Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-31, 4:05am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimp View Post
I'm sorry Kristina, I totally missed your question here. The only advice that I can give, is to make sure that you have ample glass before you press. You can always tweeze off the excess. Once I get the proper amount, I super heat the bead back up and then do a 90 degree turn of the mandrel so that the sides of the bead are now nestled into both wells of the press. Now press again, and your bead should come looking pretty good. It takes some practice for sure!
Those are two great points, I wouldn't have thought of tweezing off excess as part of the process... and the second press when to size is great too. Thank you for taking the time!
Old 2011-05-31, 4:13am
StudioMarcy

I'd love to hear more about their presses. They look interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-05-31, 5:14am

Kristina..can you post the other thread about the presses.I don't get the notices on them and would love to see what people are doing.I think Marcy might find the other thread useful too along with this one.
Thanks!
"

Old 2011-05-31, 5:42am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
Kristina..can you post the other thread about the presses.I don't get the notices on them and would love to see what people are doing.I think Marcy might find the other thread useful too along with this one.
Thanks!

I sure can, and here is the link. You all be sure to post what you make if you use the presses here and there! Not everyone sees both Threads.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=168631
Old 2011-05-31, 5:57am

Thanks! I posted there so will get my email notifications
"

Old 2011-05-31, 6:22am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default effetre Dichro over Devardi

Hi Everyone, I worked on some tests this weekend, and I thought I would share my triumphs and flops...

This Lentil-wanna-be was made in the Lydia Muell style. I got one of her Tutorials quite a while ago and this is my first go. I wrecked the Orchid Murrini center, but I really liked the effect of the effetre Dichro Twistie I made and then layered over the D-53 Transp. Ocean Blue (which was on top of SOP White).

The base is made of Intense Black with effetre Dichro-on-black striped around it and melted and pressed in. I would use the Copper Black next time to see if it is softer to shape.

This base bead is made with the effetre Dichro Twistie wrapped and melted in on the D-53 Ocean Blue (over a base of SOP White) so you can see the brilliant sparkly color better... the flower centers were flops, but the idea is interesting for another go I think...

Some pretty effects, now to isolate what works well and what doesn't!

And last but not least, I have been making hearts for BOC and this is the effetre Dichro Twistie doodled all over Devardi's Transp. Med. Amythest. It might be pretty over other colors too. It's much prettier in person.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-05-31 at 8:55am.
Old 2011-06-01, 9:51am
And silence is golden

Very pretty beads Kristina. I love them all! The heart is awesome with that dichro twistie. Might have to get me some of that! Which goldstone stringer is that? Or is that one that you made yourself?
Old 2011-06-01, 10:15am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimp View Post
Very pretty beads Kristina. I love them all! The heart is awesome with that dichro twistie. Might have to get me some of that! Which goldstone stringer is that? Or is that one that you made yourself?
Thank you Shrimp. It's Devardi's Adventurine/Goldstone Rod encased in clear and pulled into a stringer. There's a free Tutorial on how to do it on their website now.
Old 2011-06-05, 5:27am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Salmon Rose Murrini

Hi Everyone,

I got to play with Nat's fabulous Devardi Salmon Rose Murrini yesterday. I love them! I will go back today and try pulling the Murrini to a point on the back before placing them so that they look more realistic. These are over the Dk. Blue Adventurine encased in effetre.

Thanks so much Nat!
Old 2011-06-05, 5:40am
StudioMarcy

those are lovely beads Kristina and Nat's murrine are fantastic.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-05, 6:47am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Marcy. These salmon Devardi Rose Murrini made by Nat are wonderful because they are stiff. I just wasted most of a cane of gorgeous floral murrini because I was so heavy handed and it was soft (so I smushed it over and over)...

I sure want to play with Devardi for making murrini after working with these!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-05 at 10:31am.
Old 2011-06-05, 8:15am

Hi Kristina..who's tutorial on the rose murrini are you talking about? i just purchased Astrid's and wow..hers are amazing but for me..may be impossible to even try to duplicate.She has such beautiful roses :sigh:
"

Old 2011-06-05, 8:42am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I sure agree... I absolutely love Astrid and De's Rose Murrini and Murrini application Tutorials. I am using their techniques together to apply these Devardi Rose Murrini (made by Nat (BeadMonki)).
Old 2011-06-05, 3:31pm

Ah..ok..BeadMonki..will check it out..thank you!And..your roses are great BTW!
"

Old 2011-06-05, 3:46pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

sorry if this has been already asked, I have not followed this thread, and dont feel like reading 55 pages right now to find the answer either...
I was just wondering if the mixed color bundles that you can purchase... purples, blues, greens and so on, if they are labelled or not???
I think it would be a great way to try several colors, but I dont want to do it if I am still left to wonder what color it was that I just used.
Old 2011-06-06, 6:24am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
sorry if this has been already asked, I have not followed this thread, and dont feel like reading 55 pages right now to find the answer either...
I was just wondering if the mixed color bundles that you can purchase... purples, blues, greens and so on, if they are labelled or not???
I think it would be a great way to try several colors, but I dont want to do it if I am still left to wonder what color it was that I just used.
Pia, you could email Natasha at Devardi and ask that she be sure they are labeled. I know their bulk lot's aren't but an assortment probably could be. Let us know what you find out.
Old 2011-06-06, 6:49am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I will do so!
Old 2011-06-06, 6:54am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Rose Murrini & Ring or Toggle Mandrel

.•:*¨*:•.
Happy Monday Everyone,

I played again yesterday with Nat's (Bead Monki) awesome Rose Murrini. Here are two that I liked.

