Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-07-31, 4:45pm

Default Beadable Pens

What in your opinion is the best type of bead for these pens? I have 11 of them that I have to make for Judges gives for an upcoming show in September. I've made the long barrels but can't find the middle ground for size..they are either too much or too little.

Figures maybe I'd try Bicones and donuts or rounds next. Any suggestions from those that have done them?

Becky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-07-31, 4:55pm
Uh Oh....

Not really an opinion but I use the beads I normally make and those are smaller beads. I don't make barrels or bicones or focals so I use mainly round or donuts. I make a bunch of beads, then use some base metal spacer beads in between them. Here's an example:

It's much easier than trying to make one bead to fit the pens. If I have extra space, I'll add a spacer bead on the bottom or top if I need to but I try to make them like this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-07-31, 6:19pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I like long tube beads.

Vivian

-

Old 2013-07-31, 6:58pm

those are both beautiful. where i had my problem on the tubes was the sizes. It really bugged me for some reason that the ends of the beads were not the same size as the ends of the pen LOL
Old 2013-07-31, 7:29pm
It's all about the color.

Isn't there a BeadRoller for that? Yep, it's BR-401 LETTER OPENER - BEADPEN It's about halfway down the page.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2013-07-31, 7:31pm

Oh..thank you Kay. I will have to look at that. Was saving money for the larger lentil press but may have to change gears. I'll know more after the weekend.
Old 2013-07-31, 11:43pm

You're welcome Becky. I was thinking about getting one myself - there's just a few other things I want to get first. If you get it, let me know how it works for you. I have 5 of the pens here that I'm too chicken to do the long tube beads for.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2013-07-31, 11:54pm

I mark up my over-the-torch marver or a metal ruler with the width of each beadpen's edges and length of the beading area (use a Sharpy), and measure the barrel bead against it while I'm making it until they're close to the same sizes. Then add a skinny metal bead on each end and/or a rubber spacer as necessary, and it looks good. Practicing really helps develop an eye for the sizing.
Old 2013-08-01, 1:26am

I have it, just made a tube bead for a pen tonight, will let you know how it goes.

Old 2013-08-01, 4:20am

Oopsie...I need my eyes checked or more coffee (or both) I read the title as "Beadable Penis." I was asking myself "what will someone think of next?!?" LOL

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2013-08-01, 11:35am

I can't wait to see.

Last edited by Listenup; 2013-08-01 at 4:15pm.
Old 2013-08-02, 8:00am
Glass-aholic

You can always snip the top with bolt cutters and epoxy the cap on if its too long... I use tiny o rings as spacers at the top and bottom and again glue. I also mark my bench with the length. It screws at the top and bottom so you have a bit of leeway to unscrew it to fit a tiny bit. Just remember to glue if u are not screwing it in all the way.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-08-02, 8:31am
Melody of Glass

Jaci, that's an excellent idea! I hadn't thought to shorten it. You may have saved one of my previous pen beads. Thanks

Becky, I'm with you. I like the smooth transition from pen to bead. I've been struggling to find the right tools to do it. I ended up buying open-ended tube beadrollers for it. I think the idea tool would be the multi-tool from Bavarian Beads so you can still get the crisp edges. The other thing I've considered is using my letter opener/pen tube bead roller and then squaring off the edges. Maybe I'll give that a go today.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-08-02, 9:22am
Uh Oh....

Does shortening the pens change the balance of them? I'd like to see one of the tube beads made with the CG roller. I'm wondering if the tube beads make the pen a bit lighter.

Old 2013-08-02, 11:03am
Glass-aholic

The balance is different every pen due to the difference in weight of the beads put on them anyways, so it shouldn't make a big difference. If anything shortening them would increase the balance, as there is less top weight. I'm not talking about cutting it in half or anything, although I'm pretty sure it wouldn't hurt...

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: