TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-01-28, 10:11am

Mary - Looks good. Who did the tiling on the workbench? Must have been as skilled as the drywall guy - and didn't require a monster truck!!
Old 2008-01-28, 4:04pm

What a great studio. I am green with envy.

I love this part of the forum having a look at everyones studios.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-04, 8:05am
Pick It Up!!!

I love the design behind this. Nice and simple but very awesome. If you don't mind, could you either post or message me how much that cost around?? I am interested in having a studio outside of my house and want something around this line. Thank you!
Old 2008-02-04, 11:00am

Wink

Lovely studio, Mary K!! Put a cot and a bathroom in it and I'll move in tomorrrow! Oh, and you can tell the hansome fellow in the white shirt, he can come and redo my studio annnny time.....

Ofilia

Old 2008-02-04, 8:50pm

Congratulations! What a great set up! Your family will miss you!

Old 2008-02-15, 9:14pm
why hello

Hats off ! I've been researching proper ventilation and I have to say yours looks pretty darn nice! I can't wait to post pics of mine...soon... thanks for the inspiration!

Old 2008-02-17, 1:08pm
Anyone need some spacers?

What a nice space, and it is lanscaped so well!

Old 2008-02-17, 8:26pm
fire is goooooood

That is a dream come true. I've often fantasized about being out in a little place like that ... all to myself.. sorta on an island of creativity! You Have a Really great place to create!! I love it!

Payton Jett
Old 2008-02-18, 2:40pm

Great job on the studio!! I laughed when I saw your clock! I used to be a petsitter and a client gave me the same one. Each hour a different dog barks and my yorkie goes crazy!!
Mary T.

Old 2008-07-20, 5:50pm
FireSculptedCouture.com

Hi Mary K

I have to tell you that your studio has given me some really great ideas (its so nicely done!) ... I love your ventilation system - I did not read anywhere about the hood... did you have that made or did you purchase it?

Thanks for sharing...

site is not yet available

Old 2008-07-21, 8:00pm
Flamewoman

Hi Rachelle,
Thanks for the kind words, mainly the reason I posted my studio was so people could get ideas for ventilation, which I think is so important. The hood is 30 by 30 and 24 inches tall tapering to 10 inches. We had the local HVAC shop make it for us, it cost around $140 or so I think. Any sheet metal place can make this. It sits 24 inches from the bench top, has an 804 granger blower and works great. I have 4 ducts for make up air, one is just under the bench, I don't use it all the time, and the other 3 duct to the benchtop at the back. That way I don't loose my cooling or heating, and it does not interfer with the flame. My DH did a great job figuring all this out! We also had a lot of help from LE ventilation information (Dale) and others who posted their studio set up.
Regards,
Mary K

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-07-21, 8:25pm
FireSculptedCouture.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Hi Rachelle,
Thanks for the kind words, mainly the reason I posted my studio was so people could get ideas for ventilation, which I think is so important. The hood is 30 by 30 and 24 inches tall tapering to 10 inches. We had the local HVAC shop make it for us, it cost around $140 or so I think. Any sheet metal place can make this. It sits 24 inches from the bench top, has an 804 granger blower and works great. I have 4 ducts for make up air, one is just under the bench, I don't use it all the time, and the other 3 duct to the benchtop at the back. That way I don't loose my cooling or heating, and it does not interfer with the flame. My DH did a great job figuring all this out! We also had a lot of help from LE ventilation information (Dale) and others who posted their studio set up.
Regards,
Mary K
Hi Mary K ~ I want to extend a HUGE THANKS for all of the info you have provided on your set up... Its better to show my hubby the photos as your setup is just my style... I am going to have him do something very similar, although I am considering two torches along the short wall and am researching this currently.

I really love the make up air vents, it looks so nice. The tile is especially nice too!

Is there anything (if you could do differently) would you?

I will post photos of our progress soon ~ currently there are three walls and maybe the last tomorrow!

THANKS AGAIN Mary K! You Rock

Old 2008-07-22, 6:53am
Flamewoman

Hello Rachelle~ If I had it do do again, I would have put in a bigger air conditioner, the one we have is a 5,000 btu and an 8 or 10 btu would have been better. It's hard to overcome the kiln and the heat put out by the oxycon and torch. On really hot days I can only torch until 2pm, then it just gets too hot, so I start as early as I can.
The tile is from home depot and was very inexpensive. The charcoal tile behind the torch was a little more, but I only needed 4. The tile works great, hot glass does not faze it.
I can also vouch for the click lock laminate flooring, I have dropped molten glass on it and it does not burn. ( of course I picked it up as fast as I could) It was very easy to install, anyone could do it.
Now, if you do 2 torches on one wall, (is your studio 10 by 12?) You will have to double the ventilation. I have 3 incoming replacement vents that are 8 inch and that is all you need for one vent hood, you would need 3 more or the equivelant for a second torch. The 4th vent is a 6 inch and it was not neccesary, so I guess I would have skipped that too.For 2 torches you would need either 2 hoods or one bigger one that would cover the whole wall practically, and whoa, what a blower you would need for that. We put the granger fan outside in its own housing, and it really helps cut down on the noise, which there is plenty of with the rest of my equipment ( oxycon ).
Do two people want to work at one time, or do you have 2 torches? If 2 people want to work together, heat may be an issue in summer, but if it's just you, and you have 2 torches, I'd swap them out, when you want to.
Can't wait to see your pictures.
Regards,
Mary

