LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-01-04, 9:53pm

Default Month in Italy

Hi! I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this, but I couldn't find anything about visiting glass places of interest including museums, glass factories, studios, etc..while travelling in Italy. I will be a month in Italy with 3 days in Venice, 2 weeks in Tuscany/Umbria and 1 week in Sorrento area and Rome. Has anyone visited Italy, and does anyone have any great ideas of what to visit and what not to bother with while I'm there, especially tips on Murano so as not to get sucked into the tourist trap thing. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I am especially interested in lampwork beads and old Roman glass. I have never seen glass made also.
Thank you so much.
Old 2015-01-04, 11:33pm
Corgi Cult Member

My SIL went on a "bead tour" and brought back several bags of beads from Murano. Every single bead was unusable! They were all cracked or chipped and completely unsafe. If you can't inspect what you are purchasing closely, don't buy. She was seriously scammed and I haven't had the heart to tell her they were garbage.

I tell you that as a "buyer beware" and not as a bad reflection on the trip. She had a wonderful time and loved all the places they visited! Sorry I don't have a copy of her itinerary anymore, but I'm sure plenty of others will chime in with first hand experience.

When my DD and I were in Rome, we found an amazing artist down a small side street from the colosseum. He made jewelry and chandeliers from plastic bottles that were cut into thin strips and melted. I always get compliments whenever I wear it. Rome is such an amazing city to walk, something incredible around every turn!

Have a wonderful trip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-01-05, 7:23am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Try here for Venice tips ..... http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ghlight=Ofilia

Lucky you!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2015-01-05, 6:18pm

I was in Murano a few years ago. It was loaded with imported Chinese beads. One local vendor in particular was pushing Chinese as Muranese. Be careful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2015-01-06, 12:17pm

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I am so very excited about this trip!!!! Almost finished my bucket list. Now, greedy me, does anyone have an address for the Effetre factory?
Old 2015-01-06, 2:05pm

In a previous life, I spent 3 months in Rome - Bought a few water colors off a street vendor near the Forum for extremely reasonable prices. Some great gift shops near the Vatican, bought a couple marble sculptural pieces, a capodimonte espresso set, inlaid wood from the factory in Sorrento and a lot of clothes LOL. Ironically I wasn't into glass back then so I didn't visit any of the glass studios. My glass obsession started right after this consulting job after acquiring almost 2 mil delta FF miles and is how I got into glass in the first place - (a story for another time)

But I have always been into art and there are some amazing things to be had from street vendors and from the gift shops. The local wines were awesome - That's where I pretty much discovered Pinot Grigio.

Make it a point to visit and take the tour of the inlaid wood factory in Sorrento.

Beware of cute little kids - (gypsies) - I was constantly told they are gonna grope, bump and poke at you so that you don't realize you just got robbed, or so I was always told - never had it happen to me and I pretty much walked everywhere! Visited the Sistine chapel and stood at the top of the dome at St Peters basilica - amazing!

Loved Rome - could live there no problem! Got to see Sorrento, Capri and Naples too - My only regret - Had the chance to go to Venice and Florence with my co-workers for a quick visit and I didn't cash in on it....they went, I didn't and I was sorry I didn't.

I was asked to stay an additional 3 months, which I had accepted, but I got pulled off that project by the VP of our company to go salvage a failing project in New Orleans - which was a huge let down from Rome but I can at least say I have been to New Orleans - also spent 3 months in New Orleans and I'll leave it at that /wink

Have fun! I am jealous - The Italians were extremely gracious and accommodating. I felt welcome everywhere I went and I don't think it was my blonde hair and blue eyes that made the diff LOL. Italy is a magical place.

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2015-01-06 at 4:12pm.
Old 2015-01-07, 10:27am
A True Woofer

Unfortunately you can't just walk in to the Effetre factory and buy glass.

Old 2015-01-07, 11:50am
Corgi Cult Member

We didn't experience gypsies, but there were many African immigrants who were selling stuff on the streets. One scam to be wary of is near the Spanish Steps. The sellers will hand you a flower and if you touch it, they consider it sold, then get nasty about payment. Fortunately my DD knew about this one from studying abroad. We were at the steps on Beautification Day and the sellers were everywhere harassing people. "Don't touch the flowers, don't look them in the eye" was her advice.

Old 2015-01-09, 9:03am

Hi! Effetre in Murano is in Fondamenta San Giovanni dei Battuti (get out at the Murano Faro and turn right, straight on) but it's true that you are allowed to buy from the effetre murano only if you are a professional( and you have to buy at least 60 kg/ 10 kg per color). If you want to buy a different quantity you can write to their storage in massanzago at comm.murano@effetre.com.. Esmeralda will give you all the information about pricing and shipping.
Otherwise you can visit Linea arte vetro (Rivalonga 51/53, close to the Museo Stop). This is a storage that sell Effetre glass rods without any limit of weight.