Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-09-28, 9:30pm
It's about having fun!

Default How do you get copper to look aged?

My biggest problem is that I don't know the right word to search either. Can you please tell me, what is the right word instead of "aged". And can anyone tell me how? I think it's late, I can't think! I'm using heavy copper wire.
Thanks!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-09-28, 9:49pm
Unmedicated since '62

patina, verdigris, antiqued

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-09-28, 10:54pm

You can use liver or sulphur to patina the copper, it will turn it everything from yellow - pinkish purpleish colors ending in dark aged look. There are other patina recipes that give a greenish or bluish color as though the copper has been left out in the open for a long time.

Old 2011-09-29, 12:16am
Resident hippie

Someone told me about putting copper in mashed hard boiled egg to age it. I haven't done it - it might be worth a try.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-09-29, 6:31am
Sheila Davis Designs

The hard boiled egg does work, but Liver of Sulpher is better. If you do the egg thing, put a whole, warm hard boiled egg in a paper bag with the piece of copper, (not touching!) Then put it inthe fridge.
You can also torch your copper, before you make something with it of course. Start slow until you get the patina you want, and be sure to hold the copper with pliers!
Rio Grande also has a large selection of patinas in different colors. Good luck!

Old 2011-09-29, 7:40am

liver of sulfur (potassium sulfide) works and can be bought almost anywhere - I noticed it even listed on amazon /wink
Old 2011-09-29, 8:29am
Resident hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
The hard boiled egg does work, but Liver of Sulpher is better. If you do the egg thing, put a whole, warm hard boiled egg in a paper bag with the piece of copper, (not touching!) Then put it inthe fridge.
You can also torch your copper, before you make something with it of course. Start slow until you get the patina you want, and be sure to hold the copper with pliers!
Rio Grande also has a large selection of patinas in different colors. Good luck!
Thanks for the details Sheila. What do you mean by "not touching"?

Old 2011-09-29, 11:02am

Here's a great place to start. They even sell the chemicals. http://www.sciencecompany.com/patina...naformulas.htm

Old 2011-09-29, 11:28am

roof layers used to put horse pee on parts of the copper roof they had replaced to get the copper to oxidize
Old 2011-09-29, 1:53pm
Queen Tut ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackmyra View Post
roof layers used to put horse pee on parts of the copper roof they had replaced to get the copper to oxidize

Old 2011-09-29, 2:42pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbratton View Post
Here's a great place to start. They even sell the chemicals. http://www.sciencecompany.com/patina...naformulas.htm
The science company rocks, just sayin'. Really fast shipment.

Old 2011-09-29, 5:27pm
honorary bead lady

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=copper+patina
Old 2011-09-29, 8:23pm
It's about having fun!

Thank you guys! I tried the torch, it works okay but I think I'll try some other remedies suggested!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-09-29, 8:24pm
It's about having fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackmyra View Post
Now that's funny!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-09-30, 1:03am

I used the hard boiled egg method for about two years before I got liver of sulphur. I like the egg method, it's slower and easier to control, but I'm not very patient lol.

Here's my method. Wash the jewelry with hot water and dawn detergent to remove any grease or oils or polishing compounds. Hard boil an egg. Have a ziplock bag big enough to accommodate the jewelry and the egg, with plenty of room left over. Put the egg in the bag, with the bag laying on a table. Then add the jewelry, keeping it toward the front of the bag. Seal the bag. I try to have the egg and jewelry in opposite corners. Then smash the egg, peel and all. Try not to get egg on the jewelry. Let the bag sit for about 15-20 minutes. Remove the jewelry and see if it has the color you want. If not, the egg has probably cooled too much to work, so pop the bag (unzipped) in the microwave and heat for 10-15 secs. Add the jewelry and seal, let it sit for another 15-20 mins. Repeat until it is the color you want. Then wash and polish with a polishing cloth or #0000 steel wool. Be careful not to make it too shiny again lol.
Old 2011-09-30, 3:36am
Resident hippie

Thanks Laci - I had imagined the copper right in with the mashed egg. So that's what Sheila meant. You keep the egg and the jewelry apart and it's the gases from the egg that does the oxidizing.

Old 2011-09-30, 10:58am
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadanna View Post
Thanks Laci - I had imagined the copper right in with the mashed egg. So that's what Sheila meant. You keep the egg and the jewelry apart and it's the gases from the egg that does the oxidizing.
Yes, it's the sulpher from the egg, hence liver of sulpher. But if it touches it will turn black.

Old 2011-09-30, 11:11am

somehow running around a field trying to collect horse pee for oxidizing effects isnt on my top 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonibird View Post
Now that's funny!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stackmyra
Old 2011-10-02, 11:18pm

You can get great color by burying the metal in a cat litter box, but I have to draw a line somewhere as so how far I'm willing to go for art lol. But a good friend of mine does this and her work is AMAZING. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's a way to get it clean enough that I'd be willing to touch it!