Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-03-18, 10:02am

Default CBS Dual crunch?

Does any one know how to use this?
Old 2007-03-18, 10:41am
Glass-A-Holic ^..^

I am not sure what this tool looks like, but if it is long and skinny with a dip in the middle like Cattwalk's press you put a lot of glass (depends on the press) in a barrel shape and then just press. Start with just a plain cheap color that way you can add glass if you don't have enough to begin with with.

Another thing to do is to use molding clay first for a trial run. That way you will know exactly how much glass you need!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alaina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-18, 11:17am

Thanks I'll try that!! Anyone else want to add to that?
I would love to hear from you!!
Old 2007-03-18, 12:13pm

I use the Cattwalk crunch. I like to straighten the ends by touching them with a marver while it's hot, so they don't bulge so much. It's a lovely press!

Old 2007-03-18, 3:42pm

I have the Cattwalk press as well and I really like the beads it makes. I have a terrible time, tho, trying to make beads of a like shape and size. I use lots of different color and size rods, and I add stringer designs, so trying to use the same amount of glass is really hard. I have found that by letting the glass cool a little before I press I don't go over the edge as much and make a rim. I would really, really, really love to perfect my skills with this press! I am thinking of ordering a wider/deeper crunch (I have the dual) so that when I use too much glass it could handle it.
Old 2007-03-18, 7:01pm
sunscreen me baby

To get your crunch beads all the same size you need to measure your round bead. To do this you can use another press base cavity or a ruler drawn on your bench. First lay down your footprint, hold it over you ruler and get a measurement. Then add on what you think is the right amount of glass and measure the width with your ruler. Using this technique you can get pretty consistant sized beads.
For pressing I do two things specific to this press. One, I let the glass cool a bit more than other presses. This helps keep the glass from oozing out over the mandrel and keeps the mandrel fairly cented thickness wise. The other is to give it a press press by gently pressing in the base only on each side just to give it some shape assistance. If I find it is too round for my taste I can marver and reheat for a perfect press.

~

Old 2007-03-18, 9:15pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

I use my lentil mold for sizing and make my squeezed beads the shape of a slender lemon. I also shape up the lemon in the lentil mold before pressing in the crunch and wait for the glow to almost be gone in the bead. This gives me the most consistent squeezed shapes.

These are my best selling beads for bracelets because the are so comfortable to wear.
Old 2007-03-19, 7:25am

So what shape do you acually put in the press? round, lemon, barrel?
I really appreciate everyones help on this!
Cyndi
Old 2007-03-19, 7:26am

I use a lemon or American football.

Old 2007-03-19, 7:35am
sunscreen me baby

Yeah, a lemon or football shape is what I use too.

~

Old 2007-03-19, 7:36am
sunscreen me baby

Geeze, I just had a duh moment. Here is a tutorial with pictures:
http://www.cattwalk.com/tutorials/crunch1.htm

~

Old 2007-03-19, 8:16am

Thanks Suzy!, Now that really helped alot!!
Cyndi
Old 2007-03-21, 11:08am
The Andrea Half

I will try the lemon shape. Once I get myself moved, that is! I'd been trying that barrel shape shown in the tutorial, and getting crunches that had ugly ends, bleeding up around the mandrel. A lemon shape will probably fix that problem!

Old 2007-04-01, 4:46am
Scientific Glass Girl

i always use a barrel shape and get pretty consistent looking shapes..

the tutorial on catt's website is very helpful. i hope you start making beautiful crunch beads!