Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-01, 7:20am

Default Wire, what size?

I have never brought sterling wire to use in making charms with my beads or connecting beads for a bracelet. Do I get hard, soft , dead soft, half hard??? Also have you heard of wire that is non tarnish, not sterling, is it nice or cheap looking. Help!!! Do you have pictures of how you put it together

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mary Ann
DAUGHTER OF THE KING!
Loving life and Lampworking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-01, 8:02am
Jacqueline Parkes

I use half hard in either 22 or 20 gauge. I sometimes use 21 gauge as well but it is more difficult to find.

I don't know anything about non tarnish silver though, sorry.

There are so many ways to wirework beads into jewelry. When I first started out, I found a ton of free information and inspiration on the internet. Books are available as well. There are free videos on youtube. There are forums ( creative wire jewelry on Delphi) If you really want a quick start for inspiration, browse Etsy in the jewelry category.

Old 2012-01-01, 8:25am

Thank you so much! Do you know the link to the post that had all the sizing for silver tubing to make pandora beads?

Mary Ann
DAUGHTER OF THE KING!

Old 2012-01-01, 8:39am
Loving learning

Rio Grande has (argentium?) silver, which they say is slower to tarnish. I don't know if that is their brand or if others carry it also.
Old 2012-01-01, 10:15am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I use sterling silver half hard 20 gauge. I love argentium, but I had bought my ss awhile back and am on a budget. Argentium is not a brand. It is better for people with metal allergies as well as being slower to tarnish. It uses germanium instead of nickle. "Sterling" definition just requires a min. amount of silver, the rest of the metal can vary. Ever notice that Thai silver looks colder, more pale than Bali? The Argentium stays shiny looking.
Old 2012-01-01, 11:02am
Ooohhh! Shiny!

Fine silver is non-tarnish and won't fire scale if you are making headpins. I use20g soft wire (the only way fine silver comes) for wrapping. For earwires, I use half hard sterling.
Old 2012-01-01, 11:15am

For low-tarnish use argentium silver. I usually use dead soft 20 gauge. The wire will work harden as you bend it so I tend to start softer. Half-hard will work too. I find anything smaller than 20 gauge too flimsy. Just my 20c. If you intend to make chainmaille jewelry out of silver I would go at least with 18 gauge rings. I no longer use fine silver for findings. It does not tarnish but it scratches easily and is too soft for most applications I use wire for. I made a fused size 13 ring for myself out of it one night and I have to tumble or wash it once a week because it scratches so easily.

H

Last edited by Harry; 2012-01-01 at 11:19am.
Old 2012-01-01, 4:05pm

I don't know about fine silver tarnishing naturally, but I can tarnish it with liver of sulphur, so it seems like it would also tarnish naturally, just not as quickly. As to hardness, I only buy dead soft wire, and then work harden it.

As a lOwer priced alternative, I have heard good things about the silver filled wire, but I haven't used it myself, yet.
Old 2012-01-05, 4:58am

Default Thanks!

Everyone has such great ideas, I have a customer that has purchased several bracelets from me and whats one with the beads dangling. I am not real excited about doing this but willing to try, shes been such a good customer. Any help is great!

Mary Ann
DAUGHTER OF THE KING!

Old 2012-01-05, 12:10pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Once you'll do it I think you'll enjoy it. Wire wrapping is FUN!

~
~

#M-191