Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-16, 8:08am
Pincel de Fuego

Yep!!! That's what I'm going to do! My hollow mandrels will be here in 10 days..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
Old 2012-11-17, 4:11am

This has been a great thread! I read every word! I can't remember names, but thank you so much to the gentleman who posted the instructions for making 104 coe bulbs! I'm going to try that this week. I'm also going to try to find the blowpipe assembly. I think Devardi sells them, and they're only a few miles from me!

Thanks to everyone for the pictures. And Allegrafuct... Wow, I feel your pain in having to wait 10 days. I'm NOT a patient person lol.
Old 2012-11-17, 6:31am
Pincel de Fuego

Lol I have been SO patient throughout this whole process...

/
/
Old 2012-11-17, 11:00am
Uh Oh....

I saw this thread and had to try one. This is the first one I made on a hollow mandrel with 104 glass and without a blowpipe assembly. I rolled it in frit before blowing it out but it doesn't show up well on the dark topaz base.

I didn't have any ornament caps so I used Jason's way of attaching the wire loop. Thanks Jason!!
I'm planning on making more, with better colors. Only problem is I can only make a few in one torching session as my kiln is so tiny.

Old 2012-11-17, 11:05am
Triumphantly Knit!

I wish LE had like buttons.

Hardalee amazing globe. And the one on this page with the red frit, very cool.

When I first started with the glaskolben I couldn't get anyone to help me so this is amazing. JameyLynne kept telling me go to LE and I would post and get zilch.

I learned by doing it until my fingers and wrists were burned....and then I realized they don't have to be perfect balls. Some of the off centre ones are the coolest, or the ones where all the size 0 frit lumps in a puddle.

I'm gonna check out the video that was suggested. I've watched the Delphi one so much I can recite it in my sleep.

I was obsessed with these, still am.

Someone mentioned soft glass tubes. Where do you get them? I've been told they are not around any more, no pun intended.

To the person in Panama who can't get mapp there, I don't know what shipping would be but if you'd want to trade for some clear that you can use on a hollow mandrel, 104 Coe, that would be easier for you to melt, pm or email me thou the le system.

I forget if you tried propane with the HH? 104 would be easier to melt as the Glaskolben are 90 Coe and the frit just adds another layer. You could try pixie dust if you don't mind a mess. Keep them separate, they spread.

Now to watch video, shower and go melts something.

Angel Blessings
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2012-11-17, 12:09pm
Pincel de Fuego

You guys are killing me! 9 more days!

/
/
Old 2012-11-17, 12:22pm
Pincel de Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tumblingdragonz View Post
I wish LE had like buttons.

Hardalee amazing globe. And the one on this page with the red frit, very cool.

When I first started with the glaskolben I couldn't get anyone to help me so this is amazing. JameyLynne kept telling me go to LE and I would post and get zilch.

I learned by doing it until my fingers and wrists were burned....and then I realized they don't have to be perfect balls. Some of the off centre ones are the coolest, or the ones where all the size 0 frit lumps in a puddle.

I'm gonna check out the video that was suggested. I've watched the Delphi one so much I can recite it in my sleep.

I was obsessed with these, still am.

Someone mentioned soft glass tubes. Where do you get them? I've been told they are not around any more, no pun intended.

To the person in Panama who can't get mapp there, I don't know what shipping would be but if you'd want to trade for some clear that you can use on a hollow mandrel, 104 Coe, that would be easier for you to melt, pm or email me thou the le system.

I forget if you tried propane with the HH? 104 would be easier to melt as the Glaskolben are 90 Coe and the frit just adds another layer. You could try pixie dust if you don't mind a mess. Keep them separate, they spread.

Now to watch video, shower and go melts something.

Angel Blessings
Namaste
Rowyn
Rowyn you made me laugh, I've watched that Delphi video so many times I can recite it too! "Hi, I'm Val..." I actually messaged "Val" too in my desperation to find out what I was doing wrong, but Brett Pierce came up with the answer first.

I might be able to upgrade my torch and get to use my glaskolben, but if I'm not able to then we could trade... It's not a bad idea.

