No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2005-06-25, 1:20pm
Boldly going

Default Looking to share studio space Milwaukee area

Hi everyone. I'm located in Cedarburg, WI just north of Milwaukee. I'm looking for cheap studio space in Milwaukee area or North suburbs, or Cedarburg would be perfect. I'm currently using a Minor Burner but desperately want to upgrade equipment to do Boro, large marbles, and glassblowing. This all requires "real" studio space with proper ventillation, liquid Oxygen, etc. I plan on buying a Lynx or Phantom, building proper ventillation, new kiln, glory hole, maybe a crucible furnace, custom built workbenches, etc.

Anyone interested in sharing space and splitting costs? It could be a sweet deal for both of us. Share equipment, space, and costs.

Please PM if you are interested or have any leads on cheap & safe studio space.

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2005-06-29, 4:39pm
lucy lou derickson

Anakin,

hi! i'm from milwaukee too! i work wih boro on a phantom and i LOVE it. it's the perfect size for me right now, and for a long time too. unfortuantly i don't have any space because my shop is in my basemant with not enough room for two.. but i wish you luck in finding a roomie. sorry i can't be of any more help. mostly i just just wanted to send a shout out to ya!!

Lucy derickson
Old 2005-06-29, 8:16pm
Dildo Kween!

Hey Girls!
Just so you know, my Daughter is also a lampworker and will attend MIAD this fall. She might want to hook up! She's also looking for off-street parking space in the 3rd Ward if either of you know of any.

Heidi
Washington Island WI

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Old 2005-07-01, 7:21pm
Boldly going

Good luck with parking.

MIAD is wonderful. I lived in the third ward for 4.5 years (before everything went condo) and I loved it. Does MIAD offer anything to do with glassblowing? I've never checked but that would be a great idea.

I've looked at the Arts building. Its an old warehouse building full of artists at the corner of Philladelphia St. and S. 2nd Street. Long ago I was looking for studio space to share with a friend. She left town, yada, yada, yada, and I'm again looking for space cause I'd like to start getting serious about my art. So anyway, maybe youz guyz would consider converging into a space somewhere?

I'm also looking into studio space in Cedarburg in the old Cedarburg Mill. Five floors of virtually unused prime loft space, etc., etc., etc. If the owners are interested I'm considering renting one or two floors and setting up an artists Co-op. Everybody splits the costs, and shares the space. It could be amazing. Then again, the fire department could just say no way! I have a lot of research to do and questions to ask. It seems I'm rambling on and on, so I'll shut up.

Keep it lit and feed it fuel!

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

|
|
|
Old 2005-07-14, 3:20pm
Yup.

Hi guys! MIAD doesn't offer any warm/hot glass instruction, but... You should know about Ring of Fire at 820 South Water Street. You can rent studio time there. It's just a torch set up, but with nice big torches. I'm in Oshkosh, but was at a torch night there after the Bead and Button show. Nice. I'll be giving into beadmaking classes at the JCY while I'm artist in residence and will surely rent some big torch time while I'm in MKE.

Pura vida,
JC

~
~
Old 2005-07-14, 10:14pm
Boldly going

I was at the Flame Off too, for about 5 hours. Cool stuff. Great setup too. I was unaware of the rental opportunity. I'll have to look into it. I don't know if it's a feasible/economical way to work, but it would be great to test run the big boy torches for an hour or two, here and there, before investing in a bigger torch. I just got my Lynx setup and need to grow into that before I move up.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

|
|
|
Old 2005-07-15, 10:31am
Yup.

I'm almost certain that someone said you could rent time there, but maybe not? We'll have to see. Jude and I were at the torch off for a couple of hours but it was turning into a long day. I think we left before 8:30. I loved it though. It was totally great to be with so many glass people!

JC

~
~
Old 2005-07-18, 6:18pm
lucy lou derickson

hi gals,
i'm pretty certain that ROF will rent space, i know they've done it before. but i'm not so sure of them renting out their torches... i'm not sure what there prices are either. they do classes i'm certain.
i was at the flamm off too. i actully participated in the first round. i got my self all nervous so i just made a small earing pendant set. but next year i'm gonna make something way cooler!!
Anakin your studio seems like a really awsome idea. i hope that you are able to pull it off. i would love to come and play around with some other people once in a while.

__lucy lou___
Old 2005-07-19, 7:34pm
Boldly going

I was at Ring of Fire today buying some tube and rod. I asked Devin about the "rent" question and basically they do not rent time in the studio. Closest they come to letting people on the equipment is when conducting a class. I totally understand why someone would not make their stuff available for public use. It would be a nightmare for many reasons (imagine letting a complete stranger in your own studio, to use your stuff - NOT!). I am aware of a few places that do it, one in Northbrook, ILL, but I'm sure they are specifically set up to facilitate it and they have many rules, conditions, and etc.

|
|
|