Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-12-02, 5:52pm
A Dragonfly's Journey....

I LOVE it!!

Facebook-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-12-03, 1:13am
Unmedicated since '62

I did mine like this and I love it

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-12-05, 2:07pm

There's an awesome pic of a storage thingy built from 2x4's that sits up against the wall, it is perfect for storing presses and frit. I used to have the link, but don't anymore. The plans were for a bathroom storage unit to be hidden behind a door, I believe. I'll go see if I can find it. Great idea and is perfect! Easy to build, too.

Old 2011-12-05, 3:38pm
da General

I always love seeing everyone's glass storage! We live in earthquake country thus the open-shelves system doesn't work. Combined that with my not liking dusty glass, we choose to store ours in two giant metal flat files. These drawers are about 48"x36" and most of the glass rods are stored in two rows in each drawer to maximize the capacity.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-12-05, 3:55pm
Loving learning

My glass collection is much more modest than most of these pictures, and I have pvc cut to about 11" in a repurposed wine rack holder, without the wine holder (essentially just a wooden box about 15-17" wide, cabinet level high from a friend's kitchen remodel, with a shelf halfway down. It holds up one end of the door that is my work surface. I do wish it was closed in, and someday I may make a canvas or other material "curtain" that I can put over it when I'm not working to help with the dust.
Old 2011-12-05, 8:10pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Oh my Hayley ..... Me likee that storage ....! Hmmmmmm, I wonder how many birthdays and Christmases would cover one of those units, I'd need at least 2 to start!!
Old 2011-12-06, 9:21am

I saw Hayley's flat file storage setup a couple of years ago and lusted after it! So, I made it happen in my studio. I trolled Craigslist for flat files for several months and ultimately ended up with two 24"x36" ones, 5 drawers each, total of $150 out the door. I have them sorted by basic colors, one with reactive glass, one with silver glass, and one with my hoarded glass (the rare stuff).

Right now I still have everything rubber banded, but at some point will add dividers. Hayley, did you make your dividers, or did you adapt something else?

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2011-12-06, 10:42am
A Dragonfly's Journey....

Wonderful! We're still trying to figure out what to do! All these ideas and pictures are wonderful We're hoping to have it more figured out soon, but most likely after christmas, since we have more and more glass coming in until then Merry christmas to us! And Happy holidays to all of you as well!!
-Kadie

Facebook-
Old 2011-12-07, 5:49pm

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76849

This is the storage I referred to, sorry, not for glass, but a good idea. 3rd photo. I believe she also gave the info on how to build it.

Old 2012-04-05, 7:47pm
flight risk

OK, so I started cutting PVC and organizing my glass tonight. I'm done with the purples, greens and blues, sorted by shade and transparency. But then I had a (crippling) thought- WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I ORDER MORE GLASS? Do I rearrange everything so the colors fit in their proper place in the spectrum, or just throw them in slots on the top???

(I'm halfway serious here. What do you do when your rods are all organized, but then you have to add something new?)

Old 2012-04-05, 7:59pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

I have left a few spaces when I know there are several numbers that I don't have and probably will want. When it is something brand new, I have left a space on the top row and put it as close as I can to where it should be. Clear as mud?
But I also have my glass sorted by number and by brand and trans and opaqs.
Old 2012-04-05, 8:03pm
Loving learning

I've had to double up a lot of colors because my area to hold the tubes isn't very big. I keep mulling over where I could put a larger cabinet for more PVC though.
When I get new colors I try to put them in the right color range, and sometimes I have to move glass, but it isn't that hard.
Old 2012-04-06, 3:31am
Unmedicated since '62

I've got mine divided into colour sections with free space in every section (except the one for neutrals) but I can see me needing more storage sooner or later

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-04-06, 9:09am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane (clarus) View Post
I saw Hayley's flat file storage setup a couple of years ago and lusted after it! So, I made it happen in my studio. I trolled Craigslist for flat files for several months and ultimately ended up with two 24"x36" ones, 5 drawers each, total of $150 out the door. I have them sorted by basic colors, one with reactive glass, one with silver glass, and one with my hoarded glass (the rare stuff).

Right now I still have everything rubber banded, but at some point will add dividers. Hayley, did you make your dividers, or did you adapt something else?

-Diane
Oops! Sorry, Diane, obviously I never came back to this thread!

I use these as dividers:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/k...10000149&N=183

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-04-06, 9:46am
Curmudgeon Engineering

If you use the square downspout pvc 'tubes' as I do you can make dividers from cardboard or plastic by cutting strips that are as long as the tubes but as wide as the diagonal of the tube. Just slide it into the tube and you have two wedge shaped holes.
PJH
Old 2012-04-09, 9:42am

Default The Ultimate Glass Storage Solution!

Yoh can get a Super Duper Rod Pod!! Made from White birch and holds 144 lbs of glass! WHOOP WHOOP!!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/97074992...-only-lampwork

Last edited by beatlebaby; 2012-04-09 at 9:44am. Reason: added pics
Old 2013-01-07, 3:59pm

Default My Glass Storage

My DB built for me custom boxes to frame in two different sizes of PVC Pipe. I use 1" diameter PVC for purchased stringers or smaller bundles of glass and 1 1/4" PVC for my regular 104 glass rods. I cut the PVC down to 12" lengths and sanded down the ends & of course dusted them out. I can store quite a lot of glass for now. And it only cost me about $40 for everything. This is a start for me. It does help to keep me organized. I purchased a label maker to make sure my rods are and stay labeled; especially while I am so new at this.

~
~
~
~

Last edited by julieann1674; 2013-01-08 at 10:55am. Reason: Spelling
Old 2013-01-08, 8:53am
Somewhat out there!

Very nice. It looks compact and convienent. Lucky you.

Julianne
Old 2013-01-08, 10:38am
Chief Creative Goddess

Julie--
Do you use that pencil sharpener in photo 2 on your glass???!!! JK! Nice set up!

Old 2013-01-08, 10:54am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Mae View Post
Julie--
Do you use that pencil sharpener in photo 2 on your glass???!!! JK! Nice set up!
LOL! I didn't even notice that old pencil sharpener, that's an antique!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-01-08, 12:32pm

My glass storage. The shelves are bolted to the wall

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2013-01-08, 12:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post
My glass storage. The shelves are bolted to the wall

Hi Heather,

That is a lot of glass! Fun, fun! Never enough. PS, I just PM'd you in regards to an old tutorial that I read last night of yours. I had a question.....

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-03-17, 2:26pm
Pincel de Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Mae View Post
Julie--
Lolololololol

/
/
Old 2013-03-17, 4:13pm

Growing....and growing.....Pencil Sharpener is still there!

Before....

and After...(so far)...it's full as of today; lol

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-03-17, 4:38pm
Pincel de Fuego

I'm seriously jealous of y'all's (wow) glass stashes!!!

/
/
Old 2013-03-17, 4:41pm
Pincel de Fuego

This is like, all I have: Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363563597.870802.jpg
Views: 3372
Size:  54.5 KB

/
/
Old 2013-03-21, 10:02am

Some very nice solutions here.
Thanks for the inspiration everybody.
Old 2013-03-27, 5:15pm

This is my glass storage right after it was built.....of course it is completely full now. In fact I could use another one.
Attached Images

Old 2013-03-27, 5:20pm
Pincel de Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledragonfly View Post
This is my glass storage right after it was built.....of course it is completely full now. In fact I could use another one.
I love it. Did you design it?

/
/
Old 2013-03-28, 8:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegrafuct View Post
I love it. Did you design it?
DH designed and built it. its on wheels so it can be moved right up to my torch area and then out of the way when not needed.