Yep the only gas available here that could work is propane.

Yeah to work with pixie dust you really have to have a nice open and clean area... Hahaha NOT what I currently have...

/
/
Old 2012-11-17, 4:57pm
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPierce View Post
-Then I coiled a small bubble of glass off the edge of the the marvered glass and let that cool for a second to harden up too add more glass to it. I added another half stick of glass to get a 3/4" marble sized gather.
When you are laying the glass on, do you end up with a hollow blob of glass or is it a solid mass of glass on the end of the mandrel? Before you blow it, that is.

-BEP
Old 2012-11-17, 5:46pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepnewt View Post
When you are laying the glass on, do you end up with a hollow blob of glass or is it a solid mass of glass on the end of the mandrel? Before you blow it, that is.
-BEP
You should have a "hollow" blob, and when you melt that down it will still have a small bubble in it.

However you can just have a blob of glass on the end and blow that out as well.
Old 2012-11-18, 9:47am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
You should have a "hollow" blob, and when you melt that down it will still have a small bubble in it.

However you can just have a blob of glass on the end and blow that out as well.
Thanks.

-BEP
Old 2012-12-17, 12:37pm
Marble Lover

Here's one of David's (houptdavid) ornaments! It will be adorning our tree this year, kitten's willing...

Old 2012-12-18, 7:37pm
Pincel de Fuego

OH MY GOD GUYS HOOOOOOWWWWWW are you cleaning the bead release out of these things!!!??!!!! With the dremel I've chipped and ruined the hole edges. And filing these things by hand is taking like half an hour each... I want to die!!! My back is killing me!!!! (Sorry for the drama)

/
/
Old 2012-12-18, 7:50pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegrafuct View Post
OH MY GOD GUYS HOOOOOOWWWWWW are you cleaning the bead release out of these things!!!??!!!! With the dremel I've chipped and ruined the hole edges. And filing these things by hand is taking like half an hour each... I want to die!!! My back is killing me!!!! (Sorry for the drama)
Most bead release will disintegrate in cheap white vinegar. As long as it smells bad the vinegar is working. If the smell goes away pour out the vinegar and use fresh. It may not take away all the bead release but it will take most and if there is any remaining it will come out much more easily.
Old 2012-12-18, 7:51pm
Pincel de Fuego

Thanks!!!

/
/
Old 2012-12-18, 8:26pm
honorary bead lady

Gabi, if they are not clear/ transparent why bother? And if they chip the cap will cover it.

FYI... drill press, pan of water and a diamond burr if you want to clean them
Old 2012-12-19, 3:28am
what's a senior moment ?

Thanks for the white vinegar tip. I had seen this tip before but totally forgot about it. I've been soaking in plain water then using the dremel on these and it's a pain in the behind.

I've been hooked on these for weeks now and have to say I much prefer blowing them off the end of a mandrel. It works the best for me. Been trying different colors and some of the silver glasses. Have LOTS of shards now too. lol !

Old 2012-12-19, 4:24am

Hi Debbie, that green one with blue? silver? frit is stunning!
Old 2012-12-19, 8:17am
Marble Lover

You guys are killing me with your gorgeous ornaments. I had 3 more failures last night before shutting off the empty kiln.

Keep posting the great pics!

Is anyone willing to take a few pics of a work in progress? Maybe have someone take pics of you in progress at these points:

1) Right when glass starts to get laid onto the end of the pipe, after the top has been marvered around the end.

2) When the glass is done being put onto the mass that will eventually get melted down into the ball.

3) Right before the ball is blown

This would require a second person with the camera to pull off well, but I know I would massively appreciate it. Being able to see these different stages would definitely help by letting me compare what I'm doing to someone who is successful.

-BEP
Old 2012-12-19, 10:58am
Pincel de Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Gabi, if they are not clear/ transparent why bother? And if they chip the cap will cover it.

FYI... drill press, pan of water and a diamond burr if you want to clean them
David, I'm making mine with corks so it will look pretty bad if they have bead release, also the cork could slide out...

