LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-12, 7:10pm

Default HELP what did I do wrong?

Help. I went to my first holiday craft show. It was a juried show. I had to work hard to get accepted and it was dismal. There was plenty of traffic.There were alot of people with jewelry, nobody with lampwork. The only thing that sold were the bead pens after I marked them down from 15 to 10 each. People came by touched and sow how nice the stuff was and left. I thought I priced it to sell. The bracelets were 45 and 55 if they were silver. The copper ones were 35$. The earrings were 15. The necklaces were 55 and 65. Please take a look and comment. I was very discouraged. I am supposed to do another show in December, but do not know if I want too.
Thanks
Ann
Attached Images

Old 2006-11-12, 7:13pm

Default bead pics

Sorry they are so dark. still learning the picture part. the necklace that looks like it has black beads is actually black with double helix glass that turened a great shade of blue. You cannot see it the pics.
ann
Old 2006-11-12, 7:26pm
Entropy increasing....

I think the pens need larger metal beads. They look out of proportion to me. I do like the designs, I just think they need larger beads proportionally.
Old 2006-11-12, 7:54pm

Thanks. I have had a hard time finding large holed metal beads.
Ann
Old 2006-11-12, 9:11pm
The Glass Smithy

I have done a few craftshows this year. I have not found very many people buying. I have had more sales selling beads than selling jewery. I enjoy making beads more than making jewery so this is ok with me. I always have hope of doing better than I actually do. Maybe some day I will make it big. Try to keep a positive attitude and stay the course.
Old 2006-11-12, 9:37pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

This what I've found to be true for my jewelry, I never sell well after October, so that is when I do my last show of the year. No matter what I've tried, I can not sell a large amount at any show for the Holidays. I've been doing shows since 1986 and no matter how many times I've tried giving a Holiday show another go, it's the same thing, low sales. I have no idea why because my jewelry sells like hotcakes from June until October and then nothing worth my time, so I've just stopped trying. I focus on making stock for the coming year because that's when It becomes impossible to ever have enough stock.

I could be nothing you did wrong, and there could simply be no reason for it, so don't beat yourself up and if you've already paid, do the show in December and see what happens.

My only suggestion would be is to maybe rethink your earring cards. The plastic, preprinted cards never look right to me with handmade earrings, but certainly wouldn't prevent someone from buying them if they liked the earrings, just a thought.

Edie
Old 2006-11-12, 10:09pm
Corgi Cult Member

Sorry your show was disappointing! I would have to agree with Edie about the earring cards. A card made with nice cardstock would work with handmade jewelry better IMO.

Hopefully your show in Dec will be loaded with people wanting to purchase gifts!

Kathy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-12, 11:35pm
Formerly known as LT

I agree with the earring cards and the larger beads in the pens. I like to use the felted earring cards. Fire mountain has large hole metal beads. I think there is something to be said about bad holiday sales. I have done two and they sucked. At the time I only did jewelry. I think you really need to figure out if your stuff works for the venue you are using, and I think sometimes even then it might not work well. Did you attend this one before you decided on selling at it? I know you have to plan way in advance to do that but I think it is well worth doing if at all possible. Good luck next time!!!
Old 2006-11-12, 11:54pm

I think that the smaller holiday shows people don't spend alot of money. Have alot of low end items. Many people don't spend that much on gifts. Have many prices. I have found that the displays have a big part I have done this same show (last weekend) every year for 4 years and have never made over $100 every year my display has gotten better each year and each year I have made more. So look at your display and see if it is professional. I was told by someone that if you learned something from a show it is not a waist of time and money. Don't give up. I agree about the pens and earring cards. I use the black velvet card they are not to expensive and stays looking nice. With the cards that you make I have been told that they have to be redone often because people won't buy the earrings if the cards look at all worn. Try to find the shows that are larger if you have bigger dollar items
Good luck on your next one
Lori
Old 2006-11-13, 4:28am

Default show

Thank you for alll your comments. I will put them to good use.
Ann
Old 2006-11-13, 7:26am

Hate to say it, but instead of lowering your prices, RAISE them...I sell pen blanks for $10 and I live in NE TN where there isn't a lot of money for the majority of the population, you didn't make a penny on your pens at $10! I sell earrings for $25-$55 and bracelets anwhere from $35 to $140. Single beads (nothing fancy) with a simple wirewrap on a snake chain start at $30.

