AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-06-03, 11:37am
See my quote!!

Kevan what can I say........those are absolutely gorgeous!! The pink is my ultimate favourite.

I second what you all have said about Sherry - her technique is amazing and I cannot wait to see her tutorial. It's definitely going to be hot!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-06-03, 12:51pm

Default AMAZING!!

Wow,

People have been busy figuring out how to make a Sherry bead. If imitation is the highest form of complement, which in this case, I think it is, Sherry should be honored. I would love to purchase the tutorial when it comes out.

Every time I see a little vessel I think "Tink" and now every time I see a mesh bead I think "Sherry." Every seahorse with the amazing twisties is a "Kimberly" bead. Salmon eggs are "Andreas," etc.

Thank you everyone for sharing and for giving credit to artists that inspired you. I think that keeps everyone willing to keep sharing. Great job everyone! It has been fun following this thread.

Lisa
Old 2008-06-03, 2:42pm
Entropy increasing....

Sherry, is it going to be a written tut or a video? I would love to watch you make beads!
Old 2008-06-03, 3:56pm
Born Facing Left

It'll be a written tut, Kev, but with lots of photos. Right now I'm editing the written part....I have a tendency to ramble on and on, a bad tendency, lol.

Old 2008-06-03, 3:59pm

I just finished a week at Red Deer College in Sherry's course and I can't tell you how wonderful she is. She is the most innovative and creative artist and a wonderfully nurturing instructor. If you take any course at all this year, hers is the one! You Americans need to go to your local stores and beg them to bring her down LOL!
Jessica
Old 2008-06-04, 9:58pm
Catnip Pusher

Frankly, though I have nevertaken any lampworking classes (except GlassStock one year), I would totally go for a class with Sherry if it were anywhere near me!

I've played a lot with the mesh technique too, mostly as a base for my "undersea" beads:

I sure wish my local Michaels carried the copper mesh! I tend to waste a lot of it, as I like to have something to grab onto when getting the "smoosh"!

Can't wait for Sherry's tutorial!!!

Aimee
Old 2008-06-04, 10:03pm
Entropy increasing....

Google "copper mesh crafts" and you will get lots of sources.
Old 2008-06-05, 11:09am

I am very happy to be in Sherry's class at Glass Stock! And I'd definitely buy the Tutorial!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-06-05, 2:16pm
Lynne Smith

Well its taken me 3 days to post my first attempt. I need to let the glass push through more next time.
Thanks to everyone especially Astrid for the ideas, hints and tips.
Lynne S.

Old 2008-06-05, 5:46pm
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Smith View Post
Well its taken me 3 days to post my first attempt. I need to let the glass push through more next time.
Thanks to everyone especially Astrid for the ideas, hints and tips.
Lynne S.

Hey, there's definite bulge there! Thank you SO MUCH for starting this thread - I've enjoyed it tremendously! Lisa
Old 2008-06-05, 7:08pm

Sherry-You are a class act, an incredibly talented artist, and a credit to our community. Thanks for your generosity!
Old 2008-06-06, 4:37am
Nature Coast

Here is a bead I made using the copper mesh Haley was so generous to gift me...thanks again Haley!
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-06, 7:26am

Geez I am sooooooo not doing this right!!! I get very small bumpies and my final bead is so distorted it's more a lump than a bead. I'm VERY impressed with yall's success!!!

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2008-06-06, 9:13pm

Sherry, This is the first time I have ever seen your beads. I'm speechless. Wow! or Amazing, or Fascinating...doesn't do justice...well, fascinating is almost close to describing them.
I look at them and want to get on the torch.

I'm kind of in a bead rut right now, like a photographer who says, it's already been done 1million times before so why am I trying so hard to do it? But these make me think otherwise. I can't explain what they made me feel very well, but it is all positive.

I can't wait for the tutorial. Oh to take a class!!! FUN!

And thank you all for the tips so I can play around a bit now.

Old 2008-06-06, 9:15pm
Entropy increasing....

Angie that's some seriously good squish on that last one!

I got one bead made last night before I ran out of oxy. Don't you hate that!

Old 2008-06-06, 9:31pm
Metallic Flame Studios

kudos Sherry... you are an inspiration to our art, in more ways than the beautiful beads you make, but the even more beautiful HEART you share.....

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2008-06-07, 11:59am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Angie that's some seriously good squish on that last one! I got one bead made last night before I ran out of oxy. Don't you hate that!
Aaaahhhhh!!! I LOVE THIS ONE!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-06-07, 12:22pm
Entropy increasing....

