Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-04-21, 6:45pm
Progression in progress

Location: please ask for where i live to send items thank you

My bad hope everyone got a good laugh
Old 2012-04-21, 7:55pm

That is funny I have had spell check get me a couple of times. skull and scull and there was another one but I forget what it was.
Oh I know it was marina and maria.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-04-21, 8:02pm
Pyromaniac

Pipes have bowls.
Your lower intestines are bowels
You need a big set of brass balls to do cold calls at new head shops

Hope that helps

I was just up at a 420 celebration/demo held locally, after watching some of these guys work, I think I'm going to grow a pair myself and try some hollow work

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-04-21, 8:41pm
Progression in progress

Right lol they were really excited about it im the only glass worker in a hundred miles
Old 2012-04-22, 5:30pm

Chris, look up blow ins/blow outs over at talkglass. It is WAY easier than it looks. Killer effects. I had a bub crack from a shitty weld, but a good green under fume lived. I'll put up pictures.

James, I'm glad your bowel connections are good. What's it like to have that tested?

Last edited by Jngljnke; 2012-04-22 at 5:35pm.
Old 2012-04-22, 7:21pm
Progression in progress

Like having them pulled through your mouth piece but im still really excited
Old 2012-04-23, 7:21am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jngljnke View Post
Chris, look up blow ins/blow outs over at talkglass. It is WAY easier than it looks. Killer effects. I had a bub crack from a shitty weld, but a good green under fume lived. I'll put up pictures.

James, I'm glad your bowel connections are good. What's it like to have that tested?
Here's a pretty good video on doing blow-ins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJeOBe7dtfY

Old 2012-04-23, 8:08am

You can use a extension cord if it's rated correctly. I had to only because the placement of the box. Not recommended, but fosho can be done if needed without being a fire hazard
Old 2012-04-24, 7:27am
Progression in progress

Has anyone used the little torch on here?
Old 2012-04-24, 7:36am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lewis View Post
Has anyone used the little torch on here?
I have one. I use it from time to time.

Old 2012-04-24, 8:56am
Progression in progress

Ive been thinking of getting one for some really detailed work on pipes and hollow work im wanting to do since you can work with smaller and thin pieces with it without having to worry about it becoming a molten blob
Old 2012-04-24, 1:51pm
ManBearPig

What kind of torch do you have now? I find I can get as detailed as I need to get with the center fire of my CC.

Old 2012-04-24, 6:30pm
is

Life is not complete without the Smith Little Torch or Gentec's. Both are the same, but Gentec's has longer hoses for the same money. Use the #7 tip, unless you upgrade to the Hornet Wizard tip (4 stars) or the Blast Shield 7-hole tip (5 stars!).

I use it on every mib that i put on a pipe. Invaluable tool.

Look @ eBay for the best pricing, the glass suppliers are about 30% higher.
Old 2012-04-24, 7:20pm

I agree with Cosmo on the CC. What kind of torch are you on now James?

Here's a fee more blow ins.

Old 2012-04-24, 7:33pm
Progression in progress

Im working on a midrange plus with a minor on top. I tried some blow ins and they both failed pretty hard didnt get the patterns i want or color.
Old 2012-04-25, 10:46am

I learned on a Red Max with a pre mix minor. A buddy of mine has the same torch as you. I never had much luck fuming or adding detail with the surface mix minor. I can definitely see how it could give you problems.

How's your coil potting?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIFJu2E09b4 (thanks LePatron)
This is how we were getting most of our base colors, with different variations of fuming inside the cup. It was WAY easier when I had someone pull the cup out of the kiln and heat/hold it for me. It made it easier to get the blow in to a honey consistency. I'm back in my studio now so I won't have that luxury anymore.
Old 2012-04-25, 11:12am
Progression in progress

My coil potting is pretty good used to do alot of hollow beads with my soft glass same thing really. And i was able to fume it pretty good after it went through the kiln the colors really popped out. I think my problem was i used to little and didnt get it hot enough. And it didnt help that i havent done very many cups before. Ill put pics up when i get home
Old 2012-04-25, 3:22pm
Progression in progress

Name:  R2012-04-25_10-42-54_221-1.jpg
Views: 3758
Size:  21.6 KB

Name:  2012-04-25_10-41-26_640-1.jpg
Views: 3750
Size:  18.3 KB
the results of my first two blow ins
Old 2012-04-25, 4:01pm

Keep at it. Locky like you're doing fine. You know what they say about practice. I'm going to try out my ten mil blow pole in a few. I bet it's going to help get my coils hotter. I like how the trapped air looks, but I'd rather have it as an option.
Old 2012-04-25, 4:49pm
is

Jngljnke; heat up more of the neck and pop the hole closer to the neck for the spoon. Then give it a push in and down, and the bowl will be positioned so you can see it when its held to your lips rather than at a perpendicular angle to it.

