Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-06-07, 9:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Brent, If you are following this, or anyone else!! I always have trouble with my tubing when I blow it out. It seems to be thinner in some spots, and not blow out evenly. I was told to get my gather hotter, and I did (soupy hot), but it still had the thin spots. I was thinking that I might need a different flame?? I am kinda lost on it! HELP!

If you wait a second before blowing out, your glass will even the temps a little better. Then blow slowly. As you blow slowly, the thin spots cool a little faster (because they are thinner) and everything evens out.

That is kind of hard to explain I guess. It is best when doing bigger things. Sometimes I'll use a series of little puffs rather than a continuous puff. (spinning everything the whole time of course). Hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-06-09, 7:33am
Glassy Broad :-)

Morning all!!! I work only in soft glass, and I don't have any tubing, (it's on the "list" tho!) There are a couple of ways to do this and achieve the same effect.
You can use a hollow mandrel and blow out a nice bubble OR, make a hollow bead on a regular mandrel, get it nice and round, add your dots, and start covering the dots with clear dots. Just keep going, and going and going. LOL!!! I get the same depth, and the loverly colors, only using my ever-so-pretty 104 glass. I'll post pictures after I get everything moved and set up again. Hope this helps? AND I hope I'm not sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong, lol
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2009-06-09, 10:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitadee View Post
Morning all!!! I work only in soft glass, and I don't have any tubing, (it's on the "list" tho!) There are a couple of ways to do this and achieve the same effect.
You can use a hollow mandrel and blow out a nice bubble OR, make a hollow bead on a regular mandrel, get it nice and round, add your dots, and start covering the dots with clear dots. Just keep going, and going and going. LOL!!! I get the same depth, and the loverly colors, only using my ever-so-pretty 104 glass. I'll post pictures after I get everything moved and set up again. Hope this helps? AND I hope I'm not sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong, lol
Nita
Great idea Nita. : )
Now this is on my list of things to try.

Thanks for all the great tips ya'll.

Amelia

ps: Nita, your nose is fine. Dont worry bout it. : )
Old 2009-06-09, 7:11pm

I would do the last step only after it has been cooled
Old 2009-06-09, 9:20pm

Thanks for this tutorial. It's very inspiring and gives me a good reason or two to get my boro and silver glasses out again!

I'm soooo glad I didn't sell my boro!
Old 2011-12-28, 10:35pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Depending on the size tubing, you need a certain size torch-not just to blow the bubble, but to keep the whole thing warm enough so it doesn't crack while you are putting down dots.

Last edited by gmkcpa; 2011-12-28 at 10:36pm. Reason: To finish the sentence. Duh.
Old 2012-08-07, 5:21am
Simply Bea

Bump.....another technique on my 'to-do' list...
Thanks for the neat tute....

/

Last edited by Bea; 2012-08-07 at 5:21am. Reason: Spelling error!!!
Old 2013-05-21, 10:15pm
I fart diamonds

bump

Old 2014-01-15, 12:49pm
Don't worry, bead happy!

Shawnette,

Is this the technique you used for the body of the awesome sea turtle you were wearing when we met in Orlando?

Bretta
Old 2014-01-17, 12:50pm

FAIR WARNING!!
honeycombs are addictive.
Old 2014-01-17, 8:38pm
grama punky - class junky

Very cool. Thanks!

Old 2014-03-12, 6:01pm

Thank you, thank you ! Much appreciated, just started lamp work and tips like this are very very helpful !
Old 2014-03-19, 1:15pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretta View Post
Shawnette,

Is this the technique you used for the body of the awesome sea turtle you were wearing when we met in Orlando?

Bretta
Just saw this! No, the turtle I wear is an implosion.

Old 2014-03-19, 2:32pm
Don't worry, bead happy!

Thanks, Shawnette!
Old 2014-07-17, 8:28pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Bump!

Because I wanna try this tomorrow

Old 2014-07-29, 6:58am
Formerly FishBulb

Hey, this is very cool! How did I not see this before? Thank you for sharing this!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2015-09-05, 8:12am
I fart diamonds

Bump

Old 2015-09-05, 4:33pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Well, I attempted one just now. I didn't have my laptop or anything with me so I just went by what I could remember from reading the post a couple dozen times. Will post a pic as soon as get it out of the kiln. =) This was fun.

Old 2015-09-05, 5:45pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Now there are two... I like the overall shape of this one... but I need to get the pattern down... I had come back to the 'puter and google 'cause I couldn't remember if honeycomb is five or six sides...

Old 2015-09-05, 7:28pm
Phill

Thanks for the bump Shawnette.

This is going into my things to try next list right at the top.
Old 2015-09-05, 7:35pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I now have 3 in the kiln. I have yet to get a nice dot pattern down. But the pendant part is getting better. Off to google again. =)

Old 2015-09-06, 5:58am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
I now have 3 in the kiln. I have yet to get a nice dot pattern down. But the pendant part is getting better. Off to google again. =)
My dot patterns suck, but I don't care. I should probably practice more. I should probably actually do some prep and at least have the proper rods ready, but I don't care to do that, either... I'm the worst.

Old 2015-09-06, 10:37am
"Sinners have soul too"

I saw you on Periscope! I'm so glad you did that. I learned a couple things. I'll post pics in a bit, turns out... I like the first one I did better than the second and the third. I need another concentrator or a homefill so I can use the outter fire of my torch. More heat. =)

Old 2015-09-06, 11:47am
"Sinners have soul too"

My first three attempts. Middle is the first one. I like it best. On the right is the second and left is the third. Gonna play again today. =)
Attached Images

Old 2018-12-18, 5:35am
Ms

Default Honeycomb pendant

This is a wonderful tutorial and easy to follow! You've put a lot of work into making this!! Thank you for sharing.