Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2006-03-22, 2:54pm
Michelle Morrison-Geschke

Talking OK, I admit it...no studio...Yet! Check out page two!

OK, I admit it...I have no studio...Edited to add - Yet!
Congratulations to all of you with Studios! I've been lurking here on occasion and drooling over what you are all building. Instead of commenting on each one, let me just say...

I'm Jealous...Green with Envy...and also very happy for each and every one of you that have the space to play!

Someday...

Luckily there are a few places in town that I can use, but it would be nice to not have to arrange for a sitter...sign up for time...pay studio fees...lose materials to people who 'pop in to see what you're doin'...

I do have to admit my very suportive hubby has been gracious about my jewlery design work and the beads that have invaded the living room. Ok, so they have completely taken over the whole room... The lampworking is another story... He is just against the stuff that could blow up our little home!

Lots of warm thoughts and creative energy to you all!
Michelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New items!

I'm mostly over at Facebook these days... and working. Life has gotten... Hectic. I will try to check messages here... but try FB if you need me...

Last edited by Beyond the Bead; 2006-08-17 at 12:58pm. Reason: add note that potential studio on horizon - watch for pics!
Old 2006-03-22, 4:50pm
Glass-A-Holic ^..^

Michelle,

I am sorry to hear that your husband is against it in your home .

You could buy a HH and a small tank of MAPP gas and work outside like I do (on warm days). My boyfriend was the same as your husband for a long long time. He wouldn't even let me think of buying a kiln and my beads were cracking! After he started torching he has finally changed his mind (eight months for this). We still work outside but that is just until we can afford the other stuff. Even then it might take him forever to finish the ventilation system!

So I will keep my fingers crossed for you and you should really think about a HH and a small can of MAPP gas (that can be kept outside). It is more expensive this way, but you won't have to pay someone else to use their studio.

Just an idea if you don't need a super fancy torch.

Alaina
Old 2006-03-22, 6:12pm
Fancy Mammal

And of course, you could still go rent torch time when it's too cold / rainy to torch at home.
Old 2006-03-22, 6:51pm

I used to have borrowed space around the house. First in the center of the basement, then between the two garage doors.

I know others have fancier places, or prettier places. I firmly believe any place you can etch out and call your own, rocks.

If you were closer I'd invite you to come over.

Good luck with the waiting game. I think it makes you appreciate the space you get more in the end. At least it has for me.
Old 2006-03-22, 9:35pm
Corgi Cult Member

Alaina's suggestion would be a great solution to your problem. You could even store the mapp canister outside instead of in the garage. Outdoors the gas does not pose a problem. Even if the canister were to leak it would disapate into the environment. Remind him that most every house around has a propane tank for their gas grill. I can assure you most people are not as careful with their gas grills as lampworkers are with their torches!
Kathy
Old 2006-03-24, 10:53am

Default Thank you!

I appreciate the great suggestions!
I think I might try the "outside" suggestion this summer (we usually have a dry month in August...I'm in Oregon!)

I am so lucky to have such a wonderful and supportive husband...you should really see what I've done with the living room and all my jewelry making stuff! Luckily he is a big fan of safety, or I would have set the whole place on fire by now!

I think he would be more than willing to share some space in the garage with me (as long as the dogs don't mind...). Just a matter of time and finances to get it done - definitly not a lack of emotional support!

I've read a few posts from people that make it sound like they don't put their beads in a kiln right out of the flame... I was taught that they had to go in immediately... anyone want to elaborate???

Michelle

and
New items!

I'm mostly over at Facebook these days... and working. Life has gotten... Hectic. I will try to check messages here... but try FB if you need me...
Old 2006-03-24, 1:29pm
Glass-A-Holic ^..^

Michelle,

I use a fiber blanket (available at most glass stores) until I can get my beads batch annealed. My sculptural type beads tend to crack...but they are about 2" LOL. You just get your bead super hot, then do the tap test to make sure it is hard enough and put it in the blanket until it is cool. Oh yes...no removing before they are cool or they crack! I have actually managed to finally make loops on my pendants that haven't been cracking! Some places sell two types of fiber blankets. Pay extra and get the one that is not hazardous to your health (they contain asbestos like substance).

Alaina
Old 2006-03-24, 1:50pm

Default Thank you!

