AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-07-31, 10:47am

Default Wavey Bead Tutorial

I would like to add that I do not claim to have developed this technique. There are other ways to make a wavey bead. This is how I do it.

1. Start by making a disk about 1 inch in diameter. For this Tutorial I used SS5.

TIP: - Try to make your disk layers as skinny as possible. More layers will add to the depth of the bead and make your end result that much more interesting. I try to have atleast 5 layers or more in the disk.

2. Next, using a 6mm clear rod place a fairly large dot on the disk (does not matter which side you start on).

TIP: - Hold your mandrel perpendicular to the flame so that the disk is parrallel with the flame. Once you place your dot pull your rod toward the flame and flame cut just above the disk. (See Picture)

Place another dot the same size directly opposite of the first one.

Now place another dot inbetween the first two.

TIP: - DO NOT - touch the mandrel with the dots.
DO NOT - Let the dots touch each other.
Make your dots as large as possible without doing the above.

3. Perform the above procedure on the other side of the disk placing the dots inbetween the ones on the other side.

TIP: - These clear dots (When melted) will travel across the face of the bead creating the wave pattern. The larger the dot, the farther across the face it will travel.

TIP: - When placing dots on the face of the disk, wait for a second before pulling it towards the flame to flame cut. This will ultimatly leave more glass where you placed the dot.

4. Your next step is to melt everything down into a bead.

TIP: - When you first begin to melt down your wavey bead start by melting the tips of the dots where you flame cut them. After these are all melted down and even with the edge of the disk you can get more aggressive with the melt down.

Here is a pic before encasing it with clear

Here is a pic after encasing it with clear

Here is another example using a 3 color twistie.

1. Make your disk.

2. Apply your dots.

3. Melt it all down.

Before encasing.

After Encasing.

Final TIP: - Soft glass moves much different than Boro. Soft glass users will want to slow down the melt down. You may have to pull it out of the flame and let it cool for a few seconds, pull it out of the flame and let it cool for a few seconds, pull it out of the flame and let it cool for a few seconds, You get the idea. If you are using soft glass and you end up with a big blob and dont get that unmistakable wave pattern then your prorobably melting to fast!

I hope this helps some of the people out there that have struggled with this technique. Please post your questions and your pics.

Happy melting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-31, 10:52am
Smooches!

Yay! Rob you're the bestest! I can't wait to get home tonight & try this!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-07-31, 11:30am

Thank you so much Rob! I can't wait to try it.

Old 2008-07-31, 11:36am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Cool tutorial, thank you so much! I will try it soon.

Old 2008-07-31, 12:01pm

Even I might be able to do this....Thanks for nice clear tut.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-07-31, 12:09pm

A million Thanks! Super instructions and pics to boot.

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2008-07-31, 12:26pm
Chocoholic

So that is how it's done! Thanks so much for sharing and making it easy to understand, Rob.

Laura Lee
Old 2008-07-31, 2:06pm
Cake for me too please

Default Thank you!

YEAH ROB!!! Thank you so much. Your pictures sure do help. You are the best. I can't wait to try again. (now i just need to get my oxygen refilled...)
Old 2008-07-31, 2:18pm
Wacky but Wonderful

That is a great tutorial - I can't wait to try this. I love the different striped effect - that is so, so, so neat!

-

Old 2008-07-31, 4:50pm
Flame Dame

My wavy boro beads never looked that great....I'm going to try your technique. Thanks so much for sharing it!

Leah

Etsy ID: leahbeads
Old 2008-07-31, 5:03pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I've been making wavy beads - but I like your method better!
I'm going to try that as soon as I can steal some torch time!

Yer a Doll, Rob. .

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-07-31, 7:10pm
I wanna go back...

I found your method earlier this month in a thread and now I know what I was doing wrong - I was trying to melt it too fast!

Next time I will sloooooowwwwww down!

Thanks for the step by step photos too! They really help!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andrea: A newbie with a HotHead, bulk MAPP and a Chili Pepper.
Old 2008-07-31, 7:21pm

Just tried this tonight...don't know if I used big enough clear dots. I'll check the kiln first thing tomorrow!
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-08-01, 5:16am

Awesome...thanks, Rob. What a great tute! Samma

Old 2008-08-01, 6:01am
Macaw Mamma

This is a great tut!!
Thanks so much!

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2008-08-01, 7:17am
Spoiled

Very cool. That's not at all how I thought those type of beads were made. Thanks for posting the tutorial. And nice pictures.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Last edited by aimee; 2008-08-26 at 7:35am. Reason: typo
Old 2008-08-01, 5:03pm
yes, llamas...and ducks

Location: Langley, BC, Canada, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth.

Fantastic!! It makes me want to get up off my butt and do some!!

Flaming on a Minor with concentrator.

Old 2008-08-01, 8:34pm
Borovangelist

that's an awesome tutorial, thanks for sharing!!!

|
|
Old 2008-08-01, 10:29pm
I need more boro stuff

Awesome! I will give a try

Thanks for the tut.

Old 2008-08-01, 10:40pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

Totally awesome tut!! Thanks for that! Can't wait to try it!

Old 2008-08-02, 2:34am

Thumbs up

Thank you , great tutorial,
Antonie
Old 2008-08-02, 8:15am

Great pictures! Like the use of the twisty!

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-08-02, 8:44am

Perfect. It's so beautiful and the instructions are so simple.
It's do generous of you to share.
Thank you Rob.
Chau.
Old 2008-08-02, 10:30am
Sorry for party rockin'

Oh my gosh, THANK YOU for posting this information! I love the look of those beads and didn't know how to make them . .. . I guess I also assumed you couldn't do that in soft glass. I will definitely try this

Old 2008-08-02, 11:23am
Entropy increasing....

This is great, now I see how all y'all boro people do that.

That might be cool with the silver 104s.
Old 2008-08-02, 12:03pm
FireSculptedCouture.com

Thanks for sharing! Great photos

site is not yet available

Old 2008-08-02, 12:50pm

Wow I love this tut!!!!! Now the problem is.....how do I get my disc bead to look that good from the beginning lol....Gonna go try this soon. I am too sleep deprived to try this now!

Old 2008-08-02, 2:37pm

Hey Folks,
Just thought I would stop by and post some inspiration.

I know someone else out there has to have pics by now!!!
Attached Images

Old 2008-08-02, 3:39pm

Goodness those bead are gorgeous! Rob, thanks again!

I tried a couple..
One wanted to be round:

the other a triangle?????

Old 2008-08-02, 4:35pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
That might be cool with the silver 104s.

That's what I was thinking . . . . with Terranova II! I bet that would be YUMMMY!!!