LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-07-09, 6:34pm

I have been following your old fashioned studio raisin' for a while now. I am very excited to see the progress on your studio. Thanks for posting updates, I know everyone reading your thread will be hoping for the best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-07-09, 8:56pm

Your studio is beautiful! I will say prayers for your friend. Sounds like she is on the mend, but one can never have too many prayers.

My husband has been off all week working on my little studio. I hope to be able to post pics soon. It's all so exciting.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-07-23, 10:16am

I've been working in my studio for about a week now and I'm having a blast; I also managed to mess up the workbench real good.

The only ventilation has been a box fan in the window and an open door, but that’s about to change! I have all of the materials I need to install a funnel ventilation system; at least I hope I do! Any guesses as to how many times I go back to the hardware store before it's all done?

Here's my mess!

Old 2008-07-25, 2:57pm

Yah!! That is nice and messy, shows you know what you are doing, and lots of it, by the looks of things. I just love the pictures of your new studio.

Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[
Old 2008-07-25, 4:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedancer View Post
Yah!! That is nice and messy, shows you know what you are doing, and lots of it, by the looks of things. I just love the pictures of your new studio.
well I'm not so sure that I know what I'm doing, if the beads coming out of the kiln are any indication I have a way's to go before I do, but it's a journey that I'm going to enjoy taking!

The ventilation system is in and appears to be working great! Here is a link to the specs for this system: http://www.southernflames.org/Tips%2...entilation.htm

It was quick and easy to install, with only 1 return trip to the hardware store! As you can see the ducting is coming through the window, we may put it through the wall in front of the torch in the future, but for now this seems to work well.

This is the smoke test...

Old 2008-07-25, 6:22pm
In spite of it all!

Maggie... try the smoke test from the back of your seat or at least where the back of your head will be. That is where you will need the "smoke test" to work the most. Fumes from metals are heavier then much of the smoke that comes from wood or paper products.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2008-07-25, 6:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetchikanSculptor View Post
Maggie... try the smoke test from the back of your seat or at least where the back of your head will be. That is where you will need the "smoke test" to work the most. Fumes from metals are heavier then much of the smoke that comes from wood or paper products.
Hi Ruth, I was just thinking about you!
I did try it from all angles, where I sit, etc., and the smoke gets sucked right into the funnel, so I think it's gonna work.
Thanks for the tip!

Old 2008-07-26, 12:55am
In spite of it all!

Hey, you have my phone number still... right?

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2008-10-15, 6:33pm

It has been awhile since I updated this thread so I thought I would share the latest studio pictures.

I finally painted the outside (barn red), it looks like a little red school house. The only thing left to do is have gutters installed and seal up the window around the ventilation system. I think I’m ready for the long dark NW Winter!

I really love my studio space and have been having a wonderful time playing at the torch!
Attached Images

Old 2008-10-15, 6:48pm
In spite of it all!

Maggie! Look at your SWEET studio place! Now that I am moved I need to take a trip out your way.

Hugs!

Ruth

Old 2008-10-15, 6:59pm

Thanks Ruth! (when did you move...where did you move??? email me the details!)

I have to tell you that I absolutely LOVE the mother marver, it's a brilliant design and I can't imagine torching without it! Ya done good girlfriend!

If you dont what that is it's the big marver in this photo.
Attached Images

Last edited by Elleth; 2008-10-15 at 7:37pm.
Old 2008-10-16, 6:58am
Mr. Cellophane

Maggie such a beautiful place! I am so jealous.

Libby

Old 2008-10-17, 11:45am
Spoiled

with envy!!!

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2008-10-19, 1:47pm

Beautiful !

Old 2008-10-22, 1:22pm
boro rules all

I heard you wanted to just give your whole studio to me? did any one else hear that?

I am jealous of that set-up you've got there, nice work! you wouldn't happen to have another one of those little studios laying around would ya?

national 8m on an oxygen concentrator
Old 2008-10-22, 2:14pm
In spite of it all!

Hey Maggie! I went to shoot ya an email and it came back. Wonder what that is about??? Maybe some ISP someplace between Yahoo and your server? Who knows! lol

Try sending me one? I need your new phone number too!

Oh, by the way..... THANK YOU for the wonderful compliment!

Old 2008-10-22, 3:06pm
Fancy Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleth View Post
I will probably spend more time there then the "house"
That was exactly my thought - moving into the studio! It is so picturesque!
Old 2008-10-23, 7:43am
yukue fumei

WOW--I wanna live there!!!
Looks like paradise!!
thanks for the pics--so inspiring!

nagi

Old 2008-10-23, 7:21pm

It's a dream come true! WTG ♥

Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.

Old 2008-10-24, 7:01pm

Awesome studio. I really enjoyed this post, fun to see it come to life! Congratulations!

Old 2008-10-25, 6:29am
szglassy

What is the piece of metal called with the hole in it?
The piece that is attached in the window where your flex tube comes out of?
Where did you get it?

Thanks!
Old 2008-10-25, 9:13am

Thanks for the compliments everyone, it really is a sweet spot for a studio and a dream come true!

The next dream is to build the house, once that's done I am hoping to host lampworking retreats here, but that's a few years down the road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by szglassy View Post
What is the piece of metal called with the hole in it?
The piece that is attached in the window where your flex tube comes out of?
Where did you get it?

Thanks!
I am not sure what that piece is called, if you go to the home depot and root round in the heating /venting isle you should be able to find that part, that's where I found it.

Old 2008-10-25, 12:37pm
Just me

Wow Maggie,
Your studio turned out awesome. It's beautiful inside and out, well done. All your hard work really paid off, it's lovely. I love the deck and the flowers on the side yard too.

Old 2008-10-25, 2:07pm

That is fantastic. I can imagine having a glass of wine on the deck after torching all day. Sweet!!!

and also ......
Old 2008-10-27, 4:30am
Elphaba Lives !!

SWEET !!!!

That is awesome !! Beautiful building with a beautiful view. I love the red, and you are right, it looks like a little red schoolhouse. You look really well organized on the inside too.

Enjoy !!!!!!

Old 2008-10-28, 5:22pm

Wow, just wow. What a lovely place.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-10-28, 7:01pm

Wow Maggie - it has turned out beautiful! Great job!
Jenny

Old 2008-10-29, 2:19pm
szglassy

Thanks Maggie!

I'm actually going to the havac store tomorrow to pick up my 8in flex tube.
Have the same fan but mounted in an old hole in the wall with louvers facing outside.Name:  myfan1.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  25.0 KB

just need that metal piece with the hole in it....I'm sure it has a name!
Old 2008-11-05, 9:00pm
St.Onge Art Glass

Wow! Awesome studio and incredible view!! What a great job. So when is your first lampwork retreat??? I'll come! Always wanted to visit the NW.

I think that thing on the end of your vent system may be called a reducer. It's real purpose is to make a connection between two different sized pipes. It looks like yours is made to connect a 12" pipe to an 8" pipe. You can get them in several different sizes though Home Depot doesn't always have a wide range in stock. If you need a specific size you can order one online -- search for "duct supplies" or pm me and I'll give you the name of the place I used. Don't know if you're supposed to mention stuff like that in posts....??