Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2012-01-18, 8:56am
what's a senior moment ?

Default Question about Minor and Mega Minor

Has anyone out there used both of these torches ? If so, can you tell me the difference in the two other than the price ? I have a minor so am familiar with what it can do.
Thanks,
Debbie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-18, 9:02am

I have never had a minor, but I do have a mega minor. It's a pretty powerful little torch. Hot enough to do some decent sized beads. I still like the Mini CC over the Minor or mega though. I know you didn't ask for that but I thought I would throw that in. Just my preference. I like the mini because it's hotter and the flame is a bit more bushy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-01-18, 9:15am

The Mega Minor has a different port size so that it's hotter and a bit better for boro.
Old 2012-01-18, 9:33am
burnin' glass just becuz

the minor has a narrow intense flame which is great for smaller beads (under 2"). The Mega has a wider, "fluffier" flame that is overall hotter but not as intensely hot in the centre of the flame as the Minor plus gives great radiant heat. The flame is very adjustable as well. IMO this makes it perfect for sculpting and detailed beads. On my Mega on one 5LPM oxycon (approx 65% torch capacity), i can easily make 2-4" sculpted and decorated beads, up to about an inch thickness with few worries about cracking ends.

I've had mine for a few years and i'm now finally upgrading the oxycon to see what it can do and how big i can work in soft & boro when its functioning at full capacity

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland

Last edited by ewdb; 2012-01-18 at 9:37am.
Old 2012-01-18, 9:39am
...displaced ocean lover

I've used both and agree with what has already been said.

I would add that I find it a bit more difficult to get a tiny flame to just spot heat on the bead, like I could on the Minor. But I do mostly sculptural beads so I love the big area of radiant heat that I get from the Mega Minor vs Minor.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-01-18, 9:53am
Salt Box Beads

I have used them both and I like the minor too but I have to wear full kevlar sleeves because the radient heat burns my arms. I have sensitive skin but wearing the sleeves isn't a problem.

I used a Mini CC and loved it. When I switched to the Mega Minor I promptly melted right through two mandrels. It was much hotter so it took awhile to figure out.
Old 2012-01-18, 10:47am
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I have never had a minor, but I do have a mega minor. It's a pretty powerful little torch. Hot enough to do some decent sized beads. I still like the Mini CC over the Minor or mega though. I know you didn't ask for that but I thought I would throw that in. Just my preference. I like the mini because it's hotter and the flame is a bit more bushy.

So, the Mini CC is hotter and has a bushier flame than the mega minor ? I guess I should explain my inquiries. I am using a Piranha now and while I love it for the pinpoint flame, it doesn't have any bushiness to it. I need some of that for where I'm going - which is LARGE blown beads. I really don't want or need a bigger torch, just the bushiness.

Old 2012-01-18, 10:57am

I agree that the Mega could melt through a mandrel. It's more of a focused flame don't you think? I think the Mini CC is bushier but plenty hot. The Carlisle torches seem to penetrate the glass with heat more then super heat the surface if that makes sense. I work with a Herbert Arnold torch mostly and that one is super hot with a focused flame. Great for quick gathering of glass or making encased beads. I love my Carlisle (Wildcat) for doing sculptural work because it has nice radiant heat and keeps everything warm without focused heat on the surface. If you want a bushier more radiant heat torch, my pick would be the Mini CC or even more, the Wildcat.

Now to confuse you even more. I also use my Japanese torch side by side with my Herbie if I am making anything sculptural. It is great for keeping my piece warmed through in between doing detail work. That doesn't use any oxy either. Nice choice too.

That being said, torches are such a personal individual thing. There are torches out there that folks rave about that I am personally not that fond of.

Last edited by glassactcc; 2012-01-18 at 11:04am.
Old 2012-01-18, 10:59am
Did someone say SALE?

I am interested in the same question. Good info so far!
Old 2012-01-18, 11:07am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
So, the Mini CC is hotter and has a bushier flame than the mega minor ? I guess I should explain my inquiries. I am using a Piranha now and while I love it for the pinpoint flame, it doesn't have any bushiness to it. I need some of that for where I'm going - which is LARGE blown beads. I really don't want or need a bigger torch, just the bushiness.
No, the mega minor can be much hotter depending on the oxygen you put through it.

It can do boro easily as shown in this video clip below. People that compare torches on concentrators do not get to use the torch at capacity. If you use tanked you can get a much larger hotter flame or if you use three concentrators together etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INjLBsdKMHU
Old 2012-01-18, 11:36am
what's a senior moment ?

Thanks for that little tidbit Lorraine. I am using an M-20 concentrator. Hoping that will suffice with something like the Mega Minor. I also noticed in that video where you attach the hoses are threaded and my hoses have nothing on the ends. I'm guessing I can just attach like I do with Piranha which has the barbed ends.

Old 2012-01-18, 11:48am
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I agree that the Mega could melt through a mandrel. It's more of a focused flame don't you think? I think the Mini CC is bushier but plenty hot. The Carlisle torches seem to penetrate the glass with heat more then super heat the surface if that makes sense. I work with a Herbert Arnold torch mostly and that one is super hot with a focused flame. Great for quick gathering of glass or making encased beads. I love my Carlisle (Wildcat) for doing sculptural work because it has nice radiant heat and keeps everything warm without focused heat on the surface. If you want a bushier more radiant heat torch, my pick would be the Mini CC or even more, the Wildcat.

Now to confuse you even more. I also use my Japanese torch side by side with my Herbie if I am making anything sculptural. It is great for keeping my piece warmed through in between doing detail work. That doesn't use any oxy either. Nice choice too.

That being said, torches are such a personal individual thing. There are torches out there that folks rave about that I am personally not that fond of.
Wow, great info here too. I'm still a little way off from purchasing but I do agree, it's a personal thing as far as what one likes but because I've only used the Piranha and the Minor, I'm clueless what will give me what I need as far as the bushier flame. That's why the question. If I hadn't bent my minor so badly, I'd hook that up and try it again but I think I've hurt it too much. lol !

As for getting confused, nah. I'm just keeping it simple trying to decide what I'll need for my purposes. I'm not going any bigger so all the extra info is a good source for others.

So it looks like it's between the Mini CC and the Mega Minor. Is the mini cc barbed or threaded where the hoses hook on ?
When you use your mini cc, are you tanked or concentrator ?
I am using an M-20 concentrator.
I think I'll check out the websites as well.

Old 2012-01-18, 12:01pm
...displaced ocean lover

Herbert Arnold torch?? I'll Google that right now!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-01-26, 8:45am
what's a senior moment ?

Just wanted to come back and say thanks to all of you for your help on this. I just ordered a Mini CC after MUCH deliberation and reading.
Something else I've learned - alot of the newly manufactured torches are now coming with the B fittings that attach to the hose that goes into your torch. Because of that, I also had to get barb attachments to go with the torch so I can use the hoses I already have. That was an additional charge. The two torches I do have - have the barb fittings. Always something..........

Old 2012-01-26, 8:57am
Lampworkaholic!

Well, I was going to say GTT. I my Scorpion. But the Mini CC is nice too ...

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-01-26, 9:11am

The Mini has much more radiant heat then the GTT. The GTT is better for boro, but the Mini is better for sculptural and larger beads I think.