Thanks DeAnne. I like the way it came out.
Old 2008-06-07, 12:26pm
Born Facing Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicajane View Post
I just finished a week at Red Deer College in Sherry's course and I can't tell you how wonderful she is. She is the most innovative and creative artist and a wonderfully nurturing instructor. If you take any course at all this year, hers is the one! You Americans need to go to your local stores and beg them to bring her down LOL!
Jessica
Thank you Jessica! You were a joy to teach! (And...thanks for the card and the bookmark....just beautiful, I will treasure them!)

Old 2008-06-07, 2:58pm
Flame Dame

Here's my feeble attempt at Sherry's wonderful technique. I definitely find it easier to work on larger beads rather than smaller.
Attached Images

Etsy ID: leahbeads
Old 2008-06-07, 7:40pm

Wow! You guys are all doing such a fabulous job with this technique! I'm totally in awe. I'm taking Sherry's Chaos class at Glass Stock this year and I'm already counting the days. Sherry's beads are indescribable and if I can learn even a smidge from her, I'll feel like the luckiest person in the world!

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2008-06-08, 8:12am

i followed this tread and and just wanted to give it also a try... i think i got it... but have i to small mesh?
thank you all for the superb information and great pictures!!
hugs
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-08, 8:28am
Most have those beadies

I'd gave it a try too and I admit I have to practice a lot:

my
my

my
my

Old 2008-06-08, 9:28am
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by creartelier View Post
i followed this tread and and just wanted to give it also a try... i think i got it... but have i to small mesh?
thank you all for the superb information and great pictures!!
hugs
Wow Jacqueline - that's an awesome bead! Hey, if you can get the glass to ooze through, then the mesh isn't too small - more personal preference. Isn't this a fantabulous thread? Thanks for sharing. Lisa
Old 2008-06-08, 9:32am
Glassy Broad :-)

Sherry, this IS the highest form of flattery you know! Your beads rock, I look at them often, and I've been following this thread like a hawk!
I have yet to get any mesh, I'm still new to the bead making world, but having too too much fun! Just so you know, I live on the west coast, Oregon to be exact. Any plans for teaching on this side of the world this year? If not, I would purchase your tutorial in a heart beat!! Thanks again!
Good work everyone! I love brainstorming, and this is IT at it's finest!!
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2008-06-08, 11:09am

youre right lisa, this is a great tread!! i loove all the beads came out with this techniqu... they are all so different and fabulous!!!

Old 2008-06-13, 7:34am

thanks for posting all of this info everyone. i cant wait for the tutorial. beautiful beads everyone!
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-06-13, 11:43am

For me the highest form of flattery to an artist is when another artist respects their talent by taking a class to learn their technique and then takes that technique and incorporates it into their own original style and design.

Can't wait to see your tutorial Sherry. I'm sure you'll do a top notch job

Old 2008-06-13, 11:58am
Wild at Heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sislonski View Post
For me the highest form of flattery to an artist is when another artist respects their talent by taking a class to learn their technique and then takes that technique and incorporates it into their own original style and design.

Can't wait to see your tutorial Sherry. I'm sure you'll do a top notch job
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

Every artists stuggles so hard to find their own voice and develop techniques that no one else does. When they do, it , it must be an amazing feeling for them. In doing so, they deserve to have their own moment of glory in making a living from this discovery until they are willing to share it with tutorials or classes.

Sherry, I can't wait until Glass Stock!! I'm looking forward to your classes, meeting you and learning from you. I'm taking your shipwreck class. I decided to take it for a specific reason. The chaos technique is wonderful and I would love to make beads like that, but because it's So unique, I could see how I could take it in my own direction, so i took shipwreck instead. i already have ideas for THAT!! lol!

I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Kristi

??
Old 2008-06-14, 5:33am
Lover of all things color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
I have a gallery on my website that has lots of example of "Chaos" beads, it's here:

http://www.orcabeads.com/Lentils1/

Most of these are done with mesh with about 1/8 inch openings. There's one bead in the row that's made with smaller openings, it's called "copperchaos", I think it's about the middle of the row. The effect is quite different, more spikey and detailed. The smaller mesh is much more challenging to use, but I like it for tiny beads. When I first started teaching this technique , I was only using the small mesh, but now I mostly use the 1/8 stuff.

(Also, the small mesh that I first used was window screen made of copper, and it frayed horribly, often leaving little sharp bits sticking out of the bead. Not good, lol. The mesh that I now use is fused together, but the raw edges can still be nasty.)
Sherry, forget the tutorial, you just need to write a book. I was looking at the beads on the above site and there are so many techniques that I would love to learn. For example "Artifacts in Chaos 1" on the side opposite the copper mesh, what is that base color and how do you get that wonderful crackle affect??? Book, we need a book. With lots and lots of pictures.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con