The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-21, 3:31pm
Definitely having fun

Default "The Egg" flaring tool from Robert Mickelsen

Hi gang,

Has anyone tried "The Egg" flaring tool from Robert Mickelsen.
http://www.mickelsenstudios.com/Egg.html
I wonder if the smaller version would work well enough for goblets, mainly I expect to use it for ornaments.
Would it leave any black on the glass ?

I can shape this in wood, is there any point to me thinking I could do this in cherry wood (maybe soaked in water) and end up with a useable tool that was worth the trouble.

Chris
High in the mountains

Last edited by Brandywine; 2010-01-21 at 3:37pm.
Old 2010-01-21, 3:38pm

I've seen it, but haven't used one.

And yes, you can make one out of wood. Furnace workers have been using wood tools like this for hundreds of years

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-01-21, 6:09pm

He had one with him when he was in Atlanta in November - looked like a cool tool. I didn't get to try it out, though. Good graphite won't leave black behind in your glass. You could make one from cherry if you've got a lathe, but there's a problem. You'll have to soak it and keep it wet or it will char. A cherry tool like this will act as a 'steam stick' and put pressure inside the vessel you're trying to flare. This will likely give you a bulge where you don't want it. I'd go with the graphite tool, myself.

Robert
Old 2010-01-21, 6:31pm
Borovangelist

He made it specifically to do goblets if I'm not mistaken, so yes, it should work

|
|
Old 2010-01-21, 7:44pm
No Problem!

It looks really cool, I'd love to try it. He mentions that it helps with convex flares and can be used in the flame.
It has no straight lines so I can see why it might help with creating a nice flowing contour in a flare...

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2010-01-22, 5:50am
He can do the origami

Haven't used one but drooled all over one... the graphite is excellent quality.

Otter
Old 2010-01-23, 12:27pm

Oh man this is the coolest tool ever! I saw him demonstrate it at the GAS conference last year. He demo-ed it on a goblet and said he'd developed it specifically for that.

I bought the smaller one. It's like a baton! But absolutely awesome!

Cindy

Old 2010-01-23, 6:54pm
Harold Williams Cooney

I will be buying those, thank you very much . . . just need you all to buy some stuff from me . . . .

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.