Mintleaf,
I've been confused but curious by the comments I've been reading...
Thanks for letting me know how you handle your beads!

One of these days I hope to add a new thread here with pictures of a studio space - mine!

Michelle

and
New items!

Old 2006-03-24, 3:59pm

I play outside in the driveway with a BBQ tank (yup, same kind as on the grill) of propane & a hothead, and stuff my beads into a fiber blanket for cooling....then I send them off to a friend with a kiln for annealing...granted it's only good for small stuff, but it does let me 'torch at home' as long as it's not windy/raining/freezing--and I'm in maine! (brrr...haven't lit my torch since october--talk about withdrawals)...my landlady is very tolerant--I live in a teensy 2 room basement apartment under her house (used to be the garage) so, if i want to torch here right now, that's my choice--outdoors, or not at all ...and I want to torch!! A hothead is cheap (under $50, pick one up in the garage sale forum ) & I just bought a brand new BBQ tank to keep my tank from "accidentally" getting mixed up with the grill tank--and I take it to be filled myself--I don't ever "swap" it for a trade-in--I like my shiny new tank! ... so I can make small stuff like spacers, tabs, lentils, & practice a lot for "free" without paying huge torch-time fees....hopefully I'll be able to afford a kiln of my own in the next year or so....

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-03-25, 4:13pm

Default Brave Women!

Good for you ladies...enjoying the great outdoors!
I think I'll join you this summer!
Sounds like it works really well for you, and might just be the answer to my need to melt things!
I've only been on this site for about a month and was starting to wonder if I should wait and come back in a few years after I had more practice under my belt!
Thank you for being so willing to share...you've given me some great encouragement and really workable ideas!

I'll keep my eye on the Garage Sale page!
Michelle

and
New items!

Old 2006-03-25, 7:34pm

Pssst....there were 2 hotheads over on "the other site" (wet canvas) in the glass swap shop for sale this morning

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-03-25, 7:40pm

Default Hee Hee...on my way...

I'll have to go check it out...I have heard of wet canvas, but haven't been there yet! Shhhh!

Thanks!
Michelle

and
New items!

Old 2006-03-26, 12:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond the Bead
Congratulations to all of you with Studios! I've been lurking here on occasion and drooling over what you are all building. Instead of commenting on each one, let me just say...

I'm Jealous...Green with Envy...and also very happy for each and every one of you that have the space to play!

Someday...

Luckily there are a few places in town that I can use, but it would be nice to not have to beg for a babysitter...sign up for time...pay studio fees...lose materials to people who 'pop in to see what you're doin'...

I do have to admit my hubby has been gracious about my jewlery design work and the beads that have invaded the living room. He is just against the stuff that could blow up our little home. AND WE CAN SHOW HIM THE SAFETY ASPECT OF LAMPWORKING, MY CURRENT STUDIO IS IN AN EXTRA BEDROOM.

Lots of warm thoughts and creative energy to you all!
Michelle
I'm in Springfield every month, want "to do" lunch? And there are a bunch of us here on the coast, K-oregon, ie Kaye and Dan, The Glass Hive, ie Deb and Mike Crowley, Jazzcurls, ie Patti Bowles, Beachbeads which is me, and more. Give us a hollor and spend a day at the coast, one of us always has a space to sleep to offer for visiting guest. Hubby and kids welcome. Bring him and we can show him all our studios, and the safety aspect, my current studio is in an extra beadroom!

Last edited by beachbeads; 2006-03-26 at 12:51am.
Old 2006-03-26, 9:19pm
still not Leslie

Location: Home the 2011 Worlds Series Champion St Louis Cardinals

I don't have a studio either! I wish I had a place like some of these in here, but I really like seeing my friends at the studio. I like the fact that I don't have to do anything but show up and start having fun. I love to see what other people have made and share ideas. This studio has everything you need. The plus is that its very close to where I work and I really need that some days! I was at Evenia's house and she has a great studio plus she can transform her 3 car garage into a studio! My dream would be to have a bread and breakfast type studio! Need to win powerball!!!
Old 2006-04-22, 2:13pm

I don't have a big studio eather,I have my set-up in my bedroom..small bud good anought for now and at the same time you can work little by little at your dream for a real studio

Old 2006-04-23, 9:39am
koregon

hey I live in Oregon, and July, Aug and Sept are all really dry....sometimes even most of June nad most of Oct...

