Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2015-03-04, 10:26am
..in withdrawal....

Default Bobcat to Lynx - Worth the Upgrade?

I am considering upgrading from my Bobcat to a Lynx, and am wondering if it is worth making the move. I understand that the Lynx is more versatile, but can anyone point out what I would be able to do better on a Lynx than on a Bobcat?

Thanks!!
Old 2015-03-04, 1:26pm
I fart diamonds

The Bobcat doesn't get the credit it's due. You have a wider range of flame settings with the Lynx and it is hotter, but, IMO, not such a significant difference that I would go from a Bobcat to a Lynx, unless it was a business need. Save your $$ and go to a Scorpion, Sidewinder or Phantom, which are all significantly larger flames.

ETA: Unless you're buying a used Lynx and getting a good deal. In that case, I'd say jump on it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by shawnette; 2015-03-04 at 1:28pm.
Old 2015-03-04, 6:07pm
..in withdrawal....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
The Bobcat doesn't get the credit it's due. You have a wider range of flame settings with the Lynx and it is hotter, but, IMO, not such a significant difference that I would go from a Bobcat to a Lynx, unless it was a business need. Save your $$ and go to a Scorpion, Sidewinder or Phantom, which are all significantly larger flames.

ETA: Unless you're buying a used Lynx and getting a good deal. In that case, I'd say jump on it!
Thanks Shawnette! What would you consider to be a good deal on a used torch?
Old 2015-03-04, 6:40pm

I wanted to upgrade my bobcat but the lynx is too short a jump for a real upgrade, the both have 7 jets.

I called 2 weeks ago to GTT and they have shipped me a cheetah, 13 jets, hotter then the lynx and GTT had a run of then just done. They may have more.

I would love a phantom or mirage but want something I can use my oxygen concentrator with for now.
Old 2015-03-05, 7:08am
..in withdrawal....

I adore my Bobcat, but have a chance on a possible deal on a Lynx. I can't really see any need for me to have too much more firepower over what the Bobcat provides, but thought the Lynx might give me a wider range of flame composition. Just wondering what people feel are the advantages of the wider range and if it's worth a bit more money for those advantages. Also, can I achieve those different flames with 2 5lpm concentrators? Again, I don't think I need a whole lot more heat, just a bit more versatility. Thoughts?
Old 2015-03-05, 8:15am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayG7 View Post
Thanks Shawnette! What would you consider to be a good deal on a used torch?
Around $375 or less, shipped, is a good deal on on a Lynx. Any more than that is about average price for a used one. They sometimes sell for more than new, even.

Quote:
I adore my Bobcat, but have a chance on a possible deal on a Lynx. I can't really see any need for me to have too much more firepower over what the Bobcat provides, but thought the Lynx might give me a wider range of flame composition. Just wondering what people feel are the advantages of the wider range and if it's worth a bit more money for those advantages. Also, can I achieve those different flames with 2 5lpm concentrators? Again, I don't think I need a whole lot more heat, just a bit more versatility. Thoughts?
If you love your Bobcat and just want a little more versatility, then definitely go with the Lynx. The Cheetah is an oxy hog and does not perform well on concentrators but is great on tanked oxy. I traded Cheetah for a Lynx and was much happier with the performance. I've owned and/or used every GTT from the Cricket to the Mirage and the Cheetah is definitely my least favorite. (I've worked on a Mirage & Scorpion and owned the Phantom, Sidewinder, Cheetah, Lynx, Bobcat & Cricket.)

Old 2015-03-05, 8:17am
..in withdrawal....

Awesome - just what I needed to know. Thanks so much, Shawnette!
Old 2015-03-05, 8:57am
da General

Quote:
You will not be happy with the performance of the Lynx with only two 5lpm. With two 5s, I'd stick with the Bobcat.

If you want different flames, I'd recommend looking into a torch with an inner and an outer flame such as the Scorpion and Bethlehem Bravo. But again you need more than two 5lpms to fire up both flames.

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-03-05, 10:34am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
You will not be happy with the performance of the Lynx with only two 5lpm. With two 5s, I'd stick with the Bobcat.

If you want different flames, I'd recommend looking into a torch with an inner and an outer flame such as the Scorpion and Bethlehem Bravo. But again you need more than two 5lpms to fire up both flames.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with this statement. I ran my Lynx on 2 5lpm machines for years. I had 2 Respironics and sometimes, I swapped out 1 for an Invacare. It won't power it at 100% (they don't run the Bobcat at 100%, either), but it will still be hotter than the Bobcat. The Lynx and the Bobcat are close to being the same torch, except the Lynx has the additional oxy access (Triple Mix). Both have 7 ports.

A Bravo performs much worse on the same setup. (Had one of those, too, as well as a Barracuda.) The inner flame (Alpha) is really nice but the outer flame is a flop.

If you add in a holding tank, you'll really be a happy camper. Not as happy as on tanked oxy, but still...

(Boy. I really AM a torch whore...)

