LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-27, 5:42pm

Robert Dancik is teaching at the Gathering this summer! I can't wait for his class. I have a faux bone ring idea, and was hoping he could explore it with us. I love those rings, and all this bolt talk makes me dizzy!! Jeri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2011-05-27, 8:22pm
Abbey Beads

I havent ever taken one of Roberts classes in person, but I've worked with him on some color exploration with the inks on faux bone. He is very responsive to email etc. I also listened to a class on craftcast about faux bone. Ive been playing with this stuff off and on for the last year. I was making some bracelets with faux bone flowers on them and then riviting a bead to the middle of the flower. They sold like hotcakes! I have another idea for making the ring shank base. My mom and i are going to play this weekend and see if it works better than what i have now.

The really cool thing about this stuff is that it is so moldable, and then hardens and keeps its shape well....I will post more when i get a chance to play...

Julie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-05-28, 8:04am

Julie - I can't wait to see where you go with this. I might not be able to wait until my class this summer to get some and fool around with it. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2011-05-28, 10:15pm
Flame On!

Just a quick heads up on the whole Ring Ding Sunset Blvd thing.... They have been popular in Europe for ages, seems to me America is always late in the "trend" department. I have had a mandrel and "bead nuts" for some time, I got them in Germany. My bff makes and sells a lot of them. The issue I see is clarity on exactly WHAT the ring tops will fit once made, unless you intend to stock and sell base products (rings, pendants) for your glass nut embedded cabs. The screw part comes standard in 2, 2.5 and 3mm, and lots of shady sellers on Ebay(Germany) all proclaim compatibility with the major brands, Ring Ding and Rico Designs by Sunset Blvd. Not True. It's like the Pandora Troll thing, only screw parts don't work that way, a size up doesn't make it fit. My nuts (lol) are small, 2mm, and fit my ring, and will not fit a .2.5 or 3mm ring base . I think what I am trying to get across here is that customers want to know it will fit their base product, and THEY must know the size, in mm, not the "brand", because most people don't have the real brand. The stainless steel ring bases go for about 9 Euros, whereas the big names for more like 35 Euros. Personally, I haven't put any of mine up on Etsy because I'm not sure what to do about any more confusion. If you go to Ebay Germany and search Ring Ding or Sunset Blvd rings, then pull up the listings, you will see. It will list the ring size, band width and screw size. I would really like a pendant, but I can't find one with a 2mm screw, and I am not buying another mandrel and nuts "cuz I'm already frustrated! The whole concept is marvelous, I just wish everything was ONE SIZE, there are even earring posts and leverbacks for these things to screw on(there again, size of nuts is critical, lol).

Old 2011-05-28, 10:25pm

Hi theglassattic, you're right, sizing is absolutely crucial - I've seen a few 'errant' 3mm ones, but when I did my research, as you say, Sunset Blvrd and Ring Ding are both 2.5mm, which is why I decided to match my designs to that one. I have to admit, I've not seen a 2mm one before - most people I know would consider it borderline (in stability) to actually take the wear and tear of swapping it over all the time. I would say that 2.5mm takes care of about 85% of the market, certainly here in Europe...if you've not got tons of tops to fit your ring yet, I would argue for making the switch to 2.5mm - depending on what mandrels you use so far, you might not need new ones - I spent over a year balancing my 2.5mm nuts on top of a 2mm mandrel, and only started using the threaded ones because my rose ring tops occasionally broke loose when I started crimping the petals.

I always assumed that they hadn't taken off in the US because of metric/imperial compatibilities, I don't know how easy it is to get 2.5mm nuts in the US? If I can help at all, let me know

(ring top mandrels, nuts, & beads *****
for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-05-28, 10:54pm
Flame On!

I feel bad about calling anyone "Shady", so I am retracting that statement. May be that they are as confused as I am about what their products will or won't fit and are not being intentionally misleading. When I got my ring, and my mandrel and nuts, both products claim to fit the big brands, but because I am not sure, I don't want to market them as such. And my nuts are short, they can be purchased in various heights, but I started with the short ones, so if someone has a taller post, they will need to use a disc, topper, a yet again extra part to fill the gap between the glass cab and the ring base. Anyway, this is my favorite top, and a picture of the back side and nut. .

Old 2011-05-28, 11:11pm
Flame On!

OOOOH! I just went to your website Sabine!!!!! You do have all the pieces parts!!!!!!! Sorry about the huge pics, I am still a photo and computer tard. Ok, I am getting a pendant, and if it will fit my nuts(geez, I giggle everytime I write that) I can make and sell my tops and link them to your site if they need a base. I just don't want to stock anymore stuff. Too much investment, what with sizes, metal choices, etc. I had thought about linking to the German site, but c'mon, it's in German. Not a problem for me cuz I can find the buy it now button in ANY language, lol, but not so good for my customers! I off to your site again ....Thank You!!!!

