Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-01-20, 5:35pm

Default Why doest thine pendant cracketh?

Heyall. I just recently started dabbling with implosion pendants and after 19/20 of them cracking on me I've decided I need answers. I've never had this problem before with mushroom pendants, leafs, marbles etc.. Only with implosion pendants. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is?
Old 2011-01-20, 5:48pm

Where and when do they crack?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-01-20, 5:50pm

I mean 'whereth and whenth doth they crackth?

Old 2011-01-20, 5:55pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb tarry View Post
I mean 'whereth and whenth doth they crackth?
Thou dost cracketh me up.

Old 2011-01-20, 6:16pm

Can thou provideth us a picture...
Old 2011-01-20, 6:42pm
It's about having fun!

lol!
Old 2011-01-20, 6:43pm
Borovangelist

And which colors hast thou wrought into thine glass?

|
|
Old 2011-01-20, 6:47pm
I fart diamonds

Thou dost loveth thine thread!

Old 2011-01-20, 8:43pm

No serious man give us more info.

Old 2011-01-21, 9:32am

thine art a fine groupeth of folk.
They keep cracking in my kiln. I've tried setting it on several different temperatures but always with the same outcome. The crack is always on the inside of the pendant in almost a straight line across the middle. I've tried using several different colors (all from glass alchemy, which I've never used until just recently)
I don't have a computer, just an iPod touch, so I can't upload any pictures. But I'll see what I can do about borrowing my roommate to get some up so you can have a visual.
Thine help is much appreciated....eth
Old 2011-01-21, 9:53am
Glassmangler

Can you tell us which GA colors? If they're green, or if they're sparkly, or if they're green and sparkly, that may be a factor.

Are you setting the pendant down on the hot floor of the kiln? If so it may be thermal shock. Use fiber blanket.

Are you using a cold pair of tweezers to put them into the kiln? If so it may be thermal shock.

edit: mentally replace all "Are you" with "Art thou"
Old 2011-01-21, 10:04am

You may have hit the nail on the head. I do use green in most of them. (not sure the exact names of the colors, I can check when I get back home) And I do set them on the floor of the kiln. But I don't use cold tweezers. So at least I got that goin for me. I'll try one without green. See if that works. Also I'll try and pick up a thermal blanket, as I don't have one. Thank you! (boy am I glad I found this site!)
Old 2011-01-21, 10:06am
Pyromaniac

They have kiln paper (or something similar) which is thinner and easier to work with than fiber blanket - look into that as well - but if you're using green that's probably the culprit. Try using blue moon or turquesa or something like that instead and see how your results are

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-01-21, 10:20am
Playing with Fire!

The two greens that can be deeply embedded and not cause problems are Glasstronics dark green, and Northstar experimental green. The old Corning Green Dwarf is good too, but almost unobtainable.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2011-01-21, 10:39am
Borovangelist

The Elan/Origin Dwarf Green was encasable too but I don't know that they sell it anymore. Not the swiftest group over there.

|
|
Old 2011-01-21, 11:25am
Hobby Junkie

Check the crack very closely. Do you notice any air bubbles? I had a few crack when I first started doing complex implosions. When I examined the crack, I noticed a small oblong airbubble near the termination point of the implosion. I've become very careful about terminating cleanly and haven't had a further issues.

That said... I think the issue is probably the green.

Old 2011-01-21, 12:16pm

if you don't properly marver the back as you implode, it's pretty hard to keep from trapping air, which is what causes it to crack from the inside out.

when your edges drop down, are you just covering the divit in the back with color? this traps are too.

Old 2011-01-21, 12:32pm
Formerly Bakerman44

if you're using green and your technique is right...you could be annealing too long. greens and sparkly want to "sweat" and change coe on you if they get over worked or garage for a long long time. can't wait to see the cracking and find the result of said crack.

Old 2011-01-21, 1:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
Check the crack very closely. Do you notice any air bubbles? I had a few crack when I first started doing complex implosions. When I examined the crack, I noticed a small oblong airbubble near the termination point of the implosion. I've become very careful about terminating cleanly and haven't had a further issues.

That said... I think the issue is probably the green.
Hmm I have been playing with that air bubble, I have been letting the implosion cup on it self to trap some air and them it draws out with the implosion...looks really cool, but I didn't think about it being a cracking issue, well none of them have cracked yet so I guess I better keep an eye on them
Old 2011-01-21, 1:13pm
The Venerable Bead

if you want green implosions with no cracking try blue caramel or my favorite implosion color black pearl

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2011-01-21, 1:22pm

these greens are awesome for implosions and deep encasement.

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/advan...r4pqin2lhfo1v7

Old 2011-01-21, 1:26pm
boro color bender

warm your tweezers before you grab it to put it in the kiln...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-01-22, 7:00am
Glassmangler

Air bubbles melted perfectly spherical are usually not a problem. Elongated/strange shaped ones can contribute to cracking.
Old 2011-01-22, 11:35pm
Flamewoman

Might thou be gazing a fortnight upon thine pendant and admiring
it's beauty to the pointeth of coolness, and then lo, when put into a hot kiln
a crack appears? Is all your glass the same coe?

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2011-01-23, 6:24am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Thine thread is so funny that I laughedeth so hard that I tumbledeth off my chair and fell on the floor so hard that I broketh my butt, because now it too doest haveth a cracketh in it.

Old 2011-01-27, 6:21am

So I've been toying around with some without the green and have yet to have one crack on me without. Also picked up some kiln paper just In case. But now have a small collection of UNcracked semi reasonable implosion pendants. Thanks for all your input! I'm learning loads about the little technicalaties that are easy for a beginer to overlook through this website!
Thine help is much appreciatedeth.
Old 2011-01-27, 8:32am

'appreciatedeth' just try saying that one out loud. Can't can you. We should start a thread with pictures of our practise and rejects. When I started to work on the implosion technique some said to get a box for rejects. Well my box runth over.

Old 2011-01-27, 8:56am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Before I make something I have a real good picture in my mind of exactly how I want it to look. If it doesn't look the way I envisioned it, is it a reject? If so, then I have a very very large collection of rejects. (Although after looking at most of them for a few days I usually say "Wow, these are really good!)

Last edited by gmkcpa; 2011-01-27 at 5:07pm.
Old 2011-01-27, 10:18am

I hear a lot about greens cracking pieces but have yet to experience the problem.
what garage temp are you sitting at? my shop is now at the coast and it seems every other day i walk up to the kiln with PF flashing. (power failure) yet not once have i lost a mib. my SC2 kiln keeps it heat and cools slow enough to save the pieces. I suspect your kiln is too cool at a garage temp.. or "warm your tweezers before you grab it to put it in the kiln"

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2011-01-28, 6:25am

I'm sure the temp ain't doin much good for it. I'm working out of a half finished shed in northern Utah. So even though it's a quick transition from flame to kiln my piece is still exposed to 15-25 degree cold air before making it into the kiln... The kiln still takes a good four or five hours to cool despite the cold. But I can't help but think that it does affect it.

N I like the idea of a reject thread. Good thing I don't have a way of uploading pics or I might take that one over real quick! Eth