AND I finally tried out Devardi's Ring or Toggle Mandrel. I got it to make Toggles with, but since I was wacky for the roses I made up a ring.

What have you all been working on?

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-06 at 7:22am.
Old 2011-06-13, 2:06pm

I wish I had seen all of this before I ordered. I am a newbie, and I fell for the colors and price. I also placed a large Frantz Glass order and I know that will be fantastic as I have ordered from them before, but as for Devardi the tools look great but the glass, not so much. Several broken rods, which they did warn me about, lots of broken bits and glass crumbs in the box, rods are wonky and some thicker than my fingers.

I am excited to try some of the frits and BHB inserts I ordered though.

Newbie lesson learned! We will play with and practice with this glass but until they get the kinks ironed out, I am not interested.

Old 2011-06-13, 2:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
Mine were not labeled. There are a few labels on random pieces of glass, but I can't even figure out what part of my order is the "bundle" vs the other glass I ordered.
Old 2011-06-13, 2:16pm

Sampler packs are not labelled. However, this is common to most of the sellers, I ordered sample packs of boro from two different suppliers and neither was labelled. Also, (common to all the suppliers it seems) is that one rod of each color ordered is labelled, not each rod.

Its a shame you aren't willing to give this glass a chance, I worked with this glass as a newbie and and it really was not that much different than other glass except for appearance. And I might also add that I have had broken pieces and small bits of glass in orders I have received from other vendors also. It happens.

Old 2011-06-13, 2:22pm

I am going to use it, I hope it performs better than it looks. I would love to be proved wrong! I had high expectations when I ordered it and I just feel a little let down after opening the box.
Old 2011-06-13, 2:30pm

I think you might be pleasantly surprised. Especially if you pre heat your rods. Its really a lovely glass to work with, despite its appearance lol, and has such wonderfully rich colors. And if you pull some of the bigger rods down into fat stringers, they aren't quite so intimidating. Plus, when things go south and a bead just can't be saved, its not as painful since its a bit less expensive to play with lol!

Old 2011-06-13, 2:30pm

Also, we can probably identify most of what you have if necessary, if you are willing to take a picture of each rod a little closer.

Old 2011-06-13, 2:32pm

Yeah I am hoping to be surprised! When I ordered I had no idea that there were such strong opinions. lol Hopefully it will play out better that it looks. Maybe they will improve their shipping and labeling too. The colors are nice though!
Old 2011-06-13, 2:37pm

lol yes, some of us are pretty fond of this glass. And truly, the customer service is beyond awesome. Natasha is very prompt in answering any issues or questions. This thread is the place to come if you need help with it or just have more questions. Have fun experimenting!

Old 2011-06-13, 2:39pm

The second half of my order looks a little more uniform. I am going to play with it tonight. Will see how it compares with Effetre, which is what I have learned on.

Old 2011-06-13, 4:06pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Snail View Post
I am going to use it, I hope it performs better than it looks. I would love to be proved wrong! I had high expectations when I ordered it and I just feel a little let down after opening the box.
Mountain Snail,

Those of us who have used Devardi for a number of years really like using Devardi glass - and for the price we are willing to work with it's short comings, including the thickness of the rods and the need to preheat.

If you need help or counsel you will find it here. We definitely go out of our way to help anyone who is sincere in wanting to use Devardi glass. But I believe you will find that if you want to promote Frantz glass or effetre glass while you bash Devardi, then you won't find it so helpful here.

I also wanted to add that there are free Tutorials on the Devardi website - one that might be of use to you as a Newbie is how to pull thick stringer from the thicker Devardi rods. Here's a link to it in case it is of use to you:
http://www.devardiglass.com/pullingstringers.htm

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-14 at 4:17am.
Old 2011-06-13, 4:39pm

Make sure you are pre heating your rods, they will work much better for you with far less shockiness when they are already warm going into the flame.

Old 2011-06-13, 5:06pm
Remember to keep smiling

MountainSnail you made some great color choices. I have used Devardi from the beginning and make most all my critters with their glass. I do alot of detail work and pull the larger rods down to 1-3mm rods or stringers doing this helped me alot as a beginner to make stringers and twisties.

We are here should you have any questions, just remember to pre warm your rod and have fun

SRA#P109
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi