Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-25, 6:49am
Ezzy

I don't understand the "build time" on an oxygen concentrator. Do you have any idea what that might involve?

My first concentrator was one of my husband's used concentrators, I just hooked it up to the torch and placed it at a setting that wouldn't make the alarm go nuts and fired up. I'd disable the alarm if I knew how. I understand there is a bed of zeolite or something like that which could potentially need to be changed. I also purchased a M-15 from a vendor where I did not need to wait for build time so I never needed to wait 2 to 3 months.

I don't have a very complex mind. I thought a vendor would simply buy a concentrator - perhaps used - disable the alarm, change the zeolite, clean the filters and maybe stick a couple of their own emblems on it and the device would be good to go.

Can't you just go to the medical supply place and buy one of your own? What about that great little concentrator at the yard sale where gramma died that has only 1,000 hours on the meter?
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2013-03-25, 7:26am
I'm a lilac!

I don't understand either... I've never rebuilt one though. I have an M-15 I didn't have to wait for and a couple used medical ones too. Maybe someone who has more experience will chime in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-25, 8:58am
Dianne Gleaton

Default How is it done?

Hi Kalera, First, thank you for your generosity in sharing all of your tricks and knowledge. Could you tell me how you got this effect, http://www.beadwife.com/?a=catalog.p...l&sku=A-014197 Lilliwaup Dusk Squeeze (10) (A-014197)

and this one, http://www.beadwife.com/?a=catalog.p...l&sku=A-014075 name is Hetch Hetchie 11) (A-014075). I tried to grab the photo but got the url instead. Also, when ;you do the squeeze bead, do you start out with a donut shape to get them to be all uniformlike yours are? TIA, Dianne
Old 2013-03-25, 9:04am
Dianne Gleaton

Default Adult Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
You are so, so welcome! And thank you, also, for the note about going back to school as an adult... it helps me a LOT to know that others have DONE IT!
Hi Kalera, I too was an adult student, out of HS for 11 years. Went thru RU program having two young sons and a DH working all 3 shifts in 4 weeks. His schedule was so erratic we didn't know if he was coming or going. It was well worth it and I enjoyed my career for 33 yrs. Never regretted the hard work it took to keep it all together and graduate with a 4.0 average and came in the top 10% of the Nursing Boards for Florida. Keep it up, when you need to vent we are all here for you. Dianne
Old 2013-03-25, 9:36am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Gleaton View Post
Hi Kalera, First, thank you for your generosity in sharing all of your tricks and knowledge. Could you tell me how you got this effect, http://www.beadwife.com/?a=catalog.p...l&sku=A-014197 Lilliwaup Dusk Squeeze (10) (A-014197)

and this one, http://www.beadwife.com/?a=catalog.p...l&sku=A-014075 name is Hetch Hetchie 11) (A-014075). I tried to grab the photo but got the url instead. Also, when ;you do the squeeze bead, do you start out with a donut shape to get them to be all uniformlike yours are? TIA, Dianne

Hi Dianne!

The first set is made with Bullseye sheet glass scrap... I don't remember the number, but in the sheet, it's a lovely cranberry and white swirl with hints of blue.

Hetch Hetchy was made by melting the end of Uroboros Alpine Blue and dipping it in Kugler Capri Blue frit, melting that into a gather, and then making the bead from the gather. This method, done with various colors, is one of my favorite methods for making beads! I finished the beads by tumbling them for a matte finish.

For my squeeze beads, yes, that is exactly what I do; I start with a nice even donut shape and then squeeze.

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I love hearing other people's success stories!

Old 2013-03-25, 1:08pm

Hi Kalera, I have lots of gorgeous Bullseye sheet glass that is just gathering dust. I've tried cutting strips and making beads from it before, but I always get scum where the scoring knife cut the glass in spite of pre-cleaning it. Cleaning it is a bit tricky ... and scary! Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks! Patti

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2013-03-25, 2:26pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missp_32 View Post
Hi Kalera, I have lots of gorgeous Bullseye sheet glass that is just gathering dust. I've tried cutting strips and making beads from it before, but I always get scum where the scoring knife cut the glass in spite of pre-cleaning it. Cleaning it is a bit tricky ... and scary! Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks! Patti
Hi Patti!

I have two suggestions: One is, if you don't currently use a lubricant in your cutter, doing so will help minimize the very fine chipping left by the scoring knife. The other is to run your strips through the dishwasher to remove any trace of lubricant or glass dust... that way you have way less risk of cutting yourself.

Have fun!

Old 2013-03-25, 6:08pm
Ezzy

Quote:
I don't understand either... I've never rebuilt one though. I have an M-15 I didn't have to wait for and a couple used medical ones too. Maybe someone who has more experience will chime in?
Thank you, hope you have a great evening.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2013-03-25, 9:46pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieFireBeads View Post
Thank you, hope you have a great evening.
Thank you, you too!

Old 2013-03-29, 9:03am

Thanks Kalera!

Old 2013-03-29, 9:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by missp_32 View Post

Thanks! Patti
Hi Patti, I play around with 104 glass and spectrum system 96 and here is what I have noticed. When I use 104 I need more propane, my setting is at 10 lbs on my guage and my 96 was getting scummy at that setting. I reduced the setting to 5lbs on my propane and the scum is gone.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-03-30, 10:47am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Quote:
This is a fabulous thread - many thanks Kalera!!!

How do you manage to get such a lovely pink out of this R Mystic pink ....?!