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-07-22, 9:40pm
FireSculptedCouture.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Hello Rachelle~ If I had it do do again, I would have put in a bigger air conditioner, the one we have is a 5,000 btu and an 8 or 10 btu would have been better. It's hard to overcome the kiln and the heat put out by the oxycon and torch. On really hot days I can only torch until 2pm, then it just gets too hot, so I start as early as I can.
The tile is from home depot and was very inexpensive. The charcoal tile behind the torch was a little more, but I only needed 4. The tile works great, hot glass does not faze it.
I can also vouch for the click lock laminate flooring, I have dropped molten glass on it and it does not burn. ( of course I picked it up as fast as I could) It was very easy to install, anyone could do it.
Now, if you do 2 torches on one wall, (is your studio 10 by 12?) You will have to double the ventilation. I have 3 incoming replacement vents that are 8 inch and that is all you need for one vent hood, you would need 3 more or the equivelant for a second torch. The 4th vent is a 6 inch and it was not neccesary, so I guess I would have skipped that too.For 2 torches you would need either 2 hoods or one bigger one that would cover the whole wall practically, and whoa, what a blower you would need for that. We put the granger fan outside in its own housing, and it really helps cut down on the noise, which there is plenty of with the rest of my equipment ( oxycon ).
Do two people want to work at one time, or do you have 2 torches? If 2 people want to work together, heat may be an issue in summer, but if it's just you, and you have 2 torches, I'd swap them out, when you want to.
Can't wait to see your pictures.
Regards,
Mary
Hi Mary & peeps!

Well the good news for today is I got my 4th wall up... and got a "killer" deal on a really, really nice glass panel door at home depot for only $200. Hubby has been working really hard and it is slowly coming together. Windows should be in this weekend, and I think we are going to start on the roof too.

I think what I am going to do is only have set up for one torch (its only me torching...) and make it a bit more powerful than I need (for when I decide to give boro a try...) So it will be similar to what you have. I am also a soap maker, so the other side will have counters to make my soaping goodies on, and curing racks on the 16 foot side... Oh, its 10x16 with the door on a 16ft side in the middle.

I LOVE how you tiled your work top and think I will do the same. We are still questioning flooring - tile vs. laminate. Not sure what would be better... and am leaning towards tile, but DO love the look of laminate. We are going to side it with concrete siding boards ~ which my mom just put in her house and it looks really nice, and is really reasonable compared to vinyl.

Its funny ~ I gandered at my current set up (all dusty and cob-webby) and I really don't have a lot of stuff... compared to the soaping stuff. I will just be happy to have all my crafts in one spot. I will charge the batteries in my camera and take some photos of the progress...

Cheers!

Old 2008-07-23, 7:48pm
I wanna go back...

Rachelle, I do hope you post photos as you go along. I'd love to follow your progress!

Mary, awesome studio! Thanks for letting us see all you have done! It's a real inspiration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andrea: A newbie with a HotHead, bulk MAPP and a Chili Pepper.
Old 2008-07-24, 12:30am
FireSculptedCouture.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw View Post
Rachelle, I do hope you post photos as you go along. I'd love to follow your progress!

Mary, awesome studio! Thanks for letting us see all you have done! It's a real inspiration.
Really, I didn't mean to hijack Mary K's post... just so happy she is so nice to share and let me "copy" her! LOL.

ps... my pretty door went in today... photos today, too! I will find my post and list them there.

toodles!

Old 2008-07-24, 10:01am
Resident hippie

Oh so lovely - heaven indeed.
Many happy healthy fun filled hours of beading I wish you.

Beadanna
Old 2008-07-24, 10:07am

oh i'm so jealous!! it's awsome!

Old 2008-07-24, 4:15pm
Mr. Cellophane

Wow such a beautiful space. You are one lucky girl.

Libby

Old 2008-07-25, 12:32pm

What a wonderful space to create!! I laughed when I saw your dog clock! I have that same one and everytime it barks so does my yorkie!!
Mary T.

Old 2008-08-02, 11:15am

Wow! Thank you for sharing your new studio. I'm sure you are so proud of it. Enjoy!!

Minor
Old 2008-08-05, 4:33pm

where did you get your arm rests?? nice studio !!

chelle...
bead junkie
Old 2008-08-05, 5:07pm
Macaw Mamma

Very Very nice!

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2008-08-05, 5:36pm
Flamewoman

The arm rests are called " the Creation Station" and you can get them from most any distributor of lampworking supplies. I got mine from my local glass shop, but I've seen them lots of places. I couldn't do without it for things like dots and florals, they keep your hands steady.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-01-30, 7:17pm
Flamewoman

Bump.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-01-30, 8:26pm

That is simply awesome! Thank you for sharing.

Old 2010-01-30, 8:31pm
Never give up

Love your studio,nice job. I can only dream of a nice studio. My husband alreay took the shed. So I get the garage. Cold , dirty and everyone , running everywhere. Oh well maybe one day. Oh by the way is there a lock on the studio??
Old 2010-01-31, 12:49am
Favorite color is shiny

Wow!! I love it!! I'm several steps behind you but just looking at your finished studio gives me hope.... It's just GREAT!!

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2010-01-31, 12:47pm
Flamewoman

Default Updated pictures

Here are some recent ( like today ) pictures of my little paradise.
I don't get out there nearly enough these days, as I'm raising a
new little puppy boy. All things in time, I'll get out there soon enough.
I am really enjoying my puppy.
Love my Regalia and Lynx!
sea turtles of the world poster
glass holder from ABR love it
mermaid mirror from sister Barb
cases of clear boro and soft glass
boro
frit
sea turtle sign, it's metal!
oil painting I did, it's pretty.
sea theme
I love my studio.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-01-31, 3:32pm

Lovely!