Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-09-07, 4:41pm

Post music when lampworking

Is having music playing while youre working with your torch a distraction? Or is it perfectly safe to have?
Old 2013-09-07, 7:55pm
kinda torching....

I think it varies from person to person.. As in some people can't have the slightest distraction, personally, I love to jam out! Takes my mind off of all the outside the studio thoughts and pressures and lets me focus on the task at hand. To be fair though, safety nuts always say no distractions in the work place...
Old 2013-09-07, 8:04pm

I have my ipod going, loud, the whole time. I am so focused on the work that I often don't even realize it is on.
Old 2013-09-08, 1:45am
Feminist Killjoy

I crank the iPod, too. I just have to be careful that I don't get hypnotized by certain songs.
Old 2013-09-08, 5:07am
Melody of Glass

I have tv shows or movies going on the computer on my bench. I do restrict it to ones I've seen a bunch of times as I don't ever look up. It's more background noise. I've tried audio books but I tune in and out so often that I lose track of the plot. I'm currently on the last disk of season 9 of Seinfeld. I think I know most of those by heart so they are perfect for me.

Definitely agree it varies person to person. When I was in Murano, there was a woman making glass pens with one hand and playing solitaire on the computer with the other!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-08, 5:46am

Honestly i only asked this qiestion to see how many people there are just like me who like to crank up some music while working and it seems im deffinetly not alone
Old 2013-09-08, 6:47am
Lampworkaholic!

I thought music while torching was mandatory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-09-08, 7:19am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

For me, it is my Irish music blaring.....and at some point when I finish a bead and am moving to the kiln, I realize the music has stopped and I am totally through that extensive playlist!!!!

Old 2013-09-08, 7:47am
Dazed and Confused

I'm kinda weird, but I prefer spoken word radio when I work. Over here in the US I normally tune into an NPR station and listen to the news. Back in the UK I used to be an inveterate Radio 4 listener.

Back when I was still working in factories, they'd have a commercial radio station blaring all day, to the point where you ended up being able to quote the commercials verbatim 0_o
Which is why when I"m on my own time I go for non-commercial radio every time, or just enjoy the silence.

Though, I guess I'm showing my age

iPods and music streaming make it all different now. One isn't as dependent on quality radio as one used to be
Old 2013-09-08, 1:32pm
Queen Bee

And I love the zen of silence when I'm torching - well, that being a relative word as the oxycon, ventilation and torch noise is still there, lol. Music on top of that would make me crazy. Whatever works for you!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-09-08, 2:11pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Depends on my mood. Lately it's recorded books. Music ranges from symphonic metal to world music to jazz to the old school country I grew up with. If I'm angry it's Korn and Metallica.

Old 2013-09-08, 4:34pm

Music for sure!

Old 2013-09-08, 5:51pm
Wonder-wench

for me music is mandatory, preferably loud so that 1) I can hear it over the equipment and 2) it's loud enough to mask my singing along

Old 2013-09-10, 6:37am
Flamewoman

I just got sirius radio for my studio and it has increased my creativity, I have been listening to the coffee house channel and it is wonderful. No commercials, and stimulating music. That's what I like.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-09-10, 8:09am
Mary Lockwood

I used to be anti-music at the torch because it was a distraction. I needed to concentrate on what I was doing. Now, the glass comes easier and my brain needs something to do so I BLAST music in my studio. What I play depends, but it's always something. If music isn't doing it for me, I play reruns of Downton Abbey.

Old 2013-09-11, 1:43pm
Missing presumed fed

Audiobooks!
Old 2013-09-11, 2:03pm

Yes, love to have the music on! Country Music
Old 2013-09-11, 3:20pm
Phragile Glasswerks

Reggae, Reggae, Reggae all day mon!
Old 2013-09-13, 8:29am

Audiobooks! from Audible. Sometimes music. I can't work in silence.... or the ventilation, concentrator, torch noise. I need something other then the studio sounds....

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2013-09-13, 12:47pm
Ooohhh! Shiny!

I already have a problem with not hearing my DH come up behind me or come in to ask a question. Scares the crap out of me every time. I think using my Ipod would only make that worse.
Old 2013-09-16, 7:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen P View Post
I already have a problem with not hearing my DH come up behind me or come in to ask a question. Scares the crap out of me every time. I think using my Ipod would only make that worse.
I have the same problem. I tell them to yell from a distance until they see me respond. I tell them to look for a sign. I tilt my head or give a one hand thumbs up so they can approach me... otherwise stay back and don't scare me.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2013-09-16, 8:28am

I put up a wonderful tv on the wall in front of me, so I will watch a movie, program or a music station!

Mary Ann
DAUGHTER OF THE KING!
Loving life and Lampworking

Old 2013-09-16, 10:49am

Depends upon what I'm making...if its something detailed and I need to concentrate on it I turn it all off.
Found I love listening to audio books while making simple thinkless things(cough icicles) over and over and over again.

Old 2013-09-18, 12:36am
"Sinners have soul too"

I need music... depending on my mood, depends on what I listen to. I'll listen to nearly anything, except opera and twangy country and most rap.

Old 2013-09-18, 2:48pm
Oh, baby, I m'know...

Pandora on my iPad. Lately it's been The Black Keys channel.

Old 2013-09-18, 6:09pm
Ambivitreous

Almost always torch to tunes. I don't find it distracting at all. If I get into something that needs more attention, the music just drops out of my attention. I've never found it distracting to the point of compromising safety.

Rockin' 2 Nortel Red Maxes with Mega Minor topfires on natural gas & 6 EX-15s with my glass accomplice Lisa F-R
Old 2013-09-21, 7:05pm

I listen to audio books mostly now. I do love the sound of the torch though and some days that's enough. As time goes by I don't have to think much about what I am doing so my brain is able to focus on other things like audio books.

Old 2013-09-23, 5:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugmommie View Post
Yes, love to have the music on! Country Music
Is there any other way?
Old 2013-09-23, 5:54pm

Cool

I am deffinetly not the only one who has music going when i work. I think its nice to hear something other than your torch and the clinking of mandrels and rods...and your vetilation of couse

Last edited by mikestuart282; 2013-09-23 at 5:57pm.
Old 2013-09-23, 8:19pm

MUSIC, music, MUSIC Not only to enjoy but when a cd is over I know it's time for me to get up and stretch or rest and do some yoga for my tired old back.

_