Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-04-01, 10:18am

Default Has anyone else used GIMP for photo editing? It's FREE

My 15yr old daughter introduced me to GIMP, and I'm wondering if anyone else has ever tried it for their photo editing? It's a free photo/animation/picture editing program that is available for anyone to download and use, and from what I've seen so far it's excellent. The website is www.gimp.org if you want to take a look.
This is the intro from the GIMP website:
GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages.

Thought some folks might be interested.
Carol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-04-01, 11:16am
Is it May yet?

I tried it for a while and didn't like it...I downloaded paint.net a couple days ago, and I love it!! I was able to make my first animated .gif for my avatar...it's pretty plain right now, but I was excited! I have never been able to figure out how to make an animated .gif before.
Just my opinion, for what it's worth!

For some, confusion is not a state of mind, but a way of life
Old 2007-04-01, 1:10pm
Save the Numbats

Yes, I've used GIMP for years. It always comes with various Linux distributions, and is indeed made by a organization that makes a lot of critical Linux system software (GNU).

It is a grand program, not as intense as the newest Photoshop or whatever, but more than adequate for dealing with digital photos. The interface might strike some people as 'Macintosh like'. I use GIMP for resizing, cropping, altering color balance and I used to make lots of weird digital art with it.
Old 2007-04-01, 4:25pm
Boro Brat

GIMP is a wonderful program, filled with all kinds of good stuff! I found it much less user-friendly than photoshop, though. I have a feeling once you learn it, it would be easy enough to use, but I feel like it's a less intuitive program than photoshop. Then again, I learned in photoshop, so of course that would be the most natural for me to use If you can't afford photoshop, though, GIMP is my next favorite!! You really can't go wrong with it! Just make sure you download it from a site that has already patched the errors

Old 2007-04-04, 8:49am
Lady Firebird

One disadvantage of The Gimp is that there aren't a zillion books on it like there are for Photoshop etc. The good thing is that the one current book out there is very good -- Beginning Gimp: From Novice to Professional, by Akkana Peck. Published by APress, ISBN 1-59059-587-4.

GTT Scorpion torch & Regalia oxycon

Old 2007-04-04, 7:31pm

It really depends on what you like. I only use GIMP both on Linux and on W2k. I find it very easy to use. I tried PSElements a few years back and found it very difficult to use as most Windows programs are - use Abusive. YMMV. My biggest complaint with PSE is that it wastes too much screen real estate with borders and menus - something that GIMP give syou the option of hiding when you don't need 'em.

Again YMMV