No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-01-01, 2:18pm
Formerly SirWatson

Default Outdoor Propane Storage

Hi all! I'm gearing up for the next phase in my studio construction, however, I had a question related to how you store your propane outside. First of all, I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed.

I use a standard BBQ propane cylinder that is currently attached to a flashback arrestor, a regulator and then my torch. Once my studio is moved to my shed, I'm wondering what is the appropriate way to store the propane outside, but not in a way where the elements will damage the arrestor and/or regulator.

Can I use a hard pipe to get the propane from the BBQ tank to the inside of my studio and then have a regulator/arrestor connected on the inside of my shed? Or do those items have to be connected directly to the tank?

If they do need to be connected to the tank, then I was thinking about building a wooden box (complete with shingles on the roof) to keep the tank dry and etc. However, the box wouldn't be air tight so humidity could still affect the arrestor and regulator. So, I then thought about buying some sort plastic container (like a rubbermaid storage crate), but didn't know if the regulator and arrestor would be okay in the extreme temperatures of the winter and especially the summer.

So...what are your alls thoughts? Any information would be great! Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<><
Old 2007-01-01, 4:54pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWatson View Post
Hi all! I'm gearing up for the next phase in my studio construction, however, I had a question related to how you store your propane outside. First of all, I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed.

I use a standard BBQ propane cylinder that is currently attached to a flashback arrestor, a regulator and then my torch. Once my studio is moved to my shed, I'm wondering what is the appropriate way to store the propane outside, but not in a way where the elements will damage the arrestor and/or regulator.

Can I use a hard pipe to get the propane from the BBQ tank to the inside of my studio and then have a regulator/arrestor connected on the inside of my shed? Or do those items have to be connected directly to the tank?

If they do need to be connected to the tank, then I was thinking about building a wooden box (complete with shingles on the roof) to keep the tank dry and etc. However, the box wouldn't be air tight so humidity could still affect the arrestor and regulator. So, I then thought about buying some sort plastic container (like a rubbermaid storage crate), but didn't know if the regulator and arrestor would be okay in the extreme temperatures of the winter and especially the summer.

So...what are your alls thoughts? Any information would be great! Thank you!
Lots of discussion about this in "safety" forum....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-01-03, 10:18am
Frit frit and more frit!

Here's a quick piccy of my storage with lift off roof.
Name:  propane store.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  36.2 KB

SAM xx
Old 2007-01-06, 1:57pm

Heres mine as per other studio pic. Bought a abeit expensive prefab garden tool box. Drilled a few holes in side.

Holds 2 tanks easily and have quick connects on both. Makes it easy to change tanks or reconnect. Not connecting when im not working. Sure its above freezing and no snow but for Canada right now it should be below zero and a foot of snow.

Box was about $90 Cdn.

Oh yes, I have nothing inside right now but im planning to put a simple outdoor 60watt lightbulb (with that protective screen that auto mechanics might use). And because im a techie I will put a remote thermometer inside. My guess, and its only a guess, but a single 60 watt or maybe 100 watt would put off enough heat.. but far from dangerous heat and be able to hold off the chill for WHEN it does drop to -30. Cant help with the summer heat though, those tanks will bake at whatever temperature they find fit.
Attached Images

Last edited by pmoores; 2007-01-06 at 2:05pm.
Old 2007-01-06, 6:50pm

I have mine in a garbage can that is plastic. I drilled holes in the sides of the bottom for ventilation and then a hole in the side for the hoses to go through. The lid is on when not in use.

Rose Leslie
Old 2007-01-06, 7:41pm
Formerly SirWatson

Thanks for the pics! They really help!

<><
Old 2007-01-11, 2:57pm

Update oh oh,, and dont do what I did, left the hood up in light rain, then it went to minus 10 over next day or 2. Quick connects frozen, took some messing around with cold metal in lower temperatures to get them to work.

Keep that top closed unless your physically turning valves.
Old 2007-01-11, 8:52pm
The Glass Smithy

Excuse my ignorance. Aren’t propane tanks stored outside of enclosures so if they leak dangerous fumes do not build up? If stored inside where fumes from a leak do build up would that not be as dangerous as having it in your shop of house? I have always seen propane tanks stored in locked screened enclosures. I am guessing that is to keep people from tampering with them and so any leaks will not build up a dangerous amount of gas in the area. Since propane is heaver than air, I am guessing that a cover over the top would be ok but that the sides have to allow for lots of ventilations. These are my thoughts. Please let me know if I am wrong!
Old 2007-01-12, 1:28pm
Frit frit and more frit!

On the one I posted, you can't see on the photo, but all around the bottom 10-12" there are large holes for venting about 3/4" across and from about 15" high, the back is open too, with a gap between it and the wall.
Old 2007-01-13, 11:52am
Retired to the flame

see this thread please!!!
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13208
Old 2007-01-13, 5:43pm
William Hagy

Wait a second......I thought the cooler box and the little wood shed was a good idea. ~Think about the gas soaking into the wood...the enclosed tanks have me spooked!! I have storedtanks outside for years I used a large steel bowl to cover the gauges when I had a 60gal or even a 5gal unit.