Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-11-01, 6:19pm
HourGlass Studio

Default Boro clear and frit - what can be done ???

Okay I would love to know what cool things can be done with coro clear rod and colored frit. I would love some tips and color combos. Looking for whispy colors.

Thanks so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-01, 7:26pm

Just check out the various boro galleries in this room. Most of us use a ton of frit.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-11-01, 10:51pm
HourGlass Studio

I have looked thru ALL the galleries. Mostly I see a colored as the base with frit. Or no frit identification, and thats okay. I dont expect everyone to tell what they used every post.

I guess what I am asking is can you get some cool reactions or color with just clear bases and frit as your only color ? Would you need to mix frit or could you just use a single color of frit ?

Old 2006-11-02, 5:02am
boro color bender

Lay down a base of clear... roll in various frits. Then encase with clear again. If you post a list of what frit you have, I can help with a combo or two.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-11-02, 9:44am

Here are some pics of frit stuff.

First pic - various non striking blues, orange, yellow, and red frits
secound pic - various non-striking blue frits
third pic - Verdi Frit mix backed with various other frit colors.
fourth pic - DAP small frit imploded and twisted - haven't been able to recreate tis one yet.
Attached Images

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-11-02, 10:39am
ManBearPig

Here's one easy thing to do with frit and clear...

http://www.soleiletlune.com/tutorial...n-pendant.html

Old 2006-11-02, 10:56am
HourGlass Studio

Awsome thanks everyone !!! I just bought some of Paulas frit to play with so this excites me.

Chad most excellent tutorial.

Thanks everyone. Really !!! See I thought that most people were using a colored rod as their base. I wasnt 100% sure that anything magical could be done just using frit.

Paula and Kay gave me a lot of great info via PM and email also - thanks ladies !!!!

Last edited by Laurie L; 2006-11-02 at 10:58am.
Old 2006-11-02, 11:00am
ManBearPig

As the saying goes... "I'm a glass blower and my favorite color is clear".

Just about everything I make is mostly clear. Even solid color marbles and beads. They start out as a clear base then have color added on top.

Old 2006-11-02, 11:09am
HourGlass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Lay down a base of clear... roll in various frits. Then encase with clear again. If you post a list of what frit you have, I can help with a combo or two.
Just bought some of Paulas sampler frits. A friend gave me some NS clear and NS extra light yellow. Searching for NS Blue Moon frit - my fav boro color at this time. I am sure that will change and I will love them all. LOL.

I would love it if you just posted some combos that really rock and I can find the frit or what color rod I need after. Thanks Brent - really appreciate your help.

Old 2006-11-02, 11:12am
HourGlass Studio

I just have to say - This is so cool !!! Boro was what attracted me to lampworing. I love the look. I should have just jumped in head first at the start. OH well - live and learn right.

Old 2006-11-02, 11:13am
I'm a lilac!

If you get some orange or ruby powder, a lot of frit colors look fantastic on top of that, encased. Also, try picking up some frit on the tip of your clear rod and making a bead - you get a wispy look from that.

Old 2006-11-02, 11:14am
ManBearPig

Blue Moon is perhaps one of my favorite colors of frit. You can get a lot of different effects out of it, and since it's cobalt-based, it doesn't boil.

GA Purple Luster is a great color. Gives a nice purple even when encased with very little effort.

I like clear frit over any striking color (Amber/Purple and Solara being two of my favorites). Also try clear over NS Butterscotch/Caramel, or GA Silver Strike 3/5.

Yellow frit over a striking color like Amber/Purple is always a favorite too.

I also like Butterscotch frit over black.

Basically, any striking color looks good with clear frit. And striking color frits look good over most anything. About the only colors of frit I don't use very often are non-striking transparent colors. They just don't look like much to me, unless you use them in conjunction with fuming.

Old 2006-11-02, 11:59am
HourGlass Studio

Ooooh more Grrrreat information Chad. Thanks so much

Old 2006-11-02, 12:04pm
ManBearPig

Oh, and a little shameless self promotion here...

Purple Luster, Clear, and Butterscotch frit are the three colors included in the Boro Beginner's Pack we just started selling on our site...

Old 2006-11-02, 1:54pm
HourGlass Studio

Yes I have been looking at your starter packs. hehe