LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-01-31, 5:11pm

Great job. I so wish that my DH would have let us put wall board up. It would have been warmer this winter.
Love the ventilation also plus the returns. Awesome job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rose Leslie
Old 2010-02-11, 12:59pm

What a fantastic studio!! Very professional job!

Linda
Old 2010-02-15, 8:26am
Gentleman of Leisure

So after being in operation for a while, is ventilation adequate or is there any changes you would make?....

This picture is probably the "poster child" for how to do under bench ventilation...

Yours is a very good example on how to do it right (at least in my opinion).....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-02-15 at 8:33am.
Old 2010-02-15, 1:46pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

I'll second that motion. Very nice and 'professional' looking setup. I do have some reservations re the vents being close to the back wall rather than out nearer the torch location. But maybe that works also. Did you do a smoke test and if so what were the results? I'm shopping for parts to do mine similarly.
Love it, PJ
Old 2010-02-19, 7:06am
Flamewoman

Thank you Dale for the comment, and thanks for all your help when I was doing this.
You are likely the most valuable member of LE because of your endeavor to make people think about being safe, and your willingness to help them to that end.
Would I change anything? NO! My ventilation works really great, I am so happy with it.
PJ we did do a smoke test, with a burning newspaper and incense, and it really works great. As far as the replacement air vents being at the back of the bench, that is not a problem at all. Someone else had put the vents close to the torch(like along side) and the air coming thru the vents did pummel the flame a lot. My flame is not blown around by the replacement air with the vents at the back of the bench. I also have another vent under the table, and I have a window directly behind me. I open some of this other air when weather permits.
The only thing I would change about the whole set up is maybe a bigger air conditioner, the one we put in does not cool the shed past 2pm on a 100 degree day. Oh well, when it's really hot I torch early, and quit and take my dogs for a swim.
I am always amazed by those who go with the duct in front of the torch, no vent hood type of ventilation. In my opinion, it can not work. You need a vent hood to catch the fumes, collect and expel them. I am so glad I did my homework before we did this. That is why I posted my studio, I would be happy if anyone gets an idea of how to do it from my system. It works!

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-02-20, 12:03pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Thanks Mary K for the input and for showing us your studio. I am glad to hear that the rear mounted vents work. That fact adds another thing to consider in my planning. luckily here in the Seattle area we do not get 100 degree days; we do have a lot of moist 60 to 70 degree days so staying warm is the challenge. Again, the studio is looking great and very well done. Now let's see some work)
PJ
Old 2010-07-06, 2:30pm

Ok so this may be a super stupid question but hopefully I'll be smarter once someone enlightens me!!!

My problem is I don't understand the return air vents. I get that the hood is ducted to the outside and there is a fan/blower outside drawing the air/contaminants out. I have read other posts about figuring all this out and I can understand the way this "vent" works. The return vents DO NOT have any kind of fan attached is this correct?

Is there a vacuum produced from the air being pulled out that then sucks air into the return vents from outside. If this is the case Mary K has 3 or is it 4 return vents. How would you determine how many you need?
Old 2010-07-06, 4:50pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Simply nature abhors a vacuum..... The fan pulled air from room and creates a low pressure area (vacuum) nature then pushes air in the "makeup air" duct to try and create equilibrium in studio.... In practice the room itself (and gap in vent duct) does not exist the whole system is just one long section of duct with a fan at one end....

Any fresh air vent (make up air) should be larger than the exhaust ducting because it is somewhat passive by nature.... In the case above 2 would probably have been sufficient, but three is better, and its easier to close one off than to add one once studio is finished if its determined 3 is to many....

The two above statements sound somewhat contradictory but in actual application they are not...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-07-06 at 4:55pm.
Old 2010-07-06, 5:23pm

Thank you Dale, I appreciate your response somehow my brain didn't want to accept what I was pretty sure was happening your explanation helped me I get it

Thanks