Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-09, 5:31pm
Resident Luny

Default Glass classes: What makes a class and a teacher stand out?

This is a question not about learning a specific technique from a specific teacher, but perhaps HOW they taught it.

I am curious what you have found has made classes the most meaningful for you.

Out of all the classes you have ever taken, what has stood out as the best moments, techniques of instruction itself, etc?

Did one teacher do something extra special? What was it? Did one location organize something a special or different way that made things super awesome?

If you could pick one thing that you think makes a class stand out, or a few of them put together, what would they be? What would make a class the best class for you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.

Last edited by lunesse; 2011-08-09 at 5:34pm.
Old 2011-08-09, 8:39pm

I have to start by saying I'm not a touchy-feely person.
For me the key to almost every class I take (lampworking or otherwise) is true hands-on experience. You can tell me til you're blue in the face HOW to do something, but if I can't FEEL it, I am just not going to get it. So please, grab my hands and lead me to the right touch so I know what you mean!

I had one instructor I asked to do this with - turned out I was the only one in the class who could do it on my own after that. I had another instructor, who I think got frustrated with me, and just grabbed my hands while at the torch. Both were the AHA I needed.
Old 2011-08-09, 11:33pm
Unmedicated since '62

patient
empathetic
observant
GSOH
and not up themselves - the one teacher i had that thought they were king shit totally turned me off - yes you are an artist, yes you are well known, but hey, you're making your living by me paying you to teach me, get over yourself

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-08-10, 6:36am
Angel's Mom

The special ones are when I have an "Ah-ha!" moment, and I really get something.

That could be a combination of teacher + student, but also a great teacher making you feel comfortable and yet expanding your skills.
Old 2011-08-10, 6:42am
Nikki Haverstock

It had a class where all the instructions were written out. So I was able to really watch the demos instead of having to focus on note taking. I was able to really watch and learn.
Old 2011-08-10, 7:16am

Best classroom experience was a class where my instructor was directly across from me. I am left handed so it worked out perfect as a mirror image. There was something that clicked having it set up that way opposed to a class where I had to turn my head and look to my right for instruction and there was a wall in front of me. I just needed to look up and there she was for input if I needed it.
Chris

Old 2011-08-10, 8:16am
Butterfly Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
and not up themselves - the one teacher i had that thought they were king shit totally turned me off - yes you are an artist, yes you are well known, but hey, you're making your living by me paying you to teach me, get over yourself
Turned me off from lampwork classes for a few years!

My best experience in a lampwork class is a local woman that I continue to highly recommend for her beginner's class. The class was three hours once a week for 6 weeks, so she had time on her side. She'd start class by demonstrating a specific technique. The demonstration would last about 15 minutes, then the rest of the time was ours to just do what we wanted at the torch. It didn't matter if we attempted what she demonstrated or not. She'd help people individually with whatever questions they had. She let everyone develop their own techniques. She wasn't rigidly attached to any specific way to hold mandrels or use marvers or anything. If she saw something she thought needed to be addressed like puckered ends, she'd wait to the next week and then use that as her demonstration topic. She'd explain why it is considered better technique but she wasn't rigidly judgmental if someone made a bead that didn't have puckered ends. She'd just show why it might not be the best way to do things.

So what I liked:
*Lots of torch time
*Non-judgmental as lampworking is much more an art than a science and one women's trash is another women's treasure
*Saw herself as a gentle coach rather than as a TEACHER
*Her feedback always included positives -- no matter how awful the piece
*Her class was student-centered rather than teacher-centered
*No matter how much she probably wanted to grab the student's hands and say "this is the way it's done". She would say, "would you like to see me do it". Then the student would get up from the torch. She'd demonstrate. The student would sit back down at the torch and she'd only verbally comment if it was absolutely necessary. So she showed excellent patience in letting the student work through how to get the glass to behave.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2011-08-10, 8:49am
Triumphantly Knit!

Quality over quantity--I can't say that enough--cared about my time.

she is intuitive enough to read me and know how to handle me

she was honest but even the worst attempt at a technique she found things that were improvements over previous attempts

quality vs quantity

patient and willing to explain until I get it even if it took 10 times

follow up after class was over

I've gotten to see the difference between classes with 15 or so people and a private class. While I know we'd never get to experience classes with some of the more popular teachers if there weren't large classes, there is nothing like having the person all to yourself and really feeling like I got my money's worth.

having info taught to me and explained by science rather than being shown something that is done because so and so big name did it this way.