Displays are important and mine have changed many times. It is disheartening to have thousands of people at a show and have only 100 interested in your work. I just did a VERY small new show this weekend that had 400 people go through the doors. I did $600 from about 7 of those 400. You're only going to get a percentage.

Also think about the venue, the average craft show is NOT your venue because the attendees can get "your beads" at Michaels and have no idea what you do.

I hope you don't think I'm too blunt but I know of no other way, sorry!
Old 2006-11-13, 2:56pm

You are quite right. There were alot of people who just went and bought beads. When I told people I made them they were more interested in looking at the beads and jewelry. Thanks for the comments
Ann
Old 2006-11-13, 5:28pm

I did a craft fair two weekends ago & did less than $25 in sales...it happens. (Oh & $4 of that was in $1 loose beads from a dollar-a-bead bowl I stuck on the corner of the table on a whim )
I'd lose the "fashion earring" cards--they make your earrings look like something cheap from a big-box store & print up something nice on your computer *or* put them into little gift boxes--either way.
Also, either put your pens into the velvet pouches, or into boxes--you want people to think "GIFT"!. Same on the necklaces--it's holiday time, you need them to have it all laid out in front of them ready-to-gift-all-it-needs-is-the-tag to get the best sales!
The other thing to do is be SURE you tell EVERY person who stops at your table WHERE to find your goodies the rest of the year!! I make sure I mention all the shops that carry my jewelry, as well as handing out my business cards to everyone who stops for more than a moment @ my table~those cards show up in shops over the course of the year & get me sales of my things that are out on consignment later!
~luna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-11-13, 5:54pm
In search of her path....

Ive also found presentation is alot to do with it as well. I wont put my stuff on stock cards like those shiny black cards because people see those and think even subconciously that you are reselling something from someplace else not that you made them yourself. So I have went out of my way to make up my own cards and marketing placards to put with all my jewelry and boxes and products to make them different from everyone elses. I also make sure to great everyone who stops and make sure they know I use top quality findings such as sterling silver, vermeil and swarovski crystals. I dont know if it will help but its just a couple of ideas

and as far as prices I agree raise them you might be surprised...I sell my earrings for on average $35 a pair here ...

Prints for sale in my
!

Last edited by IF-Designs; 2006-11-13 at 6:02pm.
Old 2006-11-13, 7:01pm

I'm sorry about your show, it's always so hard not to get your hopes up when you're working so hard to get ready.

My shows have actually gone very well this year. I do use the pre-printed flocked cards, but I use the ones that say "sterling silver". I have have found a significant increase in my sales since I made up and mounted a page explaining how glass beads are made with actual pictures of me making a bead at my torch. I place these around my table on easels. NOW people get it! I also agree with Lenda on some of your prices. I don't sell my pens for under $30!

I also always try to get a booth with access to electricity and clip lights on my table. The lighting is always so bad in the big halls and Flourescent lighting changes the colors of the lavendars and blues. The jewelry just looks so much more special and sparkly with lighting. I bought chrome clip-on lights from the office supply store.

Amy
Old 2006-11-14, 12:19am

Demonstrate if you can. It REALLY helps a ton!
displays are also very important. and lighting is important for indoor shows.

Old 2006-11-14, 6:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenda View Post
Hate to say it, but instead of lowering your prices, RAISE them...I sell pen blanks for $10 and I live in NE TN where there isn't a lot of money for the majority of the population, you didn't make a penny on your pens at $10! I sell earrings for $25-$55 and bracelets anwhere from $35 to $140. Single beads (nothing fancy) with a simple wirewrap on a snake chain start at $30.

Displays are important and mine have changed many times. It is disheartening to have thousands of people at a show and have only 100 interested in your work. I just did a VERY small new show this weekend that had 400 people go through the doors. I did $600 from about 7 of those 400. You're only going to get a percentage.