Old 2011-05-28, 11:36pm

Lol, no, you're right, I suppose wherever there is a big brand, there are cheap knock offs. The steel ones on my etsy *are* the Rico ones, I just don't call them that, because I worked ever so hard establishing my own 'brand' of sterling ones...

...but I think I can help with your thread length problem - you can get around that by working on your top - in the one shown above, some of the nut still shows - so you're not quite maximising on the 'grip' the nut can get, but also, the top will sit prone on all but the shortest of threads. If you cover the whole nut sides and then aim for a tiny pucker, you'll have more luck with longer shank sizes - I left the threads on my sterling rings slightly longer than the Sunset Blvrd, to allow for multiple discs, but I give out rubber rings to pack under the top, if need be - they also help with getting a heart ring top to point in the right direction, for example - does that help?

If you want to know whether your products fit, send me a PM with the maker's name, and I'll try and help - I have to say, they look like they could be 2.5mm to me, but of course it's hard to say

for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-05-28, 11:37pm

Lol, I took so long to write my reply, we overlapped Glad you found what you were looking for!

for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-05-28, 11:40pm
Flame On!

And I got a new mandrel and nuts! I was buggin' cuz my first set cost me WAY more, and I do mean WAY way more. So now I can make these and have a place to send people to get bases that fit!!! I am assuming that your nuts fit your bases, right? And ring ding and sunset blvd? See... I KNOW the minute I list one, that's what I will hear.... Oh, these are so lovely, but do they fit my sunset blvd ring? Oh well, I should be used to it. I could list a bead with a 10mm hole and someone will ask but will it fit my pandora???????

Old 2011-05-29, 12:03am
Flame On!

I know what you mean about covering the nut more. That was one of my first, and my mandrel has a disc,that you coat, then screw your nut to, and I didn't smoosh hard enough, and you can't see. I smoosh more now and don't have that exposed area. Thank you for your help! I haven't touched or thought about making ring tops for a few months because I was sour, but now I'm excited again!!!

Old 2011-05-29, 2:24am

Lol, yes, my nuts fit my rings - they're all listed on my etsy, too, in case people feel more comfortable with that

I love the word 'smoosh' Glad you're excited again, and can't wait to see more of your tops!

for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-05-29, 9:40am
Burning through glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
Lol, no, you're right, I suppose wherever there is a big brand, there are cheap knock offs. ....... you're right, sizing is absolutely crucial - I've seen a few 'errant' 3mm ones, but when I did my research, as you say, Sunset Blvrd and Ring Ding are both 2.5mm, which is why I decided to match my designs to that one. I have to admit, I've not seen a 2mm one before - most people I know would consider it borderline (in stability) to actually take the wear and tear of swapping it over all the time. I would say that 2.5mm takes care of about 85% of the market, certainly here in Europe...if you've not got tons of tops to fit your ring yet, I would argue for making the switch to 2.5mm - depending on what mandrels you use so far, you might not need new ones.

I always assumed that they hadn't taken off in the US because of metric/imperial compatibilities, I don't know how easy it is to get 2.5mm nuts in the US?
I totally agree Sabine!

and you're right.....different companies are now making their own line of changeable jewelry because it is a trend, and it's also an exciting concept. think I've discovered at least 3 different kinds of threaded rings that have trickled in since I started looking into this. YES, the "errant" 3mm is out there!

As far as "why" the system hasn't made it here to the US sooner, I think it just may be that Rico and Silberwerk are European companies and they don't market to the US. Rico is like the "Michael's Craft" of Europe ! I wonder though, it may have been different and taken off sooner if one of the larger US craft companies had their own line of changeable jewelry. But, there's nothing like it here. I'm importing the Rico rings and tools now because I love this concept for the artists, and that's why I've been working hard to get them here.

GlassAttic, I decided also to go with and supply the 2.5mm system after doing a fair bit of research too; testing this particular system since last year and mainly because there are so many design options to the artist and jewelry buyer alike, and you're right, the changeable concept has already been established in Europe; I'm not about to reinvent the wheel . When I have all my stock ready, I'll only carry the 2.5mm system and offer components I know to be completely compatible.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2011-05-29 at 11:36am.
Old 2011-06-06, 1:43pm
I need more boro stuff

What are the common ring sizes? I have quite small fingers. My ring finger is only size 6 so have no clue on other people.