ETA: she worked at a torch next to me so we could do it together if I wanted.

My experience comes from having taken classes with 4 teachers. 2 ,I really liked, 2 not so much. One class was 15 or so people and a very long day. In that class the teacher did I thought the best he could handling so many different people of as many different skill levels or lack thereof. I did not think he had the best advantage yet I'm glad I got that experience as well.

that's my 3cents
namate
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible

Last edited by 2tumblingdragonz; 2011-08-10 at 9:50am.
Old 2011-08-10, 9:44am
da General

My best class ever was with Loren Stump. He's so generous with his knowledge. We not only learn amazing techniques but HOW to work glass. There were so many epiphanies over the five long days I have a hard time absorbing them all! Fortunately I took detailed notes and transcribed them upon returning home. Personally I prefer to take notes instead of being handed them for I tend to retain the information better when I write them down (and then again when I transcribe them).

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-08-10, 10:24am
Nikki Haverstock

Hayley, I liked taking notes on the existing notes. I could bullet point or just highlight/ under line the pertinent information. I need to take notes as well to remember but some pressure was removed to make them perfect. But that might be me.

And I thought if something more. This is a tough one but it seems like most classes have one or several students that seem to know it all and are hell bent on proving it. They interrupt, talk over or shoot out questions every second. And I admit, sometimes I am that student asking too many questions (not that I Think I know it all. I just want to try and learn it all). So I think how a teacher handles questions is important. Making sure that no one regrets asking but still keeping things moving.
Old 2011-08-10, 10:46am
Triumphantly Knit!

I'm a note taker, too, big time. But I've found I like hand outs that allow me to listen more and write less. I miss content by writing. I also tend to write on my handouts, that way I have my notes and handout in the same place.
I tend to think I'll remember stuff that I don't as time passes, so that's another reason I like hand outs.
I had started bringing an audio recorder to classes but found I don't want to listen to the whole class again (not neccessarily glass classes here but referring to note taking), so I also think, especially in a large class, a handout describing what we are doing and why allows for me, more listening, I can write notes if I want more than what is on the hand out, but it also to me means the instructor took the time to prepare something for the class on a whole to keep us on target.
angel blessings
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Old 2011-08-10, 11:48am
da General

I think it's a personal thing and everyone is different for sure! I took a class where the teacher actually had ALL his techniques already published in a book - and yes I did take additional notes as well but relied mostly on the book. After the class, I realized that I didn't retain much at all! lol! It's probably just the lame way I learn!

I do give handouts in class but they are not that detailed. Also since my silver glass class changes often depending on the newest and funnest silver glass available, it's always changing.

I agree wholeheartedly how in most classes there are usually someone who can be disruptive and how a teacher handles them (and the questions) is very important in the flow and rhythm of the class.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-08-10, 2:59pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Oh hell I wouldn't want a book! LOL.

Just an outline of here's the bead, technique and tips, the rest is about the lecture and demo otherwise it'd be a tutorial. that better explains what I mean.

I think each teacher is as different as each student, too.
Also the class should be fun!

angel blessings

Old 2011-08-10, 3:55pm

Speaking as a student and a teacher here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnheights View Post
I have to start by saying I'm not a touchy-feely person.
For me the key to almost every class I take (lampworking or otherwise) is true hands-on experience. You can tell me til you're blue in the face HOW to do something, but if I can't FEEL it, I am just not going to get it. So please, grab my hands and lead me to the right touch so I know what you mean!

I had one instructor I asked to do this with - turned out I was the only one in the class who could do it on my own after that. I had another instructor, who I think got frustrated with me, and just grabbed my hands while at the torch. Both were the AHA I needed.
I would find someone grabbing my hands at the torch horridly offensive and invasive. I would not do it to someone else. I have re-demoed something as often as needed, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisb16 View Post
The special ones are when I have an "Ah-ha!" moment, and I really get something.

