No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-21, 6:36pm

Smile Lampwork Books

Hello All!

I have been told that the best way to learn about lampwork(aside from classes) is by reading. However, I'm experiencing difficulty finding lampwork books both in stores and in libraries(especially because many are out of print and therefore very expensive).

I was wondering if you experienced lampworkers have suggestions about what books to look for or where to find them?

Thank you for your help!!

Jane
Old 2011-03-21, 6:38pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Try Amazon.You can get some used ones for a reasonable price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-03-21, 6:40pm

My all time favorite (and I don't think it is out of print) is Cindy Jenkins "Beads of Glass: the Art and the Artists".

Old 2011-03-21, 6:41pm

Franz Art Glass has Corina's "Passing the Flame" on sale for $59.00.

LynieG
Old 2011-03-21, 7:03pm

Look for Jim Kervin's book. Don't remember the exact title, but something like Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Glass Beadmaking.
Old 2011-03-21, 7:26pm
grama punky - class junky

I am a big fan of passing the flame. and dont forget to check the garage sales...often find in there. have fun!

Old 2011-03-21, 7:35pm

And Craigslist. Search on "lampwork*" and you'll get both lampwork and lampworking.

As others have said, try Amazon. Corina's book is one of the very best and well worth the money. Cindy Jenkins has two books; the one mentioned above and "Making Glass Beads" which is more for beginners. "Beads of Glass" is more advanced but give you lots of inspiration from some of the world's best beadmakers, many of whom are members here on LE. Kimberly Adams has a book "The Complete Book of Glass Beadmaking" which is excellent. There are a couple of other newer ones that are worthwhile.

You can learn a lot from reading, but the best way to learn this craft is taking classes and watching people. If you post where you live I'm sure people from your area will chime in. People here on LE are very willing to help.

Most of all, have fun and be safe!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2011-03-21, 8:02pm
Will work for Glass

My local library carried Cindy Jenkins - Making glass Beads. I checked it out and renewed it until they wanted it back. It is a great place to start.

Northern Mermaid Beads

Old 2011-03-22, 4:07am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

There is a lot of information both here on LE and also check out wetcanvas.com - go to the glass section and into the technical area - tons of free tutorials. I just finished reading Drew Frit's Flameworked Marble book and I wish I had known about it back when I started to make beads. It is WAY more than just about marbles - everything from setting up to torches to safety to techniques. You can find it on his website - worth every penny. It even tells you how to make a lot of the tools we use and also how to mix colors, including recipes - in conjunction with his website. Really Amazing read!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-03-22, 6:19am
Yorkies Rule

Passing the Flame is expensive, but worth every penny, a wealth of info and beautifully done.
Old 2011-03-22, 12:35pm

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it
Old 2011-03-22, 7:09pm
geekitude on two wheels

Passing the flame and Dunham's Contemporary Lampworking books are invaluable. Cindy Jenkins books were fab when they first came out, and still are a good starting point, but are a little dated and don't go very deeply into anything.
Old 2011-03-22, 7:20pm

I found Passing the Flame helpful and got it from Amazon.com for half the price. Books there are better priced than from lampwork supply stores.
Old 2011-03-22, 11:04pm

I have "Passing the Flame" and "Making Glass Beads" both. Not to put one down, they are both good books, but if I had to choose one as a beginner it would be "Passing the Flame" hands down. Corrina style of writing and the step by step picture tutorials are so easy to follow and the sucess you will experience are amazing. I found it easy to make all the beads and was very proud of them. I took a beginner class, and found the tecniques in this book easier than those I was taught in class, and more sucessful. The book is available in the garage sale area ocassionally and usually brings close to what they paid for it. (Not finding one right now) Any way I think you will find it is definitely worth the $60.
Old 2011-03-23, 1:53am

I love "Passing the Flame" but don't limit yourself to just books, there are a lot of great DVD's out there too. If your lucky enough to have a small tv and dvd player in your shop you can follow along just like in a class Only you can pause, rewind, replay over and over again
Old 2011-03-23, 8:56am
Butterfly Rancher

Lots of good instructional videos on YouTube as well. I usually learn better from books than video but with lampworking, seeing the glass flow is a critical step in the learning process.

If you're anywhere near Kentucky, try and go to the ISGB gathering this summer -- particularly for Open Torch. It's a great opportunity to see glass worked by all skill levels. There are a couple of threads in the Family Room about this year's Gathering or go to the ISGB website for more information.

As for books, both Cindy Jenkins and Passing the Flame are a bit dated; however both are still the best starting points for basic lampworking skills. Once you have the basic idea of melting glass and getting it on the mandrel, then look in the LE Tutorial section for techniques you find interesting. Also check the Gallery section for the daily show and tell. Most of the artists will have links to tutorials they've done. If you like a particular style, the artist may also have a blog with more information.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado