No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-04-25, 5:02pm
Detail G-Mama!

OMG! Look at all that glass!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-04-25, 5:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
And the second to soothe Rob, because my glass rack is organized, at least.
LOL. I was thinking "at least the glass rack is organized, but no dust cover its all gonna get dirty.". Then I saw why you posted that pic.
Old 2008-04-25, 5:11pm

Me = glass ho. And I'm USING what I have before I buy more... Or, the plan is to have to actually run low on a color before I order. White or black will go first...

Rob, I moved my washcloth out of the picture, but I wipe down every rod before I start using it from there... And if they feel the least bit grimy, I go wash them.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-04-25, 5:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
Me = glass ho. And I'm USING what I have before I buy more... Or, the plan is to have to actually run low on a color before I order. White or black will go first...

Rob, I moved my washcloth out of the picture, but I wipe down every rod before I start using it from there... And if they feel the least bit grimy, I go wash them.
I cover mine so I don't have to keep running over to wash them. I'd rather have a clear shower curtain I have to take off of each side of the rack then have to keep going up to run the dish washer.

then I still wipe off every rod with alcohol.

pretty colors.
Old 2008-04-25, 5:20pm

The bathroom is the next room over, so I just go over and wash it in the sink with hot hot water. If I'm going to be encasing, I prewash a dozen or so clear stringers, and still wipe them down... Haven't used alcohol at all.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2008-04-25, 5:55pm
Smooches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
If its not as clean as can be before I start I have to clean it. I need every stringer labeled and put away where it belongs. If a stringer isn't labeled I won't use it and it gets crushed and mixed into the "mixed color" frit blend (which is always changing) My labels need to say company, color number, color name, date bought. stringers have to have date they were pulled on them. shorts need to have the labels cleaned off and be melted onto another rod of the same batch. These are just some of my personal needs. If frit or powder spills, while I am working I feel the need to stop and clean up the mess before I can do anything else.

Rob.
Ok, well I'm not this neat & tidy (can we say OCD Rob? jk) -
But I clean, put away all glass & stringers, and use the shop vac to totally vacuum my table up after every torch session. Yes, I said EVERY torch session!

If I don't, my cats will bring up partial rods of glass from the basement, bat them around on the floor & play with them! So I had to learn to keep it clean if I'm not torching at the moment!

Sometimes, if I've made a real mess, I'll stop torching for a minute & tidy up. I likes it neat!

Miss Kate

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-04-25, 6:43pm

well I am working almost completely in boro and it has entirely to many colors that in the rod look clear, black or yellow. Its just safer with boro to have EVERYTHING labeled. as for being really careful about cleaning how many bits of glass do you like in your body? me the answer is none.
Old 2008-05-03, 10:41pm

my bench is pretty wiped out by the end of the day, but when I return I straighten everything up. a good cleaning and dusting, organizing then start over. I like having things in there place. I carry that practices over into my woodworking as well. it is a nice environment to work in , doesn't take much time if your religious about it and speaks well for me if clients drop by unexpectedly.
one view of one room is my wood shop and it is cleaned daily, 4 other rooms not shown but spotless

and my torch bench. I have improved it a lot since this picture, but thats how I start my day before turning on the torch. I also brush the face and lightly clean the ports on the torch daily

My wife thinks I'm anal

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.

Last edited by murf; 2008-05-03 at 11:06pm.
Old 2008-05-04, 5:17am
phrit phreak

I'm sitting on Anne and Gelly's couch! Gelly I spotted your tools right off the bat. If they would've been sitting there all organized I wouldn't have...lol

Last edited by LoriBird; 2008-05-04 at 5:47am.
Old 2008-05-04, 5:25am
Detail G-Mama!

Lori! Murf my hubby would like me to be more like you!!! Just aint gonna happen!!

Old 2008-05-04, 5:31am

I have a sign at the front of my studio that says “Pig Pen” made by a friendly neighbour. My husband presented me with a sign last week that says “Dull women have immaculate workshops”. Pride makes me tidy up when I know someone is coming to the workshop.

I have this dream of what I call a “Horizontal table compactor”. That’s 6 to 12 table tops that can be stacked away with the gear still on them. Like huge drawers I suppose, and at the push of a button you can select another surface to come forward as your next work bench. I’m sure too much tidying means too little bead making.
Bev.B
Attached Images

Old 2008-05-04, 7:18pm
Favorite color is shiny

okay, i have to ask, i've stood it as long as possible. What is the little white tubular containers that everyone has holding stringers? Forgive the silly question but i'm a newbie and it's all brand new business to me....grin*

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2008-05-04, 7:22pm
Detail G-Mama!

Not a silly question at all!!! They are ice cube trays to make icecubes for thermos bottles or bottled water bottles.

Old 2008-05-04, 7:25pm
Favorite color is shiny

see? i thought so but haven't been able to find them.. i have to admit i haven't searched high and low or ebay or target either for that matter. okay, thanks Ann, I'll be able to sleep tonight....huge grin* appreciate such a quick reply.

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2008-05-04, 7:27pm
Favorite color is shiny

UGH... found them on ebay...duh!