Also think about the venue, the average craft show is NOT your venue because the attendees can get "your beads" at Michaels and have no idea what you do.

I hope you don't think I'm too blunt but I know of no other way, sorry!

I agree 100%...raise your prices! The prices you quoted might be sending the message that your jewelry isn't high quality. I sell the pens at $32 easily. In fact, I have a friend who successfully sells them for more.

Shows are a gamble depsite being juried and despite the number of people attending. Sorry to hear this one was a bust.

This summer I met a lampwork artist at an outdoor art festival I was doing. (There must have been 4 lampworkers on our street alone!) Her prices were much higher than mine and after talking with her, I raised mine! Her theory was this: As an artist, our work takes time, materials, and skills. Set prices to reflect this, be fair to yourself! Then, be patient...the right buyer will come along. Perhaps it won't be this show but the next one. She said she NEVER lowers prices. If an item doesn't sell in one year, she decontructs it and creates something new. Just a thought.

Regarding displays...I have a large photo of me working at the torch. My first comment to anyone walking up to my booth: " Good morning, ladies...everything here features my own beads, hand-torched in my home studio using Italian glass...the jewelry is all sterling silver. Are you familiar with lampwork beads? ....."

Good luck! And, by the way, I really like your earrings!

Old 2006-11-14, 8:02am
What, Me Worry?

It is true that the price is one of the prime measures of quality. But price also indicates 'rarity'. Today's buyers walk the aisles of hobby stores and scan the Ebay lampwork categories. They know what's out there, they know what is commonly available, and they know what it sells for.

Step back and survey what they survey... what style beads are the hobby stores and mass producers on Ebay selling?.

Beads that buyers cannot find in the mass market, support higher pricing... because they are rare, uncommon, limited.

Me
Old 2006-11-14, 11:06am

I agree with raising your prices. how much you can raise them depends on your display and whether or not you use all sterling. When I started shows I used mostly plated silver. Now I wouldnt dream of it. I think it devalues your work. most people wont buy plated at shows. there is just too many other booths who have sterling at around the same price as our bracelets with lampwork. and I do know that it is the lampwork that should command the high price but sterling silver and swarovski sure does help alot.
For ideas on pricing
simple purely spacer earrings with 2 little silver round beads =14$ at my shows
encased beads on earrings = 15-16$, add swarovski dangles= 18$

bracelets are between 55-65$

necklaces like the leaf one I donated are 140$ but I have alot of simple focals that are wirewrapped for 20$. And believe it or not, you can sell a lentil bead made with the lentil trio wire wrapped for 10$!! My MIL sold one that had a few dangles for 30$ and then they bought the earrings. ( I wasnt there and she is a hell of a salesperson!- dont know how she did that!)

It is important to have a wide range of prices not all high, and for sure not all super low. Make them see how special your work is. If I walked by your table and say your beadpens for 10$ I would swear on everything that they were imported beads just because of the price.

hope that helps.

Old 2006-11-14, 5:22pm
Glass-A-Holic ^..^

In my experience I have almost never sold anything at any type of show (one bracelet and earrings), until the bead show in LA (beads only)!

I found that women in banks love jewelry for themselves, hence not many sales for the holiday presents! Now I won't bother with a show (unless it is beads only) and just send my jewelry on down to the banks and show friends.

The bank is just an idea because women have to dress up when they are there at work .

Alaina

Old 2006-11-14, 7:09pm
daughter and I

Don't be discouraged until you do a few more shows. I had my first 2 shows and while I said I didn't have any expectations, I did. I was both pleased (got lots of compliments) and disappointed - the second show, which I thought would be better was only 1/2 as good as the first. I grossed about 700 the first 1 day show and 400 the second 2 day show (cold day with lots of other stuff going on in the area - fair, soccer tournament). I am doing the Christmas parade here - little town, 1600 pop in the winter so will see how it goes. I price my bead pens at $25 and they always sell out and I get orders for more! This is just my second job but my passion, I work FT as a nurse manager in outpt clinic.

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.