/
/
Old 2012-12-19, 11:01am
Pincel de Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepnewt View Post
You guys are killing me with your gorgeous ornaments. I had 3 more failures last night before shutting off the empty kiln.

Keep posting the great pics!

Is anyone willing to take a few pics of a work in progress? Maybe have someone take pics of you in progress at these points:

1) Right when glass starts to get laid onto the end of the pipe, after the top has been marvered around the end.

2) When the glass is done being put onto the mass that will eventually get melted down into the ball.

3) Right before the ball is blown

This would require a second person with the camera to pull off well, but I know I would massively appreciate it. Being able to see these different stages would definitely help by letting me compare what I'm doing to someone who is successful.

-BEP
Brett was supposedly going to post a video on youtube... I'm still waiting. hahaha
I'll make sure to post pics of my balls with corks tonight... I even sold one today woohoo!
Yeah production was at an all time low and I couldn't make enough on time. I still haven't made a successful glaskolben.

/
/
Old 2012-12-19, 11:06pm
Pincel de Fuego

Cool Pictures!

Go to my blog to see the rest!

/
/
Old 2012-12-20, 12:16am
honorary bead lady

gabi... Nice!!!

Here this might help...
Attached Images

Old 2012-12-20, 2:52am
what's a senior moment ?

That is perfect David !

Old 2012-12-20, 8:39am
Marble Lover

David: Thanks. Just from your drawing I see 2 things that will improve mine.

Gabi: Very, very nice.

Everyone: Where can you get corks locally? Michael's? Hobby Lobby? I don't have time to order on the 'net, now, since I waited so long.

-BEP
Old 2012-12-20, 9:12am
honorary bead lady

Is there an Ace or Tru Value hardware store close Brian? Look in the little parts bins where the screws and bolts are, they have them there. HD and Lowes have the bins too, but seems like they are never stocked.
Old 2012-12-20, 9:27am
honorary bead lady

And to add points...
Attached Images

Old 2012-12-20, 9:59am
Marble Lover

I have an Ace within walking distance of my house, so I will check there. Thanks, David.

And thanks for the addendum for pointy balls. Uh. Ornaments.

And now, another question! Have any of you that are working in soft glass done the method where you break the ball off of the pipe and use a glob of glass to make a loop instead of dealing with a cap?

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread and that's how I've seen the furnace blowers do it in Branson and other places. It looks more "home-made" that way.

-BEP
Old 2012-12-20, 12:00pm
what's a senior moment ?

I"m hoping to do it that way next torch session Brian. I was just waiting to free up a hollow mandrel from the bead release and did that yesterday.

If you're looking for some ornament caps, I have a great source for them from here in Georgia. The info is on my other computer so as soon as I get to that, I'll post the info here.

Old 2012-12-20, 12:10pm
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
I"m hoping to do it that way next torch session Brian. I was just waiting to free up a hollow mandrel from the bead release and did that yesterday.
I ended up dipping all mine last night. I think I'll remove the release from one and give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
If you're looking for some ornament caps, I have a great source for them from here in Georgia. The info is on my other computer so as soon as I get to that, I'll post the info here.
... and I just placed an order last night for some. Dang! I only ordered 20, I think, so if I do get decent at this, I'm sure I'll need more. I would appreciate info on a good source. I didn't find much selection in 1/2" Silver. There were some, but not as much of a selection as you find in gold.

-BEP
Old 2012-12-21, 3:28am
what's a senior moment ?

My source is www.creativeglazes.com I called them instead of ordering online to work with them on shipping. They only carry the gold color ones in sizes 5/8" and 1/2". I got both. The silver ones, I simply bought small, cheapy ornaments at Walmart for $2.50 for 18 in a package for those. They aren't the best caps but do the job. It was easier than trying to find the silver ones online. The Walmart ones are about a size 5/8".

Even the 5/8" cap works good if you used a 1/4" hollow mandrel. It all depends on how rounded you make the top part and/or how much bead release you use. I've used both sizes of ornament caps after using a 1/4" mandrel.