Here's how I do em:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYOQbRaYXpo
Old 2012-04-25, 4:55pm
Progression in progress

Im thinking of trying it again tonight making the cup a bit bigger and doing a heaveir fuming think i might throw in some gold with it too
Old 2012-04-25, 7:19pm

Good luck James.

Thanks YourHighness. I'll give it a shot.
Old 2012-04-25, 9:19pm

so can any one tell me what are the legal issues with pipe making?
I recently read a news article from a few years ago where a pipe maker in norcal was arrested by the feds and prosocuted, wound up serving 6 months house arrest.
granted he and his partner where targeted probably because of the volume of production but it sucks that the feds would do that.

#C-151
Old 2012-04-25, 9:52pm
Enjoying Life

http://www.degenerateartfilm.com/

Got to see this film with Marble Slinger and several of the people involved in the Feds great bust. Great film!

Old 2012-04-25, 10:11pm

Nice short film, yeah that's who I was talking about I googled his name after he opened a glass shop nearby and was shocked to read what the feds had done.
WOW those are some fantastic pipes in the film,the level of Skill and art involved is amazing.
thanks for the link

#C-151
Old 2012-04-25, 10:40pm
Progression in progress

Wow thats just hitlerish. Awesome looking pipes though can you imagine how long it would take to make one of those
Old 2012-04-25, 10:49pm

I watched a local guy making a complex pipe recently it took him the better part of a week to finish and he has mad skills. His pipe was not as complex as some of the ones in the film.
yeah it's crazy I see that the feds are craking down on more local dispensaries, which are legal by state law

#C-151
Old 2012-04-26, 12:36am

Any one wanting to know about the realistic possibilities of pipe making look up operation pipe dreams and 101 north. Scary shit to know still today this could happen to anyone who makes pipes and possibly ships to the wrong state.

If you want to become decent at making anything. Make 100 of them out of clear and go from there. I tell anyone i give a lesson to that aprox 75% of all pipe making can be traced back to the basic spoon and the fundamentals behind the classic shape. So many people get caught up on color and shiny things that they bypass the basic fundamentals. Crawl before you walk, walk before you run.

When i first started my adventure into the pipe world i was lucky enough to live close to luke wilson a great pipe man with a ton of history and knowledge it took a while to get him to even give me the time of day and his first lesson to me was to make 100 clear spoons i made 3 bypassed his words and went to color and FAILED! Here is a hint if you cant get it right in clear where you can see wall thickness chance are you will fail when you add color into the mix.

Oh also mr hangswell i heard that Vertigo guy is a real asshole.....
Old 2012-04-26, 5:23am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Essentially, it's attaching a piece to parts of itself so that it doesn't sag when heat is applied in the middle. You can use it like "scaffolding" which is removed later, or integrated into a piece.

Example:
http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...light=bridging

Pretty much anything you may have a question on is on that forum if it has to do with pipes. And they're going to tell you to UTFSE before you ask any questions (use the f****** search engine) so be warned ... and use it.
while I am not a pipe maker, I have a strong background in blown work. this is how I assemble my orchids and flowers as well as some complicated sculpture. Its a great technique to know and lets you get joins melted in well without sagging

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-04-26, 9:23am

any one else notice the automatic response of oh you make pipes when you tell someone you are a boro flameworker? I get that from the general public, softglass bead makers and of course my cop friends.
the funny thing is I am not a pipe maker, I am intriged by the artwork and skills that go into it and I love tubing work but after reading about what happend to ryan and talking to him about it that is a risk I would rather avoid. so I will admire the skill and art that goes into them and keep trying to sell mundane glass items.
it is funny though that everyone thinks I am a pipe maker and I get those knowing winks when I tell them I am not

#C-151

Tags
boro, don't say b*ng omg!, duh, it's in the boro room