I dont have a studio either...but I do have a garage, and we are set up in there.

I am very envious of all the nice studio's and talk to Dan often of how cool it would be...

he doesn't get the hint, so I will forever be working along one side in the garage to get my beads made.

but if your over in Eugene...you have a good three or four months of pretty dry weather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond the Bead
I appreciate the great suggestions!
I think I might try the "outside" suggestion this summer (we usually have a dry month in August...I'm in Oregon!)

I am so lucky to have such a wonderful and supportive husband...you should really see what I've done with the living room and all my jewelry making stuff! Luckily he is a big fan of safety, or I would have set the whole place on fire by now!

I think he would be more than willing to share some space in the garage with me (as long as the dogs don't mind...). Just a matter of time and finances to get it done - definitly not a lack of emotional support!

I've read a few posts from people that make it sound like they don't put their beads in a kiln right out of the flame... I was taught that they had to go in immediately... anyone want to elaborate???

Michelle

Old 2006-05-09, 9:38am

Default Just an update!

I'm really looking forward to meeting more of my fellow Oregonian Pyros!
I'll be looking you up when we come to the coast this summer! K-oregon, ie Kaye and Dan, The Glass Hive, ie Deb and Mike Crowley, Jazzcurls, ie Patti Bowles, Beachbeads, ie Sheila (I hope to see you on your next "In-land" trip!).

I've met up with Teague a few times and really enjoy hanging out with her! She is such a sweetie...I have to tell you all what she did! She gave me an hothead torch that she was no longer using! I'm so excited!
I've never worked on a hothead before, but can hardly wait to give it a try!

She also...she doesn't know this yet... "stirred the pot" at home!
When I brought the torch home, my husband did a then a !
but I know he saw how excited I was because he went out and got me a can of MAPP gas!

Then I caught him "online"... ... Looking at garden sheds!
We already have a garden shed!!!!!
The sweetie wants to build me a studio! I'm not sure how we will finance it (you know how that is!), but he always finds a way to do things for me! I'm going to try and find a "bead blanket" this weekend so I can try out the hothead torch!

I'll keep you all posted if we actually get started on a studio...but I'll have to change the title of my thread!!

Michelle

and
New items!

Last edited by Beyond the Bead; 2006-05-19 at 10:59pm. Reason: The studio dream is getting closer, keep reading!
Old 2006-05-12, 4:57pm

Oh what a sweetie you have there ... I have to add my husband is one of the most supportive and caring chaps there are (although I keep quiet about my glass purchases when they get excessive - lol). I was a lucky one and he built me a shed about 2 years ago00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000 (sorry cat typing!) ... It's a great space and all mine. Over the time I have just about everything i need in it and have already just about outgrown the space but I think that's it for now!

Three cheers for supportive spouses ... don't you love them (most of the time)?

Sadie

Old 2006-05-12, 11:21pm

Default Absolutely!

Sadie!
Glad to hear you have a wonderful and supportive guy too!
I really don't know what I would do without my darling and very creative husband! He is amazing!
There are times I look at him and just think...why are you still here? But apparently I am one of the luckiest people around, because he loves me as much as I love him!
We even "gross out the kids" still!
Hee hee!

I'll keep you posted on the studio if it progresses!
Michelle

Oh, and yes please...finish your website! The one bead on there is lovely, and I want to see more!

and
New items!

Last edited by Beyond the Bead; 2006-05-12 at 11:32pm.
Old 2006-05-14, 7:23pm

No studio here either, I am going to class within 2 month and I got to know that I can rent work table and tools in local glass house

Blog

Old 2006-05-15, 10:10am

Default Janette - welcome to the "no studio club"!

There are so many wonderful glass artists out there, I'm sure you will have no problem finding new friends that will help you have time at the torch!

I'm excited to hear you will be taking some classes soon, and have a place to rent studio time. Good for you! Enjoy!

I torched outside last night for the first time, and loved it! The kids got to watch (from a safe distance!). My husband made dinner while I got to melt glass! Granted it was "Mother's Day", so I don't expect that to happen every week, but it was wonderful!

Best wishes to you,
Michelle

and
New items!

Old 2006-05-15, 10:18am

Thanks Michelle!

