Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-04-13, 6:21am

Lightbulb Transfer photo onto beads!!

Anybody know a way you can transfer a photo onto a glassbead?It would have been soo cool if it is possible..

anybody?
Old 2007-04-26, 1:03pm

I recently saw a bead that looked as if it had a transfer on it and was thinking the same thing. Can anyone elaborate?????
Old 2007-04-26, 1:10pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm...emSYSid=191621

You need to fuse the bead after creating it the first time to fuse the photo onto it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-04-26, 1:23pm
i burnt my wookiee

i bought a pack of this transfer medium awhile back and haven't gotten around to using it... has anyone else used it? i'd love some experience feedback on the product.

Help keep Lampwork Etc. alive and well, donate via paypal at
Old 2007-04-26, 4:17pm

I did get some of the paper also for Christmas. Just tried using it and I went to four different printing places(Office Max, Office Depot, Kinko and a local printer) Tried all four in the kiln and did it according to directions and the image just burned off. I guess it wasn't carbon based enough!! Very frustrating! Asked if it could be returned and they asked if it had been opened (duh!) and if so, it couldn't be returned. Very disappointing! If anyone knows of a printer place with a laser printer that works with this product, please pm me. Good luck with your projects!
Roy
Old 2007-04-26, 5:58pm

Default Dye Sublimation

It could be done but not easy or cheap.You would have to use a process called Dye Sublimation. This is the same process used to put photos on mugs, ceramic tiles, glass trophys, plaques, t-shirts, etc. just like the stand you see in the shopping malls. It takes a special ink in your inkjet printer, a special type paper, and the surface of the mug, etc must have a special coating. You print the photo in mirror image on your inkjet and then use a heat press at about 350 F for 45 secs and the ink goes to a gaseous state and bonds to the special coating. Used to do it when I was in the photo business. The problem would be in the coating of the beads and the shape. The mugs use a press that is curved to the mug shape and the other things use a t-shirt (flat) press. The ink and paper is not that expensive but the press is the big investment ,and you would have to make flat beads. Hope this helps and you can GOOGLE "Dye Sublimation" and get lots of info on the process....it is a lot of fun if you are into photography.

Larry
Atlanta
Old 2007-04-26, 7:51pm

I saw someones beads somewhere where printed images were encased underclear. I can not for the life of me find where I saw them. But they were freaking cool. =)

Etsy

My Flickr

Old 2007-04-26, 11:39pm

thank you all
Old 2007-04-27, 5:47pm
Missing presumed fed

Olympic Color Rods sells a photosensitive glass, and there's that one person who sells on eBay who uses it. I can't for the life of me remember her username (except that there's something about it that reminds me of farm or barn or oak, and maybe black or red -- well, that's all totally useless). Her auction text goes on and on about how expensive the glass is, but the glass itself really isn't frighteningly expensive (not to those of us with a heavy Double Helix habit, anyway) -- but the process that you have to go through to make the image register sounds like hell on earth to me. I think if you go to Olympic Color Rods's site and poke around, a description of it might be on there. There was something about using a phonograph turntable to make sure that the bead got exposed to the light evenly for the right amount of time -- or maybe that was on the eBay seller's website. Killed any desire I had to do it, anyway.

Going back to the stuff that Debbie mentioned. I have no experience with that product, but I've tried to use different types of transfers for different things (not photos on beads), and you usually need to find an OLD photocopier that still uses TONER. Inkjet printers absolutely do not work. Recent copiers and laser printers usually don't work. I took a workshop with Susan Lenart Kazmer (it was on etching metal) and she said she'd found a drugstore some place that had a copy machine that you could feed coins into, and that's where she made copies for transfers. (Of course, if you're using special "paper," you need to find a machine like that somewhere that you can put your own paper in, which makes it even harder.) The other thing about toner-based copies is that they need to be fresh (that is, copied fairly recently) to work as transfers.

If you think you might be interested in the product that Debbie mentioned, you might want to go to a forum that's heavily into fusing (is warmglass.com still the place to go?) and ask about it. I'd ask if it requires toner based copies, and if so, then ask for suggestions about how to go about finding a place to get toner copies in these modern times.
Old 2007-04-27, 6:16pm
In search of her path....

There is a printer material out that can be printed on your ink jets I think and transfered onto your glass and fused on at low temps...I saw it at a place called Glasslink in fort wayne indiana a while back a year or more ago...I had seen some she had done with it and it was very nice...

If you dont necessarily want the image fused onto the glass there are lots of different options to try....but most will be somewhat delicate or prone to being scratched or damaged...

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2022-12-08, 10:31pm
AsubTransferPaper

You can use dye-sublimation paper to transfer patterns on the glass beads. I recommend A-SUBŪ for dye-sublimation paper, which is very popular in the North American market.

Old 2022-12-09, 9:09am

Here are some alternative ideas:
1. Boro artists do stringer stacks then pull down to murrine cane. Finally, wet saw some slices and encase for clean, fine resolution images under clear. I'd wager it is possible with soft glass too maybe a little more work but possible! (coe90 stringer stacks inside an opened up glaskolben, then melt-in using rollers is what I thought would work)

2. Leave a flat spot on the bead for the image, print/cut a small image to fit, then use clear two-part epoxy to attach and cover. That would give the highest resolution image since it depends on the printed image and from my experience, the epoxy is very clear if done right.