Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-13, 12:15pm
Mr Brutus RIP

ah cool. I will have to get some, I rarely EVER bake LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-07-13, 12:17pm

the link I posted mentions copier paper amongst other things could be used. I'm sure you already have something that would work!

Old 2011-07-13, 4:40pm
Burning through glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
Renee, too funny! Yes, a "wrapper" would look cute! LOL
I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about this. What if you found a miniature dinner plate....you know, like for doll houses, that was the right scale for your burger, maybe around an inch diameter or so. You could drill a hole in the center large enough to slip over the silicon ring and pop the burger on top of that and screw it onto your ring! What do you think?

This food thing must have really inspired me....I began thinking of other foodie objects last night and decided my personal challenge is to make a row of sushi in a binto box ring topper. Well, we'll see! Yay fun!!

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2011-07-13, 4:42pm
Burning through glass

Madeline, your suggestion for the "wrapper" is awesome!! The bunnies, oh the BUNNIES!! I LOVE them!

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2011-07-13, 5:00pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Love the bunnies!
Renee LOL

Sushi would be really cute!!

Old 2011-07-20, 10:18pm
Mad about Glass

Any news on the blackened rings?

[url]

Old 2011-07-21, 3:44am

Oh my, how cute are those bunnies, Madeline!!!!

(ring top mandrels, nuts, & beads *****
for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-07-22, 9:53am
Burning through glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekkie View Post
Any news on the blackened rings?
They're only available in the 8mm widths right now....but they tell me the 5mm will be available soon. I think I'm leaning towards getting the 5mm since the 8mm doesn't seem to be a favorite size . I'll pop them an email for an eta.

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2011-07-22, 10:04am

Thanks for comments on my bunnies!
heres another one!

is there an S&T for the ring tops yet?

Old 2011-07-25, 1:16pm
Burning through glass

That's a beauty Madeline!

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2011-07-25, 1:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadelineBunyan View Post
Excellent ! I love recycling

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2011-07-25, 2:16pm
Mr Brutus RIP

My newest toppers. Second one down I made for myself
Attached Images

Old 2011-07-26, 4:33am

Does anyone know if Sunset bld and Ring ding are compatible ? In terms of screw sizes ?

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2011-07-26, 8:20am
Burning through glass

I believe they are both compatible.....I've seen the names used interchangeably with other artists in Europe. Ring Ding is a higher end jewelry system and is made by Silberwerk (their site is gorgeous!) http://www.ringding.us/ . Maybe they have specs on the site to research and be sure.

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2011-07-26, 8:32am

Hi Anne, they definitely are the same size

And glassymom, those are soooooooo fabulous!

I'm finally back from my course and have one in the kiln

for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-07-26, 10:57am

Thanks.

So here's one of mine. It's 50 mm wide (almost 2 inches) so it's intended more as a pendant than as a ring top... it's going on Etsy right away although I wish I could keep it for myself
Attached Images

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2011-07-26, 10:59am

Oh my! I'm not surprised you want to keep it - what a stunner!!!!!!!!

for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-07-26, 11:00am

mmmm...it is lovely! no wonder you'd like to keep it!

Old 2011-07-26, 9:01pm
Burning through glass

So.....I still think SOMEONE should start a post for all these beauties in the Gallery section so we can all drool and be inspired as they come out of the kiln!!! Someone should have the first post honor!!! Common now!! Madeline...Anne....Sue....let's go girls!

Custom Supplies:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2011-07-26 at 9:06pm.
Old 2011-07-26, 11:10pm

Yep parchment = greaseproof paper.

Old 2011-07-27, 3:47pm

I guess no one has started one yet then.
well I have no new photos so it wont be me today.

Old 2011-07-28, 6:34am

right, tis started...get showing!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...99#post3642599

Old 2011-08-02, 9:47am
Master Procrastinator

Just wanted to mention a small issue I came across with the ring sizes. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I sold someone a size 7 ring with several toppers. She called to say that it was too small. She happens to be a jewelry artist & checked the size on her ring mandrel & it's actually closer to a 6.5 or 6.75.

I only have an 8 to compare to, but checked it too on my ring mandrel & it's also smaller than an 8, probably 7.75. I know the rings come in mm's, but the corresponding ring sizes are off by a bit. Anyone else had an issue with this? So far, I've only sold them directly, but would like to list them online too, but not sure how to handle the sizing.

Old 2011-08-02, 10:45am

Lea do you mean the Sunset Blvd or the Ring Ding ? I'm not sure how the sizes would be calibrated for Sunset Blvd but there are several different scales depending on the countries and I've seen once a size chart (UK maybe?) that used the same numbers than the US ones but didn't correspond exactly. Could it be that ?

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2011-08-02, 10:52am
Master Procrastinator

Mine are the Sunset that I ordered from Renee.

ETA: the customer was very nice about it, but am just concerned going forward. Not sure how to list the sizing. Ring mandrels here in the US list the size only, not the mm's, at least not to my knowledge.

Old 2011-08-02, 11:08am
Cancer SUCKS!

Not all ring mandrels are the same size. Not sure why, but every mandrel will be slightly off from another.

My ring mandrel say it says 7, it could be 6.5 on another persons mandrel.

Old 2011-08-02, 12:05pm
Master Procrastinator

You would think there would be a uniform list out there but it seems like the more sites I look at, the more size discrepancies I'm finding. It's so weird! So, no one else is having this issue?

Old 2011-08-02, 2:29pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Just wanted to mention a small issue I came across with the ring sizes. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I sold someone a size 7 ring with several toppers. She called to say that it was too small. She happens to be a jewelry artist & checked the size on her ring mandrel & it's actually closer to a 6.5 or 6.75.

I only have an 8 to compare to, but checked it too on my ring mandrel & it's also smaller than an 8, probably 7.75. I know the rings come in mm's, but the corresponding ring sizes are off by a bit. Anyone else had an issue with this? So far, I've only sold them directly, but would like to list them online too, but not sure how to handle the sizing.
I also purchased a 7 as I can wear that size on my index and middle fingers of my right hand. It is not a 7 - it is a 6.5 - I can't get it on those fingers. I can wear the size 6.5 on the index finger of my left hand. This wasn't a big deal for me as the ring was a personal purchase for me. I would think that what they are calling a 6 is probably a 5.5 (I'll probably order one of those from Renee as I wear a 5 on the ring finger of my right hand), the 7 is really a 6.5, etc.

My ring is the one with the wider band and that can make a difference. Maybe, the size is more accurate for the rings with the thinner bands.

Last edited by MaryBeth; 2011-08-02 at 4:04pm.
Old 2011-08-02, 2:46pm
Master Procrastinator

thanks Mary Beth. I've only purchased the thinner bands so it seems like it's not just the width of the band. It wasn't a huge issue for me either since the customer was very gracious about it, but am trying to sort it out for the future.

Old 2011-08-02, 3:47pm
Certified Glassaholic!

I had actually contacted Renee about the ring sizing b/c I, too, ran into the same problem! Mine was with the narrow band and, of course, with the wider band it was even more so.