No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-03-11, 3:49pm
Rare Florida Native

Default Exhaust fan help

Okay I have to be honest and say I need some help.

I have read everything I can find posted about ventilation. And I still cannot figure out what type of exhaust fan to buy.

A friend who works at a heating & cooling company is going to build me a bench top box from stainless steel - nothing hanging but sitting on my bench on my ceramic bench top. I have a Lynx.

The box will be 2.5 ft wide, 2 ft. deep, and 2.5 ft tall. What type exhaust model do I buy to vent out. The only 90 will be above my box to the wall which when the box is on my bench will be about 1.5 feet away. Compact studio!

I am showing two pictures of my bench. The exhaust will vent out the side wall of the studio to the left. One picture shows my whole bench with the south facing window.

My fresh air intake will be from the second room in my studio
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-03-11, 4:30pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Why not move things to right a bit and vent directly out window....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-03-11, 5:17pm
Rare Florida Native

Good question.

It is the ONLY window in my building and I really like to look out it when I am working

It is a southerly view. The winds here in the UP come out of the NW usually in the winter and my wall exhaust will be on the east side.

I plan on placing the exhaust - when I found out what I should buy.... - permanently installed in the wall. I have looked on Grainger's site but have no clue what to buy. I like to do things once - hate buying something only to find out I should have bought something else.

The bench top hood will be able to be removed and my bench used for my other interests such as stained glass, fusing, etc.

The studio was a one time a two room sauna - and I have converted it to my my studio. The window was put in last summer by my husband.
Attached Images

Old 2007-03-11, 10:01pm

Not on the exhaust issue...but I think your 30" width for your box may be a little tight. Mine is 36" and I wish I had made it 40". Also, at my dad's suggestion I made mine with acrylic sheet (I would only do this with a secured torch). It was a bit of a pain to put together but I love the fact that it lets the ambient light in. Here's a picture:

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Old 2007-03-12, 4:06am
Rare Florida Native

Thanks Terri for the great idea! I will look into that and the extra width.
I like your setup.

(and the Bullseye will be on the way to you soon!)

Old 2007-03-12, 8:15am
Gentleman of Leisure

Actually teankisi's solution is very applicable in your case... Clear acrylic hood and fan mounted in clear sheet in window preserves your view...

But if not, your 30 inch X 30 inch hood has a face opening of 900 square inches... Divided by 144 square inched (per square foot)... gives you a 6.5 square foot opening, this multiplied by 100cfm per square foot suggests you need a fan of about 650cfm on you hood. Yes you can place a 90 deg. bend on it and vent it out the side wall of studio...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-03-12, 7:59pm
Rare Florida Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Actually teankisi's solution is very applicable in your case... Clear acrylic hood and fan mounted in clear sheet in window preserves your view...

But if not, your 30 inch X 30 inch hood has a face opening of 900 square inches... Divided by 144 square inched (per square foot)... gives you a 6.5 square foot opening, this multiplied by 100cfm per square foot suggests you need a fan of about 650cfm on you hood. Yes you can place a 90 deg. bend on it and vent it out the side wall of studio...

Dale
Thanks for the great advice!
I will post a picture of the installation once we are done. I am looking at a 700 cfm exhaust and will more than likely vent out the wall.

Old 2007-05-29, 3:32pm

Does anyone out there have a box enclosure to share... Pics
lol, MarieAnn
Old 2007-07-21, 6:52pm
Rare Florida Native

Okay here is the picture of the exhaust setup I have installed.

It has been working like a champ but I had to figure out how to use my new iMac and new picture editing software.....THANKS HAYLEY!!!!!! for the excellent instructions.

I also posted pictures of my entire studio setup in the "Studio" thread if anyone would care to look.

This hood was made by a local heating and cooling company for $150,has a inline exhaust which we put in the wall (4x4 cedar log construction) with chimney liner as the duct work. I had a tight space to work it and it worked out perfectly.

I originally thought I would have to move the hood to do stained glass, fusing, etc. but it is perfect for me standing at the bench....I don't hit my head and it hangs permanently.

My studio was once a "sauna"......................

Last edited by C-Ann; 2007-07-21 at 6:55pm. Reason: typo
Old 2007-07-21, 7:06pm

Great looking set up!! What kind of exhaust fan did you end up getting?

Jeanette

Like my Facebook Page, Please
Old 2007-07-21, 8:50pm
Rare Florida Native

I bought a Continental inline fan - model #AXC200B - 636 CFM.

I found it online at HVAC Solutions Direct (hvacsolutionsdirect.com) The fan was $187.27......a deal! You can fill out their "contractor" form and to get the discount.

The local heating and cooling contractor charged me $150.00 to make the hood and $22.00 for the 6 ft. of flexible chimney liner. The exhaust cover on the outside of the studio to cover the hole was $23.00 from the local building supply company - we don't have Home Depot or Lowes here in the North Woods. We put fine window screen over the hole first then the cover - no bugs and no mice.........

Old 2007-07-22, 10:39am

Thank you Charlotte,
The photos are wonderful, glad you got your ventilation. Wow!
Old 2007-08-06, 1:09pm

I have a setup like teankisi's, a window in front of the torch with an exaust fan in the top of the window. I don't have a box around the work area like that. Is it necessary to have that if the air goes right out the window? Everything I've been reading on here seems to say I need a hood, but I didn't think I needed one if I had an exhaust fan right above the torch going out the window. Have I been stupid in thinking that? Your opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 2007-08-06, 1:28pm

Brie, yes - you need some kind of enclosure. There's lots of info here on LE about what you need. Also see the thread that was started this morning about the woman who is having breathing problems..... You have to keep yourself safe.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2007-08-06, 2:09pm

Brie, have you done a smoke test? My experience is that there is always something escaping if you don't have some way of traping the fumes and funneling them to the exhaust fan. After 30 years of working with dangerous chemicals and biologicals, I really feel that an enclosure is the best way to stay safe.