Old 2015-03-05, 5:38pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree with this statement. I ran my Lynx on 2 5lpm machines for years. I had 2 Respironics and sometimes, I swapped out 1 for an Invacare. It won't power it at 100% (they don't run the Bobcat at 100%, either), but it will still be hotter than the Bobcat. The Lynx and the Bobcat are close to being the same torch, except the Lynx has the additional oxy access (Triple Mix). Both have 7 ports.

A Bravo performs much worse on the same setup. (Had one of those, too, as well as a Barracuda.) The inner flame (Alpha) is really nice but the outer flame is a flop.

If you add in a holding tank, you'll really be a happy camper. Not as happy as on tanked oxy, but still...

(Boy. I really AM a torch whore...)
If you read my post, I did mention that to use both inner and outer rings of the Bravo, Kay needs more oxycons that she currently has. So I don't know what you are disagreeing about.

We will just have to agree to disagree on the Lynx. Using two 5lpms for a Lynx and utilizing a fraction of its power while she already has a Bobcat is waste of money, IMHO.

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-03-05, 10:27pm
Fried Cat

I run a Lynx. I know some folks are extremely happy with it and can tweak it to provide a multitude of flame types.

I am not one of them. I've had my Lynx for four years. It *sucks* for fine detail work IMO. The flame is not bushy, there's not a great deal of ambient heat. If your bead is out of the flame, it's going to crack if you're not careful. I know that's true of all torches, but I guess the best I can describe it is imagine a ball, and then imagine an flattened oval. The Lynx's heat runs very oval shaped. I can make hairline stringers on other torches. It is next to impossible on the Lynx. You're in the heat or you're out of it. Period. I have never found a sweet spot on my torch unless I turn the flame down so tiny, it's impossible to keep the temperature enough to prevent cracking.

I tried the Nortel torches at the Gathering last year. I personally would suggest the Mid-Range or Red Max Surface Mix.
Old 2015-03-05, 10:28pm
Fried Cat

I'm running tanked btw. FWIW
Old 2015-03-12, 8:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGA View Post
I run a Lynx. I know some folks are extremely happy with it and can tweak it to provide a multitude of flame types.

I am not one of them. I've had my Lynx for four years. It *sucks* for fine detail work IMO. The flame is not bushy, there's not a great deal of ambient heat. If your bead is out of the flame, it's going to crack if you're not careful. I know that's true of all torches, but I guess the best I can describe it is imagine a ball, and then imagine an flattened oval. The Lynx's heat runs very oval shaped. I can make hairline stringers on other torches. It is next to impossible on the Lynx. You're in the heat or you're out of it. Period. I have never found a sweet spot on my torch unless I turn the flame down so tiny, it's impossible to keep the temperature enough to prevent cracking.

I tried the Nortel torches at the Gathering last year. I personally would suggest the Mid-Range or Red Max Surface Mix.
The Lynx can easily provide ALL of the flame types you suggest it's lacking and much more. You just have to learn how to work with it.
Old 2015-03-12, 10:17am

My cheetah got here and Iv run it through the paces.

It makes a nice big hot bushy flame to a pointy flame like the end of a sharp pencil.

The 13 jets kicks the crap out of the 7 jets. I can get lots more done with it.

I made some pipes and a 1-3/4 marble and im on a 8 LPM 15psi oxycon but will hook it to tanked to run it for a while but its plenty hot on the oxycon..

Im very happy with it.
Old 2015-03-12, 11:10am
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
The Lynx can easily provide ALL of the flame types you suggest it's lacking and much more. You just have to learn how to work with it.
I've heard that several times. But nobody ever could follow through with that.

Okay, so how do I work with it?
Old 2015-03-12, 4:03pm

Quote:

Aside from suggesting you do a search at talkglass.com and watching the videos from both GTT and users on YouTube, I would have to be sitting at the torch with you. Anyone local to you use one that would be willing to work with you?
Old 2015-03-12, 4:48pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Aside from suggesting you do a search at talkglass.com and watching the videos from both GTT and users on YouTube, I would have to be sitting at the torch with you. Anyone local to you use one that would be willing to work with you?

Nobody I know uses Lynx. But I'll google talk glass if they discuss it in depth. I know it's a fine torch. I love how clean it burns, but large beads that I work with usually crack because to use fine work, I have to a very tiny flame or it melts. In that case, I usually have thermal cracks due to the flame being narrow, not bushy. Working to the left for stringer, it feels too cold. I haven't found that honey spot.

I've been strongly considering a foot pedal to go from large flame to reheat, to small flame for fine detail.
Old 2015-03-12, 5:19pm
da General

Quote:

Shardi, what you are referring to is radiant heat. The radiant heat on torches with bushier flame (e.g., Mini CC) does help with stringer work for it gives you a bigger "sweet spot" area. Yes, it's still possible to use a Lynx for stringer worker but you are not wrong in saying that the sweet spot area is very small which makes it much harder to master. Holly Cooper uses a hot head torch and it provides the largest sweet spot area thus a perfect torch for her stringer work.

|
|
|
|