That could be a combination of teacher + student, but also a great teacher making you feel comfortable and yet expanding your skills.
I've learned something in every class I've taken - and it's not always what the class is meant to teach. I took a class on hollows with Cindy Jenkins and learned how to work EDP, things like that. And yes, that moment is like magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
It had a class where all the instructions were written out. So I was able to really watch the demos instead of having to focus on note taking. I was able to really watch and learn.
I like this, too - I tried to do it for my students, except when it was a "sit down and tell me what you want to learn and I'll teach it." Then I took notes, and put the notes on my site for them to refer to as needed.

I like it when the class and chatter are 99% about class - skip the major arguing points like religion, politics, etc. I'm usually quiet and just absorbing when I learn, but I do learn quickly - and I've had a stained glass teacher make fun of me for that during class. Not a good thing either.

Safe working environment and sound ventilation help as well.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2011-08-10, 9:12pm
Resident Luny

these are all awesome points. I love the variety in them from person to person, everyone learns so differently.

Tell me, how would you expect a teacher to handle a "problem student?" Or, if you are a teacher, how would you handle it?

Old 2011-08-10, 9:32pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Oooo, I hate mouthy attention seeking students! I don't ask many questions but when I do need to ask something it hacks me off to have to fight my way past Miss I Know It All And I'm Awesome.

I'm not sure how to handle this other than I remember wishing that the teacher would move around the room more and not stay in one place so much because it might make her more accessible. It's harder to be an attention hog if you have to run after the teacher.

One thing that turned me off classes for awhile was teacher self-promotion. I'm here because I wanted to learn from you, please assume that I know what you do and don't waste the class time *I paid for* advertising yourself. It's like preaching to the choir. Not necessary and pretty irritating.

Old 2011-08-10, 9:41pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6094 View Post
Oooo, I hate mouthy attention seeking students! I don't ask many questions but when I do need to ask something it hacks me off to have to fight my way past Miss I Know It All And I'm Awesome.

I'm not sure how to handle this other than I remember wishing that the teacher would move around the room more and not stay in one place so much because it might make her more accessible. It's harder to be an attention hog if you have to run after the teacher.

One thing that turned me off classes for awhile was teacher self-promotion. I'm here because I wanted to learn from you, please assume that I know what you do and don't waste the class time *I paid for* advertising yourself. It's like preaching to the choir. Not necessary and pretty irritating.
oh god thats me - sorry

Old 2011-08-11, 5:32am
Nikki Haverstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunesse View Post
these are all awesome points. I love the variety in them from person to person, everyone learns so differently.

Tell me, how would you expect a teacher to handle a "problem student?" Or, if you are a teacher, how would you handle it?
I am not sure. Maybe suggest ' oh I would love to talk to you during the break' if the student is being a know it all or if they are asking off topic questions. Or 'you seem to really be getting this, let me go help some of your class mates that are struggling' if it is open torch time and the student is monopolizing the teachers time.

I think it really depends on the teachers strengths. It is a difficult situation. I teach(not art but basically this is true for all classes) at a college and I can't say that I have found a single answer that works all the time. Sometimes I joke about how the student is advanced far beyond the class. Sometimes I give a short fast answer. I usually add that I would love to discuss more then talk to them later to show that I do care.

I would love to hear other teachers suggestions.
Old 2011-08-11, 6:20am
Unmedicated since '62

When I teach I keep my classes to six or less, I recognize my own limitations

Some things teachers say or do really make an impact, one teacher told me something really nice once and it's stuck with me and given me so much confidence to try other things

Old 2011-08-11, 7:34am

What Deb said about "knowing your own limitations (as a teacher)" is really key. Some teachers can handle a class of a dozen with no problem; others max out at a lower number of students. Too many teachers don't give much thought to, or aren't familiar with, the studio setup where they're teaching. Some studios can comfortably accomodate many students and it's easier for the teacher to see all of them and/or be seen by all of them. Other studios just aren't set up for it, students feel cramped/neglected/can't see, etc. In my experience, "problem" students can totally disrupt a class when you have a combination of too many students (for that particular teacher/class), or a bad physical layout for what you're teaching. You can't pre-screen for the problem student, but a good teacher can minimize their impact on the rest of the class.

Mimi
Old 2011-08-11, 10:39am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunesse View Post
If a student asks too many irrelevant questions, especially during my demo, I usually tell her/him to remember the question and ask me again during lunch or after class. If it's relevant to the topic at hand, I will definitely give the question the time it deserves.

As for the know-in-all students - or worse, those that answer questions for me when I am teaching! lol! - I usually just jokingly say something to the effect like "hey, let me have a chance to answer first!" or "there are many ways to do something, I will share with you mine if you let me" - done with a big smile, of-course!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-08-11, 10:46am

One thing I expect a teacher not to do, is to bitch about that student to other people (instructors) in the lunch room where you can be overheard.

Darrell
Old 2011-08-11, 3:22pm
Resident Luny

You are all so awesome with taking the time to think about this. Thank you!

=)

Old 2011-08-11, 4:08pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
oh god thats me - sorry
Somehow I doubt that Deb. I don't mind someone who talks a lot, heck, I can talk up a storm. The one person that comes to mind that I had a class with would *watch* the other students and if it looked like someone was heading for the teacher she would either head them off asking what was wrong or literally rush across the room with a question. One time she actually knocked another student down. I think she must have had issues. I finally quit taking classes at the facility because she seemed to live there, she was in almost every class I took.

Old 2011-08-11, 4:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
I would be bothered by someone doing this without warning me. I do do this for students sometimes, but I ask them if it is okay first. If they say no, I TOTALLY understand and would find another way to help.
Asking first and with permission I can see. But if I was working and the teacher (or anyone!) just put their hands on mine... I'd probably put everything down, pack up and leave, it would make me that uncomfortable. (Or spend the rest of the time wishing I had.)

~:
~:

~:

Old 2011-08-11, 4:58pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I'd say something like, let's try to stay on point for time's sake, and at the end I'll take other questions, or suggest they email me.

namaste
Rowyn

Old 2011-08-11, 11:20pm

regarding the hands-on - I did say I'm not a touchy person. And I get how some folks would be very put off by it, especially if it's without permission. But we are talking about a skill that is, more based on feel than it is on any other sense. (think Ghost and the famous pottery wheel scene) Soupy to me may be caramel to you. Heavy to me may be light to you. Gentle touch to me may be aggressive to you.

I've been through college fine arts classes (including one led by a famous American mime who studied under Marcel Marcel) where I left in tears and never went back- I'll take someone trying to help me FEEL my way through right over being berated for not getting it any day, or feeling like I didn't get my money's worth. It's all a matter of perspective.

I've heard comments about students who don't even want the instructor to look over their shoulder. Makes no sense to me. Might as well buy the tutorial and learn it at home, or watch a youtube video. You paid for the class, get out of it what you can. Instructors don't expect students to be perfect, or even "get it" right away. (I hope, or I'm really hosed!)
Old 2011-08-13, 6:50am
Butterfly Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
Asking first and with permission I can see. But if I was working and the teacher (or anyone!) just put their hands on mine... I'd probably put everything down, pack up and leave, it would make me that uncomfortable. (Or spend the rest of the time wishing I had.)
I agree 100%.

Used to have police officers come in to talk with my elementary students particularly about inappropriate touching. Assault for arrest purposes is touching someone without their permission. Always ask before touching. Also ask as privately as possible and don't deride someone who doesn't want to be touched.

When I was an elementary teacher in training, we had it drilled into us to never touch a student because of all the legal issues of a professional touching someone else. There are oftentimes very traumatic physical incidents in the past of someone who doesn't want to be touched. It is better not to trigger those emotions. Or there can be health reasons such as fibromyalgia where the muscles fire painfully at the slightest touch.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2011-08-13, 1:55pm
Bad Cat Glass

I have a pet peeve about class numbers more than a specific teaching technique. Why is it that so often, classes are advertised as being limited to a set number of students and then when you attend there are more people? I have even asked specifically, "How many students will be in this class?" been given an answer only to find two, three or more people added to the class. It really feels like a rip-off to pay for a class for six people only to find more. I know people have to make money, but teachers and those who host classes need to be honest about numbers.
Old 2011-08-13, 8:12pm

Are the extra students studio owners? I wouldn't count those.

A teacher berating a student for not learning or being a different speed than anyone else is abysmal behavior. I'm fine with the instructor looking over my shoulder, making suggestions/reminders, and even asking what the heck I'm making. Just ask before touching me or anything I'm doing.

~:
~:

~: