Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-08-16, 7:17pm

Default Insurance issues?

It seems like most of the homeowners insurance companies have issues not just with tanked gas inside a residence, but also with even the idea that we might be using a torch of any kind inside the house.

Interestingly, since most homeowners coverage is "all perils", and none of the policies I have checked on specifically exclude this activity, it appears that if you go ahead without telling them they would have to pay out on a claim even if it was caused by torching. But if you choose to be straightforward and ask/tell them in advance, they will tell you that they will cancel you if you do it.

So, I'm curious...how many flameworkers have actually checked to see if their insurance is valid when using a torch in the house? And how many have been cleared to do so by the insurance company (and which ones were they?)

Be interesting for all of us to know if there is a potential issue lurking since I know there are tons of people with inside studios.
Old 2011-08-16, 7:32pm

I'm a newbie and have my workbench in the garage (attached) - we haven't discussed with our insurance yet. but, I haven't sold anything so from what I've seen from previous discussions in the tech/tips sections it's a hobby which makes it still insurable.

this is just my insight and perspective tho.
Old 2011-08-16, 7:51pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

It's illegal to have your tanks in the house, but even if it wasn't, it's a very bad idea to have them inside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-08-16, 11:20pm
Unmedicated since '62

You might find something in the fine print about storage of flammable goods

But honestly, how different is a torch to a gas stove? Or a guy doing welding in his workshop ( more dangerous I think), as for a kiln I think the same concerns would apply to toaster ovens or deep fryers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-08-17, 5:26pm
Super Duper

Keep in mind that insurance contracts are based on the legal principle of "Utmost Good Faith" so by not informing them you take on considerable risk.
Quote:
A higher duty is exacted from parties to an insurance contract than from parties to most other contracts in order to ensure the disclosure of all material facts so that the contract may accurately reflect the actual risk being undertaken. The principles underlying this rule were stated by Lord Mansfield in the leading and often quoted case of Carter v Boehm (1766) 97 ER 1162, 1164,
Getting insurance coverage is near impossible in my experience. I'm sure the vast majority of us here are in the same boat.
Old 2011-08-17, 6:32pm

My husband sells insurance and we let the home office know that what I was doing in the garage. They said it was fine as long as I didn't have students. I think they're more worried about liability. Hubby says it depends on the state but most will pay the claim even if you don't tell them in advance what you're doing but they will probably cancel your insurance after they pay.
Home office said it wasn't any different than any other hobby being done in the garage as long as I wasn't selling from my home (customers coming to the house) or teaching students. In other words, having someone else in the studio that could cause/have an accident.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2011-08-19, 9:19am

I questioned my insurance agent a few years ago. I asked "if i dont tell you I am running a torch in the house and it cause destruction, would insurance still pay." He said yes. He went on to say that the insurance company's main concern was weather it was a business or a hobby. If business, it would have to be insured separately.

SRA #C88

Old 2011-08-21, 5:59pm

Location: Indian River County, Florida originally from Connecticut

Thank you Donna appreciate the information on insurance.
Maybe I will move up to GA
Old 2011-09-18, 5:42am
Unique Glass Expressions

I had no problem with getting coverage for a "home based business" under my homeowners policy. The underwriter did want to know details of my set up but ok'd me to run my torch in the house (tanked gas is outside). I now want to teach outside of my studio and am now moving the business insurance as a separate policy to include 1M of liability insurance. The cost for this policy is around $500 yr. Small price to pay to cover my butt. Lol...

Annmarie Stanesa

Old 2011-09-29, 4:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozles View Post
I questioned my insurance agent a few years ago. I asked "if i dont tell you I am running a torch in the house and it cause destruction, would insurance still pay." He said yes. He went on to say that the insurance company's main concern was weather it was a business or a hobby. If business, it would have to be insured separately.
This is precisely what I received as response when I enquired.
Old 2011-10-16, 10:55am

Default Insurance

I worked for an Insurance company for 19 years. It is a good idea to bite the bullet and read your contract all the way through. Homeowner policies are written in plain english now. I know one thing, you can not lie to an agent or on an application, they will prosecute you. They live for that. If they ask, you must tell them the truth. However, who is going to ask if you are using a torch. Check over your policy carefully, and don't talk about your hobbies with the agent. My policy does not exclude fires caused from a torch. My husband was not comfortable with the oxygen & propane being in the house or garage. My shed is 100 feet away from the house. I can't complain though, he had to dig the 100 foot trench to the shed for the electric. I'll be honest and say I go with the "Better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission." I hope this helps.
Old 2011-11-07, 5:13pm
Formerly Bakerman44

i rent and went ahead and got a separate business policy. my rental insurance does not cover losses caused from home based businesses, a hobby stops when you make (or is it gross) $3000. i think there is a big "OR" in there too. If you profit from your hobby 3 years in a row, it becomes a business. This was about 2 years ago when i was trying to figure it all out so the numbers may have changed and i am remembering vaguely. So I hope this gets you on the right track of what to look for in your current homeowner's or renter's contracts

Old 2023-05-02, 10:13pm

i'm insured with the State Farm and when i told them, they said, not a problem as long as its a hobby, not a business.