No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-10-05, 2:15pm
Bead Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Gleaton View Post
Looking at your wonderful studio, I have a question. I am getting ready to set up a new Nortel Mega Minor torch and vent system. The way you have your vent tubes set up, do they work adequately for exhaust? What size fan do you use? TIA, Dianne
Dianne, my son has given specific information on the fan setup in post #15. Keep in mind that the size of the fan depends on the size of your studio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-10-06, 2:49pm
Dianne Gleaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGGEDCHEVYS View Post
Considering you dont know squat about the specs of the size of the studio the size of the duct the size of the fan or if the set up is even complete at the time of the pics I give your ASSessment tact and input a D-

but just to fill you in the shop is aprox 965cf with a variable speed 1500cfm 10 inch inline fan. 10-8-7 inch drop down ducting with a larger flange opening "capture" box that goes on the 7 inch duct that was not installed so I could grout the tile. considering that there is enough fan to clear the complete volume of air in the studio in less than a min and litterally sucks the flame into the duct yep not effective at all.......
Ok, I am setting up a new to me torch area in my studio, I am in doubt as to the size fan I need. My ducting will have only one elbow in the rafter area where it will attach to the fan, so from the bench to the fan should be a straight shot of about 7-8 feet, the room is about 14'x16', with four large windows for make up air, plus a door if needed. What size fan do you recommend? Could you send photo of the "capture box at the end" please. What is it constructed from? Standard shelf material or custom made? Thank you , Dianne......I too envy your glass stash
Old 2011-10-07, 9:47am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Default Fan Size

The size of the fan depends on the size of the opening in the hood or other 'catchment' device and to some extent on the configuration of the hood. the size of the room is immaterial. The formula is generally considered to be...

Fan size in CFM = (area of hood opening in Cu. Ft.) X Constant

Constant = 125 for hood with no side shielding OR 100 for hood with side shields. It can be adjusted somewhat to accomodate various types of side shielding. Since my side shields/baffels are triangular I used 115 aprx.

Ducting is another matter. There are formulas to calculate duct size and the effect of elbows and other obstructions in the ducting. You will have to know the fan specifications regarding the resistance it will push against to find the size. This is not scientific but I would say below 750 cfm you can get away with 6" ducting, 750 cfm to 1000 cfm use 8", 1000 cfm to 1500/1700 cfm use 10", and 1500/1700 cfm to 3000 cfm use 12", etc. these are just ball park and your results will vary depending on bends, length of ducting, and tolerable air noise.

To get a more pprecise size call your local HVAC shop and tell them your hood (plenum) size, fan specs, length of ducting run, etc and ask them to calculate the duct size. Most can tell you instantly.
Attached Images

Last edited by cheng076; 2011-10-07 at 9:59am.
Old 2012-04-08, 1:15pm

Just upgraded moms fan to a 12 inch 1750cfm inline maxcan can fan and holy shit i think its going to suck stuff off the table def going to need put the speed controller on this one lol! Her studio is coming back to life and is almost clean. Ran hard lines for her propane and multiple medical grade copper hard lines to come. Plan is to remote mount her concentrators and tanked o2 have each concentrator set up on a gang box light switch on the bench and the tanked o2 for backup and outter rings on torches.
Old 2012-04-08, 3:25pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Default Tanks and oxycons

I have my center fire on oxycons most of the time but for those times when only the good stuff (purity) will do I have a switchover valve setup. Swing two ball valves and I'm on tanks and oxycons are vented so I can leave them running. Sorry I lost all my photos when the HD crashed a couple months ago.
PJH