Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-06-17, 2:52pm
Pyromaniac

Default Blowing Wine Bottles?

Has anyone ever tried to blow a wine or other bottle -- in other words -- take an empty bottle, torch it and reshape to whatever vessel you like? You've basically got a blow hole at one end and you could shape the body any way you want.

Am I going to end up with shard of glass all over my face and body, LOL?

If bottles are soda lime, can this even be done?
If adding decoration, I wonder if we could use 103 frit, cane or stringer.

Curious . . .

Lana
Old 2007-06-17, 3:20pm

I've only heard bottle rumors.....rumors I've heard......you can slump them in to really nifty spoon holder thingies (ummmm....okay, I mean how many spoon holder thingies does the world need?).....I've heard that the glass used in those bottles isn't compatable with any other kind of glass....(surely it's compatable with SOME glass, but which ones....) I've not heard of anyone trying to blow them out into something...I mean you could pull a few down to make punties with so that you have a way to work them....I don't know...it's a cool idea....I'd try ramping them up in a kiln before I went sticking them in the flame, but wonder what the annealing temp is?....garage temp?....I want to see A.) The glass art you come up with or in the alternative B.) the burns......good luck.
Old 2007-06-17, 3:41pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkogal View Post
Has anyone ever tried to blow a wine or other bottle -- in other words -- take an empty bottle, torch it and reshape to whatever vessel you like? You've basically got a blow hole at one end and you could shape the body any way you want.

Am I going to end up with shard of glass all over my face and body, LOL?

If bottles are soda lime, can this even be done?
If adding decoration, I wonder if we could use 103 frit, cane or stringer.

Curious . . .

Lana
In theory, if you could apply sufficiently even heat, you could blow them to reshape - but I expect the kind of torch used for lampworking isn't even close to a big enough flame. Unless you can heat the entire glass surface uniformly, it DEFINITELY will crack. It's more likely to work if you heat them in a kiln preparatory to blowing.

Wine bottles would be in the same range as float glass (COE 82 to 86).
Fusing on anything COE 103 ain't gunna happen.

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-06-17, 3:48pm
Dangerous Woman

I've cut and melted wine and beer bottles and made beads and icecicles (sp?) out of them. I've had no problem using goldstone with them but that is all - I didn't try to use frit or combine it with any other glass.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-06-17, 3:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post
In theory, if you could apply sufficiently even heat, you could blow them to reshape - but I expect the kind of torch used for lampworking isn't even close to a big enough flame. Unless you can heat the entire glass surface uniformly, it DEFINITELY will crack. It's more likely to work if you heat them in a kiln preparatory to blowing.

Wine bottles would be in the same range as float glass (COE 82 to 86).
Fusing on anything COE 103 ain't gunna happen.
If you really wanted to do this, you'd be better off heating it first in a kiln. Then, you'd want one of the bigger torches to work it.

But, having said that, the glass is formulated to go through automated machinery, and not to be blown by mouth. It would be very, VERY stiff, and have a very narrow working temperature.

And, like Dennis said, you won't be able to mix in any 104 glass.

I learned to blow glass (offhand blowing) in collage, where they *tried* to use recycled glass. We had to flux the hell out of it to get it to move. Overall, a frustrating and disappointing experience.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2007-06-30, 6:22pm
William Hagy

I have and it is best to have a small glory hole or a good sized torch with compressed air....other than tha I used to watch them torch bottles at the carnival when I was a kid and they just streched the bottles out 2 feet or so ~lol.

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2007-06-30, 6:34pm
Pyromaniac

I think I should try it! You guys are so fun to be open to this crazy idea -- always thinking of new things, can't help it. If I'm brave enough I will post my results . . .

Lana