 11:29am
Pyro Tyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Now how come no one else has remarked on the very last "step"? I, for one, would probably choose to SKIP IT!!! Ha...for someone who's head is usually in the clouds, this one really jumped out and BIT ME!!!!

Thanks for sharing!
DeAnne
LOL.... I guess I'm visual... I mostly looked at the pics!

Boro, huh? Is there a soft glass equivalent of those tubes??

- Jill

Old 2008-06-09, 12:05pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Jesse that is way cool, thanks for taking the time to make pics and all ( btw my sons name is Jesse too)

Old 2008-06-09, 2:17pm
Isinglass Design

Great instructions, nice pendant!

Laurie

Last edited by glassbead; 2008-06-09 at 2:17pm. Reason: misspelling!
Old 2009-03-16, 11:04am
I fart diamonds

bump

Old 2009-03-16, 2:25pm
Yeah me!

Hey thanks for bumping this up!!
Question... can this same technique be modified to do without the tubing? Could I just use a large gather of glass?

Old 2009-03-16, 3:32pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey*bee View Post
Hey thanks for bumping this up!!
Question... can this same technique be modified to do without the tubing? Could I just use a large gather of glass?
Yes, it can be done on solid rod.

Old 2009-03-16, 3:50pm
boro color bender

Kinda... you don't get the depth you'll get by allowing the tube deflate and reduce in size. A solid gather doesn't do this... and for regular honeycombs, it's crucial... for this pendant version, you might be able to just melt in some dots... still it won't have the same depth as the one shown.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-03-16, 5:14pm
birdergirl ~o~

Damn you boro!!!!
LOL!!!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-03-16, 6:29pm
Yeah me!

Could I do it with soft glass tube??

Old 2009-03-17, 3:17am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey*bee View Post
Could I do it with soft glass tube??
Yes and I don't think Brent was saying it can't be done with solid rod. I think he was just saying that it wouldn't be exactly the same. I know from experience that it can be done, since I pretty much never work with tubing. It's close enough that anyone other than another glassworker wouldn't notice the difference.

Old 2009-03-17, 3:47am
boro color bender

I think the best way to get depth with rod is to make sure your maria is as big as possible. Not a lot of glass, just a wider base. I some times I enlarge my maria (of thin it out), by pressing down and then using my parallel mashers on the edges while it's still hot. Squish repeatedly and fast as you turn the maria around between the plates. It's the thickening of the glass after the dots are applied that gives depth. Dots applied to the surface will only sink in so far... and they tend to spread out as well. If done on a tube, the dots actually get smaller and deeper as you deflate the bubble... it would really depend on how much depth you're after whether or not you'd notice a difference. There are definite advantages to using tubing for this sort of thing... the depth tubing offers is well worth the learning curve.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-03-17, 5:14am
Yeah me!

Cool, thanks for the tips! I can't wait to try this. I will probably order some tubing so I can try it both ways. I have some large diameter clear so maybe I'll get some torch time today and can give it a try.

Old 2009-03-17, 9:45am
Broken

This is essentially the same technique used with silvered glass to get those lovely deep dots you see. Try it in silvered glass on a bead instead of a maria and you'll get lovely results.

Old 2009-03-17, 9:48am
Yeah me!

How would I do that? Just add dots of silver glass and encase?

Old 2009-03-17, 9:49am
Broken

Lay down your silvered glass dots, strike or reduce and encase. You'll get lots of lovely color and depth.

Old 2009-03-17, 10:13am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
This is essentially the same technique used with silvered glass to get those lovely deep dots you see. Try it in silvered glass on a bead instead of a maria and you'll get lovely results.
That's why I bumped this post.

Old 2009-03-17, 2:22pm
Yeah me!

Cool! I have slowly built up my inventory of silver glass so I have to try soon! Hopefully tonight or tomorrow as I have to go to the laundromat.

Old 2009-05-23, 9:31pm
don't burn your fingers!

Brent, If you are following this, or anyone else!! I always have trouble with my tubing when I blow it out. It seems to be thinner in some spots, and not blow out evenly. I was told to get my gather hotter, and I did (soupy hot), but it still had the thin spots. I was thinking that I might need a different flame?? I am kinda lost on it! HELP!
Old 2009-05-24, 8:18am
The Battle of Boro Boro

Scout - That is the tricky thing about tubing work. For the issue you are dealing with you need to focus on two things...

1) Thickness of gather on all sides of the blowtube needs to be the same or very close to the same.

2) Heatbase. You can get your gather as hot as you want to...but if it is a uneven heatbase, the hotter glass will ALWAYS thin out on you no matter how careful you are.

Practice, practice, practice is the key....and soon it will come.

I had LOTS of practice trying to overcome this SAME issue when I started tube work.

Cheers.
Old 2009-05-24, 8:39am

Hey thanks I have just started to do a bit of boro and these little tuts are like gold.

Old 2009-05-24, 9:07am
don't burn your fingers!

SleepyCreekGlass,
Thank you! that's what I thought I would have to do, Practice, practice, and practice! I actually have a ton of tubing that is in the form of pulled points, and bad bubbles, but I am determined to get it!! I have not decided which I like better, a blow tube attached, or a point to work from, but I will keep at it!
Old 2009-05-24, 5:03pm
Living out Loud

Thanksss sooooo much!! I'm going to try it soon!!