And .. what is the colour/method for this set ... Pharoah's Stone ... that is just an amazing deep colour !!!! Thank you in advance!!! http://www.beadwife.com/?a=catalog.p...l&sku=A-013968

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin

Last edited by LemonwoodStudio; 2013-03-30 at 11:40am.
Old 2013-04-10, 7:40am

Thanks Bob, but I am on natural gas. Sometimes I feel like I lampwork in a different world than the rest. Some colors just don't work in NG like they do in propane no matter what you do. Other colors work much better in NG. I've never spent much time on a propane torch (only in classes), but I do think there is a semi-significant difference. Would love to hear opinions from others since sometimes I question if it is my skill that keeps me from achieving some of the colors ... but usually I blame it on the NG LOL!

Old 2013-04-11, 11:36am
What We Think, We Become

Default Bead Release Issues...

Hi all, i'm new to LE.... I've been making beads for a few years, but I don't get the opportunity to get on my torch as often I would like to, mostly due to weather & lack of indoor ventilation.... I'm not as experienced on the torch as I would like to be & I'm having issues with Bead release, every time I use what I currently have it breaks away from the mandrel almost as soon as I apply glass to it.... Any suggestions would be great..... I'm currently working on a Firestarter & have been for the last few yrs, I have a Minor Bench Burner but, I'm waiting to get an oxygen concentrator....
Old 2013-04-11, 6:21pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

What kind of bead release are you using? I would think that it might be too thick, try adding some water to it to thin it out, but very little at a time so you won't over do it, and if you do, leave the lid open and let some of the excess to evaporate.
Old 2013-04-12, 12:45am
What We Think, We Become

It's called Hotline Flame Dri-Release.... I got it from my local glass artist shop.... It is really muddy & sludgy like, it actually seems as thick as mud.... & it's also a real dark graphite color, & most all other bead releases i've seen are white.... I probably haven't used it in maybe six months but it still has water on the surface of it, but the rest of it is as thick as mud, & when you stir it in it doesn't help really....
Old 2013-04-12, 2:20am
Melts glass~makes jewelry

I think Pia nailed the problem. Thin he bead release until it produces a thin coating on the mandrel.

Old 2013-04-12, 4:47am
Another band aid pleeeze

And shake it to mix it up so the water thins out the "sludge" throughout.
Old 2013-04-12, 8:28am
Queen Bee

Default Boro Color

Kalera, this is such a wonderful thread, thank you! Would it be possible to tell me what boro color you used to get such a great fuchsia pink?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1213389...op_home_active

Thanks so much!!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-04-12, 8:41pm
What We Think, We Become

It still seems to flake off even when I water it down.... How many coats should be applied, &, should you flame dry in between coats....
Old 2013-04-12, 11:07pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredHeArt View Post
It still seems to flake off even when I water it down.... How many coats should be applied, &, should you flame dry in between coats....
You shouldn't have to do multiple coats. It should be thin but not watery, thick but not sludgy, and when you dip the mandrel, pull the mandrel straight out slowly in one smooth movement. It should be thick enough so you can't see through it.

Also, in regards to the color, I've seen it anywhere from dark grey to light grey, almost white.

Also, do you heat your bead release-coated mandrel in the flame before you lay on glass? When you heat the mandrel, don't let it cool down again before putting the glass on. I've noticed a decrease in flaking bead release since I started putting the glass it while it's still practically red hot.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-04-13, 2:50am
What We Think, We Become

I try to, but sometimes it flakes from just putting it in the flame, then I usually have to grab a diff mandrel cause so much flakes off...
Old 2013-04-13, 5:26am

If you haven't already tried this, use sandpaper or even a green scrubbie pad to rough-up the surface of your mandrels a bit.
Old 2013-04-13, 6:02am
Wait.....what?

I'd get a different bead release than Hotline. When I used that I had all kinds of issues. Flaking and stuck beads.
Since I've changed brands I don't have those issues.

Old 2013-04-13, 7:26am
I think I could be a bead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayTStudio View Post
I'd get a different bead release than Hotline. When I used that I had all kinds of issues. Flaking and stuck beads.
Since I've changed brands I don't have those issues.
I agree. Your bead release just doesn't sound like it's very good. My two favorite brands are Fusion and Mama G's, but I'm not sure that Mama G's is available any more. Fusion will last through ANYTHING!!!!

Old 2013-04-13, 11:31am

Default Painting with Thompson Enamels on Beads

I saw some older posts about painting with enamels, but wondered if there were anything new on the subject.

I have the whole sample set of Thompson Enamel powders and I'd like to paint with them on my beads. Should I use oil of lavender as a medium? Then, what should I need to know about firing them?

I've tried to find someone who has already had some experience with them, but I haven't had any replies.

Can you point me in a direction that might save me some experimental time?
Old 2013-04-13, 8:10pm
What We Think, We Become

Yeah, I saw that Heather Trimlett uses Fusion, so I think I'm going to go with that next..... Thanks for ALL the help everyone....
Old 2013-04-13, 11:28pm

Mama G's is still available. I bought a bunch a few weeks ago.

Barbara
Old 2013-04-14, 5:34am
I think I could be a bead

Thanks, Barbara!!!

Old 2013-04-23, 1:39pm

There was a link to a pdf version of much of the information Kalera presented in this thread. Does anyone know where it went? The link that I found says the document has been deleted.
-Elaine