The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-19, 12:55pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Default Rubino

Hi'ya everyone!

what is rubino supposed to do? I've read, you can do blah blah blah if you can make a rubino bead.

I've read about spots, discolouration, getting it the right colour.

It turns silver when reduced.

So, what is it's "highest potential"

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-19, 12:58pm

Sarah Hornik has a fantastic tutorial on pink rubino beads that you can buy on line, and she describes many, many beautiful things you can do with rubino glass and how to work it.

www.glassbysarah.com/ebooks/thinkpink/buy.html

Last edited by LisaF; 2011-04-19 at 1:01pm.
Old 2011-04-19, 1:52pm
Triumphantly Knit!

thanks Lisa,
I notice that my rod turns the prettiest shade of dark violet but I can't get my beads to turn the colour. I wonder if that's a HH issue. I LOVE the raspberriesh pink/red that I do get. Not so much the all silver. I have to now try putting other things on top of it when it's silver.
I have to wait a bit before getting any more tuts, but I will keep that one in mind.
namaste

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Old 2011-04-19, 2:08pm
Lampworkaholic!

A Hothead tends to be a bit reducing so it is hard to work rubino. Rubino works best as a thin layer, otherwise it is too saturated. Try a thin layer of rubino on a white or clear base. Another trick is to encase the thin layer of rubino with clear and then you can spend time on surface decoration without scorching the rubino. One more thing to try is rose cane. Make a gather of white on a clean mandrel. Encase with rubino, then encase with clear. Heat evenly and pull into a stringer. That makes a nice pink stringer for roses and for raised stringer designs.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-04-20, 11:57am
Triumphantly Knit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice View Post
yum yum yum

thank you, that is helpful info

Old 2011-04-20, 1:00pm
addicted to dichro

Don't forget that rubino strikes, it needs to be heated and cooled a few times to bring out the color especially if you are using it in small quantities.

Old 2011-04-20, 1:42pm
Duchess of Dichro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaF View Post
Sarah Hornik has a fantastic tutorial on pink rubino beads that you can buy on line, and she describes many, many beautiful things you can do with rubino glass and how to work it.

I second this! Sarah's tutorial is great!!!

Old 2011-04-20, 3:57pm
Apparently Invisible

There are also several different batches of Rubino. I have seen/used several myself. One is, unfortunatey or fortunately depending on what your goal is to achieve with it,a dark almost purple instead of the much sought after raspberry color. There is Rocky Rubino, which IIRC, is the right color but some people do not like the tiny 'rocks' in it. I have had no trouble with it myself, but then again, it has been a while since I used it.
Sometimes if it goes silver, you can oxidize it and turn the color back. Very difficult too do on a HH, try working higher up in the flame. The bad news for me was that once silvered, there may be specks yyou must pull out with tweezers or something to take them out. My first dollface I made in Anne Ricketts class has one of these in its cheek. I didn't notice until AFTER I annealed it. Her class was AWESOME, BTW!

Old 2011-04-21, 12:12pm

Smile

Hi Namaste-

I'm going to second what Karen said. I have a batch of rubino, clear, that turns a nasty dark purple color when it strikes- total failure (might be Vetrofond's version). I have another that does not change from a lightish pink (bleh), and one that is great- it starts out a pinkish color and then strikes to a dark raspberry color- like in these beads (sorry about the pic- but you can see the color- it is white encased with rubino and then with clear):

Years ago, in a box of shorts from Franz, I got a pencil-thin rod of silver pink (clear) that struck to the perfect pink- have been on the hunt for more ever since Laura
Attached Images

Old 2011-04-21, 12:14pm

Smile

Oh gosh, I meant to add, Credit River Art Glass has some beautiful beads where she used rubino on opal yellow- she created some nice effects with this conbo. And Sarah's tutorial is very helpful, I'm on a HH too and she has some tricks that work Laura

Old 2011-04-21, 12:39pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I notice that part of the rod turns purple down below the point where it was in the flame. the devardi annealer also turns it that colour purple but I can't get it to do that. I like it's intensity, even if it isn't supposed to look like that, I'm a rule breaker!
I tried encasing it last night over opal yellow and I burned the colour out of part of it, got the brown spots, so now I see what that means.
I did use it successfully in my first berries and leaves bead,but this computer isn't reading my mem card so when I get some energy I will be posting pics in the gallery or newbie gallery or somewhere....now that I know HOW to do it and found a computer that will read the card.
Namaste
Rowyn

Old 2011-04-21, 2:17pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Thank you for the link Kandice! I read your blog all the time but I missed this one somehow.

Old 2011-04-22, 8:17am
Butterfly Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaF View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliedana1 View Post
I second this! Sarah's tutorial is great!!!
Fantastic tutorial!

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2011-04-22, 10:12am
Oinky Oink!

Quote:
Kandice,
Thanks for the link. It's fantastic!
More color testing please!!! Your use of colors is so wonderful!

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde