Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-17, 9:05am
Butterfly Rancher

Default Book review: Coldworking Glass without Machines

This is written from a fuser's point-of-view but I think lots of the information would be interesting to lampworkers who like etching beads. The author, Paul Tarlow, spends lots of time talking about abrasives that work on glass and grit theory. It's a thin book with large print but I found the book very useful since it pulled together lots of the bits and pieces I've seen about coldworking into one place. Anyway I highly recommend it for anyone who is interested in fusing and for any lampworker who is interested in coldworking their beads to change the surface quality.

I got it direct from the author http://fusedglass.org/ I wasn't impressed with their shipping. It's also available from Brad Walker's site http://www.warmglass.org/servlet/StoreFront I ordered Brad's updated book and The Joy of Coldworking on separate occasions and both times the books shipped very quickly. So I'd recommend the Warmglass site if you're interested in ordering the book.

BTW The Joy of Coldworking is also excellent but it is about using various machines to change the glass after it has emerged from the kiln. Even one of the machines is an expensive investment. But if you've ever wondered about saws, laps, sandblasters, etc, this book details it all. The Tarlow book is about using various grit slurries and diamond handpads to create changes in the glass surfaces.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2011-08-17, 9:15am
Loving learning

That sounds interesting Beckah, thanks for the review. I can't justify it yet, but will add it to my list of things to think about for the future.
Old 2011-08-17, 11:12am
novembersfyre everywhere

Thanks for the review! I had wondered about this book.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-08-17, 12:44pm
dances with ideas...

Me too. Thanks!

Old 2011-08-17, 2:49pm
Butterfly Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
That sounds interesting Beckah, thanks for the review. I can't justify it yet, but will add it to my list of things to think about for the future.
When I get things together to try out some of the techniques, I'll let you know and you can come up for a play date. Of course it'll have to be in a month or two since it's still way too hot to be in the garage! But there has been a smidgen of change in the heat. I actually managed to putter out there for a whole 5 minutes yesterday morning before I needed A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
Thanks for the review! I had wondered about this book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainygrrl View Post
Me too. Thanks!
You're welcome. It's tough to know if a book is worth spending the money for or not. I'm glad I did and see it being a permanent part of my glass library. Someone who's very experienced with fusing coldwork might find the book too basic but, for me, I thought it synthesized information I already knew but did not yet have in a coherent framework. It is also basic enough that someone without any glass coldworking experience would learn a lot. The author has a very analytic mind that breaks things down into separate, easy-to-understand steps.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2011-08-19, 1:59pm

Thanks for the review.

Sometimes with all the different things that can be done with glass, it becomes "equipment overload. . . expensive", so this is good to know.

Yvonne