---> LE
Old 2008-05-04, 8:08pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

My gets so dirty so fast. But I clean it up for the Last Friday Artwalk each month, I'm afraid someone will get hurt otherwise.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-05-04, 8:35pm
Eight Miles Wide

I clean mine off every couple of months. It is spotless right now, because we just had a WMI glass gathering at my place.

Old 2008-05-04, 9:07pm

super cool picture Bev
you know i was thinking about making a studio just for my glass, probably a tough shed style building but the problem is I would have to double it as my sons hang out place or for visitors that stay with us from out of town. so you modern push a button drawer idea isnt half bad. I was thinking of setting up my torch like the old singer sew machines, flip it open when you need to work, flip it back down when you want it safe and out of the way type thing, all concealed in a nice built in cabinet.

Anne ,
my wife gives me plenty of grief over it but all in fun of course.today I was plotting out the garden, she walks out and yells please no the ball of string. I look up and wave my ball of string. going to be a lovely lay out of a garden and till it is in full bloom, I will love the straight lines and perfect triangulations of the seedlings, plus the ease of tilling. I think she knows me inside out. no teaching this old dog new tricks on proven past experiences.

------------------------
Old 2008-05-04, 9:30pm

I'm going to have to join Rob in the anal category. I'm a compulsive organizer and I have to have every thing lined up in a certain order. If my work area is untidy, I can't work......and well I start to hyperventilate. I only pull out the rods of glass I am using for that particular set, lined up in order I will be using the glass. Stringers the same way. I vacuum after I'm finished and dust (with an air compressor). I've tried to throw caution to the wind and leave stringers or tools out....I really have....but I just can't do it.

Hi my name is Terri and I have a problem.
Old 2008-05-04, 10:09pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Bev: that pic is really cute!!!

Wow, I can't believe Rob and Murf! I would give anything to have a man who could actually find a garbage can!

I realize my whole problem is that I am not organized.

Sara (the glass slob)

Old 2008-05-05, 9:11am
Detail G-Mama!

Organization is not in my vocab either! I actually have gotten a lot better since I was younger!

Old 2008-05-05, 9:22am

I tried cleaning it off and froze - it's easier to just grab at whatever's right in front of me...

I did work off of just what was on my worm surface for a week solid, and came out with an amazing variety of colors... Who knew that was all hiding there???

~:
~:

~:

Old 2008-05-05, 10:17am
Borovangelist

Here's my clutter

Bench:

Glass storage (I'm working on it, really!). The bottom row of downspout is 104, there's one cubby of BE rod/stringer/noodle. The rest is all boro. The two long cardboard boxes on the left are boro clear:

My frit experiment station:

My favorite new gadget. I have my lights and fan plugged into this:

|
|
Old 2008-05-05, 8:25pm

so my questions to those that have clutter is.....
stingers, how do you stop them from breaking into thousands of little pieces? I would also think that rather having one rod out of a certain color than you might have two or three rods of that color out and under something else? also are you a stickler in making sure the fine needle point on your rods are melted back blunt or do you stab your self a lot.

I don't make stringers. I make what is needed for that session and so no storage needed, I also make a point to remove the needle point off any any rods before I lay them down primarily to remove any possible bubbles that may have formed and for safely I guess

------------------------

Last edited by murf; 2008-05-05 at 8:27pm.
Old 2008-05-06, 2:45am
phrit phreak

I was a lot more organized when I was younger...BC..before children. My bench would've been pristine in my 20's.
I melt all the points of my glass down. Only took getting poked a couple of times...@@

Old 2008-05-06, 4:15am

i'm with mopnglo terri! my work space has to be pristine before i can even think of working and when i am finished, everything is dusted, vacuumed and clean. i too lay out the glass i want to work with for the day. i cannot function in chaos, noise or disorder.

we are all so different when it come to creating. but for me, my creative juices will not flow until i have a clean, empty pallet.
Old 2008-05-06, 4:24am

Hi Murf
You have a great wood shop what do you make bowls and chairs? I see the bench that looks like it is made to hold wood so you can scrape it. I also can see the tools on the wall. Looks like a great set up wood and glass do you ever put them together? DanG
Old 2008-05-06, 6:19am
Borovangelist

I tried the laying out the glass for the day method, but my problem was what to do with the rods that were half used and would have skittered to the back of the tube. Once every couple of months I do clean it up though.

|
|
Old 2008-05-06, 8:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
I tried the laying out the glass for the day method, but my problem was what to do with the rods that were half used and would have skittered to the back of the tube. Once every couple of months I do clean it up though.
Just melt them into a new rod of the same color ~ no waste that way.

I also have to melt in the points ~ It's just a work habit that I started with and seem to always do. I use my torch mounted marver a lot!

Old 2008-05-06, 9:31am
da General

I am with the anal group!
• Everything is put away at the end of torching.
• Every rod and twistie are labeled.
• Stringers go into their designated ice cube tray slot with the labeled rod.
• Ports of torch are cleaned after every session.
• Counter brushed and water changed every couple of days.
• Area is vacuumed once a week.

I share the torch with my sister so it's critical to keep it tidy and organized . . . we are making it a two-torch station soon!

Here is a pix . . . the black flat file on the right is where all the labeled glass rod live! My Mike Crowley kiln is on the right side not in the pix.

|
|
|
|