Old 2011-06-06, 1:50pm

Size 6 (does Australia have the same ring sizes as the US?) is quite common, 6 1/2 slightly more common - tbh, anything between a size 6 and a size 10 seems to fall under 'going size' (I have very chubby fingers, so I'm a size 10-girl myelf, lol!)

for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-06-06, 2:09pm
I need more boro stuff

I have this ring sizer and mine says size 6.
http://www.sunsetcrystals.com.au/rin...tic-loops.html

The reason I asked because I made few size 6 glass rings and tried to sell them at market and most of them didn't fit for my customers

Old 2011-06-06, 10:25pm

I'm no expert, but I would say glass rings are wider, and therefore need to be larger to be comfortable...I suppose a size 8-ish would be a nice middle-path (I like sizes 8 and 9, because some can wear them on their ring fingers, others on their middle fingers)

for tuition (UK)

Last edited by sparrow; 2011-06-07 at 7:50am. Reason: Can't spell!!
Old 2011-06-06, 11:52pm
I need more boro stuff

Thanks Sabine

Old 2011-06-07, 4:04am
Hobby Junkie

Size 7 is also a good one. It will fit some people's ring finger and other's pinkie.

Old 2011-06-07, 7:01pm
Burning through glass

When I list my rings, they are specific to what the manufacturer says (since I'm selling the Rico made rings), sizing can be a tricky thing without seeing the product in hand but...I hope this will give you some reference:
US size 6 = 52mm inside circumference
size 7= 54mm
size 8 =56mm
size 9 = 60mm
Measure the inside dimension snugly of the finger you want to have a ring on to the nearest millimeter at it's widest point, it's helpful if you already have a ring you like to wear, but if you don't, measure the circumference your finger with something flexible, such as a strip of paper (I like to cut the strip sized to a snug fit and then tape it together and slip on and off to see if I was accurate). It's important that the strip is snug to your finger, and doesn't slide off so easily (this could mean the difference of one size or another!), then find that number above to find your size. I also recommend taking a couple of measurements; one in the morning and one in the evening to determine an average as fingers expand and contract during the day. Next, measure the length of the strip you cut. A ruler that has millimeter increments is best to use with my calculations above. Find the nearest measurement here to determine your approximate ring size. If you're in doubt between two sizes, it's a safe bet to go to the next larger ring size. Another consideration; the 8mm widths will feel a little snugger in fit than the 5mm, so if you're in a half size, the 8mm of the larger size will be, in my recommendation, the better fit (i.e. if you're a 7.5, the 8 in 8mm will feel snugger).
Hope that helps!

Custom Supplies:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2011-06-07 at 7:11pm.
Old 2011-06-07, 7:14pm
Burning through glass

btw, the tools are now here in house. I'm emailing the folks who contacted me first...the changeable rings page on our site should be live come this Friday!

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2011-06-17, 11:40am
Burning through glass

Hi everyone, if you've been trying to PM me, I apologize if it bounced because my box was full. I've cleared some space so if you have any questions at all about the tools, try your PM again.

You can get tools and other info now from my site: http://www.jetagestudio.com/changeables.html , and I have a variety of disk bases to choose from instead of just the 26mm size. A couple of sizes have just sold out though, but I have another shipment coming any day with those sizes, so they WILL be available again soon. Feel free to email me if you want a particular one reserved.

Some of you have already started playing with your tools....I can't wait to see what you come up with!!! I hope to see you post your lovelies

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2011-06-22, 6:12pm

Here is two that I have made. I see alot more of these in my future.
Old 2011-06-22, 6:45pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Those are gorgeous, Donna!

Now that I see that I can get more nuts I'll start playing with mine! I was afraid of running out.

Old 2011-06-22, 11:36pm

They're beautiful, Donna, they look edible

for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-06-23, 10:34am
Mr Brutus RIP

I got mine!! YAY and thank you Renee!! I made my first one last night, it was SO much fun but I was so neverous that I'd screw it up! LOL
I used some of the fired desires frit I got from her in her free give away so I'm going to post in there too! I really dont' know much how to use frit....(tips welcome) but I wanted a little more in the background. I like it alot!! AND, one of Renees murrini. Wow renee, I was worried I'd like burn the color out of it like the commercial ones I have from when I first started lampworking...........NOT, yours just kept looking great all the way to finished!! Awesome!
Ok, my ring......and yes, its for me
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-24, 11:04am
Burning through glass

YAY!!!! I'm so glad you guys are having fun with these top tools! They look awesome!!

Donna, those two are simply beautiful! I love that there's so much going on with them. Thank you for sharing them!

Sue, that was your first?! Incredible!! I'm doing a happy dance for you! and I'm so glad you like the murrini as well, that made my day .

Can't wait to see what else you guys come up with!!

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2011-06-24, 12:43pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

I got my supplies too (woohoo) and love the idea of the interchangeable tops.
Did my first ring top two days ago, here's the result:

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-06-24, 12:45pm

That's a beauty, Judith! And love yours too, glassymom!

for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-06-25, 7:13am
Mr Brutus RIP

Thanks Sabine!
Judith, I love your top! Love the pink lines through it too!