I am excited and horrified about this class. I am excited because my dream will come true and horrified because I think that if I fail. But I have decided to start making glass beads too as it is my dream so I am sure that I will learn when I practise a lot. Then I can share more this hobby and passion with you. So, did you made beads? Wanna show me?

Big hugs to you!

Blog

Old 2006-05-15, 10:25am

Default Don't be scared!

Don't worry, you will be great! All it takes is passion, patience, and practice!

Don't be afraid of the flame or the glass, and just get in there and play with it. You will really love it!

I don't have much in the way of pictures, but you can check out my website. On the "artist bio" page, there is a part at the bottom that has a couple lampwork pictures from when I started last year. I have not been able to get my site updated for a long time, so it really needs work!

I looked at your site (beautiful!), looks like you already have a love for lampwork pieces! Are any of those artists close to where you live? You might get in touch with them and see if you can come watch them work or get some "tips" from them.

Keep in touch, I'd really love to hear how you are doing.
Michelle

and
New items!

Old 2006-05-15, 10:32am

Thanks again!
I love your website too...very nice layout!
Right now I don´t know any artists in Oulu (city where I live) but maybe that would change in 2 months. Yes, I am big lampwork lover and I want to start collecting them too (I also swap things). Would you like to keep in touch privately?

Janette

Blog

Old 2006-05-15, 10:35am

Default New friends are a blessing!

I'd love to keep in touch! All my contact info is in RAOGK or on my site. Feel free to email me anytime!
Michelle

and
New items!

Old 2006-05-16, 6:33am

Hi Michelle,
I too started out like you.Hubby kept saying no (cause of the blowing up the house). He too saw I was disappointed. So he finally decided to get me a shed out in the backyard. That was Feb .06 and we are slowly getting it fixed up for a studio. He still kinda grumbles about having to help. I'm doing most of the work (he is disabled). I think that is why he grumbles ,cause he hates he cann't do it for me. But I know he is behind me in this new art.
And we will get thru this too. I got a fireworks brand torch first. Never used it yet. And hubby had my daughter order for him a mini cc torch kit from Arrow Springs and a hood from other vendor, for my Mothers Day gift. Was I ever surprised!!!!
So there is hope. He supports me too in all I do, it just takes him longer.
Janet
Old 2006-05-16, 9:51am

Default Supportive Husbands ROCK!

Janet, I'm so happy for you! Congratulations on having "one of the good ones!".
I'm excited to hear about your studio progression. I know mine will take a long while too! I'm sort of putting the cart before the horse...I don't have the equipment yet, but will be trying to figure out how to finance that over the next 6 months or so!
I do have a hothead torch that was a gift from Teague (a very generous and wonderful LEC gal in my town!) and bought a bead blanket, but I want to get the chili pepper (or similar) kiln - hopefully soon! I figure the rest will come in time!
Where there is love and compassion there is always hope!
Plus it could be time to just invite some friends over for a "raise the barn" day, and provide a picnic BBQ (you are in Texas...right?).
Have fun and let me know how it goes!
Michelle

and
New items!

Old 2006-05-16, 3:02pm

Hi Michelle,
Yep, I"m in Tx alright. Don't know anyone around here to help raise a barn. Now the BBQ I could do. lol Listen if I come across anything you can use to help you along , I get in touch with you. Keep me posted I want to know how you are doing. You have a friend in Tx here too.
My building is barn shape, and on the inside of it we have sheetrocked the walls, but the ceiling we are using old picket fencing for the ceiling. I'm not able to hold sheetrock over my head and nail it. I can do alot of things but not that. so I am going the easy way . I think it will look great with the barn style.
I'll post pictures when I'm finished.
Janet
Old 2006-05-16, 3:02pm

Hi Michelle,
Yep, I"m in Tx alright. Don't know anyone around here to help raise a barn. Now the BBQ I could do. lol Listen if I come across anything you can use to help you along , I get in touch with you. Keep me posted I want to know how you are doing. You have a friend in Tx here too.
My building is barn shape, and on the inside of it we have sheetrocked the walls, but the ceiling we are using old picket fencing for the ceiling. I'm not able to hold sheetrock over my head and nail it. I can do alot of things but not that. so I am going the easy way . I think it will look great with the barn style.
I'll post pictures when I'm finished.
Janet
Old 2006-05-16, 3:05pm

Don't know why it posted twice. My computer is acting up. Sorry about that.

Janet