TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-07-13, 7:52am
Floral Obsessed

I found an antique kenzan (floral spike frog) a few weeks ago and have been using it - I posted in in the "found treasures" thread. It does work really well! Mine is a 2 1/2" circular one with evenly-spaced (non-concentric) steel spikes and a heavy plastic (bakelite?) base. I use it for surface divots or for lotsa trapped bubbles!

The new ones seem to have metal bases and brass spikes, which should work too. But the round ones look like they have concentric spikes, which would make for less even divots. I bet the long rectangular ones would be best for rolling! -H.
Old 2006-07-13, 8:17am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance
I'll bet it depends on the type of release. What kind of bead release do you use, nivedita? Your mold-making idea sounds like fun!
That's my question too. I tried this to make a squeeze tool when I was too cheap to buy one and it was a mess.
Old 2006-07-13, 1:23pm
Following my Dream

I just finished going through my kitchen drawers and came up with all kinds of cool stuff. I have alot of old S.S. gadgets that belonged to my Grandmother. There is an old granish cutter a tool used to old onions while you cut them, an old ornimental salad spoon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-08-09, 9:00am
FreeAssociatesVeryFreely

Default glass impressions

another item which gives very interesting results is the tool used to grasp fish while you skin then... it is a long plier like tool which has long , wide and flat jaws with deep regular serrations, when you squeeze a bead{and we have all done that} in the teeth of it it gives a lovely textured surface with deep indentations... perfect for using with raku and frits...sporting goods stores carry them.....

Old 2006-08-10, 5:55am
sunscreen me baby

You can get wooden handled wax stamps that work well. nostalgic impressions is an online company I like. here is the page. don't forget to order a handle.
http://www.nostalgicimpressions.com/...assdesigns.asp

Also, I have some thick brass wire you can shape into different things for impressions. Works like a charm!

Great thread!

~

Old 2006-08-20, 7:12am

I love reading this site in the morning to get new inspiration. I just looked in my kitchen drawer of gagets and found a Brass tool from my Grandmother. She used it when making ravioli. It's got a zig-zag wheel on one end and the other has a 1/2 moon zig-zag. I thank you for today's Inspiration
Raven
Old 2006-08-23, 12:21pm

Yep great idea!

I suggested to amy of Zooziis last year that they make inserts that you can put inside of your press to get different impressions...you wouldnt have to buy a new press for each one...just use the insert ...just like you are doing ...
and yep ...great idea now if someone wants to manufacture brass discs that can be put inside of your press....?!

OK you would shape.. press... insert the insert... heat one side ...press and flip and heat the other side and press...(press is a hard word...more gently push...place... etc... )

The difference being a disc would create a raised surface pattern on the bead.

Beads galore at my ebay store!

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2007-01-20, 12:43pm

Dear Anna, i'm a new member here, but i'd like to put in somethin about your new press. It's very neat. I also can't afford a hot finger for my marble, so i made something like that. Use marker to mark the center of a 1/16 mandrel, use roundnose plier to bend like you did, then fold the mandrel in half. You can use this home-made press on both sides of your bead. Mine can hold the marble beautifully. Talk to you later.
Old 2007-01-26, 1:42pm
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chau Nguyen T View Post
Dear Anna, i'm a new member here, but i'd like to put in somethin about your new press. It's very neat. I also can't afford a hot finger for my marble, so i made something like that. Use marker to mark the center of a 1/16 mandrel, use roundnose plier to bend like you did, then fold the mandrel in half. You can use this home-made press on both sides of your bead. Mine can hold the marble beautifully. Talk to you later.
That is a great idea!

Old 2008-10-21, 2:16pm
Isinglass Design

Just marking, great ideas!

Laurie