LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-04, 7:10am

Smile glass compatability

I know you cannot mix compatabilities in glass. My question is can you use 96 co and 104 to put dots on without breaking
Ann
Old 2006-10-04, 7:16am

I do this quite a bit- If you use it the same way you use frit- as in don't overkill- it is usually fine- I have cracked beads- but i tend to push it a bit.

Do remember that even some 104s don't play well together- so test beads are a good idea if you know you want to try a whole set with specific colors.
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------
Make Beads:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2006-10-04, 3:05pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMBJM
I know you cannot mix compatabilities in glass. My question is can you use 96 co and 104 to put dots on without breaking
Ann
Good question. I have wondered about this forever. I wouldn't take a chance on it. I would use all the same COE when it comes to dots, unless you are going to melt them in all the way. I just see raised dots popping off somehow...

I made a bead with black Moretti, then put swirls of reactive reduction frit glass, and then Moretti clear raised dots over that. It was months ago, and it still has not broken, but hmmm...maybe next year...surprise! I don't know. I would make something with incompatabilities for myself to wear, but definitely not if it was going to be sold or given to someone else.
Old 2006-10-05, 8:11am
Missing presumed fed

I make 104 beads with raised dots of reduction glass, which is 96. I have to be ultra-careful to make sure that the dots are well attached. Raised decoration in a non-compatible glass is more prone to pop off than raised decoration in the same COE.

Melted-in dots of 96 COE on 104 glass are the same as using 96 frit on 104 glass, except they're rounder. Use sparingly and you're OK.

I'm not comfortable encasing 96 decoration on 104 glass. I've done it, and the beads have now been around for several years without cracking, but it makes me nervous.
Old 2006-10-05, 8:35am
one day at a time

I've been making these for a loooong time and have never had any customers report back to me that they have broken. They are Val's Oscelot Spots (COE 92-94, I believe) and it's pulled frit stringer applied in a single layer on the transparent base. I use 96 COE for the stringer pull and the base.

At first, I was making them with 104 COE and that made me nervous because this stringer partially encases the frit. And it's applied in three wraps around the base, so I figured this: all that frit partially encased on a little bead would be risky. I changed to 96 COE to use with this frit for my peace of mind. Essentially, most of the frit is on the surface, but plenty is melted into the base too. Does that even make sense??

Yeah, me too. I would feel nervous about encasing reduction frit too.
Attached Images