LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-15, 2:46pm

Default My lentils are too SMALL to decorate!

Maybe this topic has come up a million times on this forum but I can't really find anything on here that speaks to this specifically. I have a graduated lentil press from Cattwalk, the largest cavity being about 19.3 mm.
My stringer control is good for scrolls, but when it comes to applying scrolls to lentils, it just doesn't look that great. Am I the only one with this problem?
I don't know why it didn't dawn on me before, but I just realized that I don't have a large enough lentil press to make beads large enough to really decorate attractively, unless I just do simple melted in dots or wraps.
I was never really a focal person, but I really think I like a larger size lentil, maybe a whole set of them!
Is 26 mm (about 1") too large? It just seems like this size would give me more surface area to work with, and thus more attractive stringer work!

I'd really like to know if anyone else has a hard time decorating the lentils that are 19mm and smaller or is it once again just me? I guess that is my main question.
Old 2011-01-15, 3:00pm
Hobby Junkie

I just got a bead in an exchange that was 2" in diameter. Go as large as you need. I have a 29 mm press from CoonVally that I paid around $25 for. I love it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-15, 3:01pm
Melting

I don't decorate anything under 18mm. In fact, I don't even make anything under 18mm unless it's a round (orb) bead. I prefer the 21mm+ size for flatter beads because it gives more surface area. I don't really get why so many presses have such small cavities, because I'll be darned if I can make use of them! For me, the ideal press would be 18, 21, 25+. I turn away from a lot of presses for that very reason. I just don't want to press a bead and leave it alone; I want to have room to add whatever on top.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20

Last edited by tnehlers; 2011-01-15 at 3:03pm.
Old 2011-01-15, 3:12pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I think it varies from person to person. I'm not particularly fond of making large beads. You can certainly decorate more when you have more space, and a thicker stringer is easier to control than a thinner stringer, but's infinitely possible to decorate smaller lentils if that's what you like doing.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-01-15, 4:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnehlers View Post
I don't decorate anything under 18mm. In fact, I don't even make anything under 18mm unless it's a round (orb) bead. I prefer the 21mm+ size for flatter beads because it gives more surface area. I don't really get why so many presses have such small cavities, because I'll be darned if I can make use of them! For me, the ideal press would be 18, 21, 25+. I turn away from a lot of presses for that very reason. I just don't want to press a bead and leave it alone; I want to have room to add whatever on top.
My sentiments, exactly!
I'm finding that anything under 21 mm is probably too small for me. I am always looking at other people's lentils, not really paying attention to the size they have listed and wondering why I can't make mine look as good as theirs. Then the aha! moment.....it's because theirs are probably twice as big in diameter as mine!
Old 2011-01-15, 4:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
I just got a bead in an exchange that was 2" in diameter. Go as large as you need. I have a 29 mm press from CoonVally that I paid around $25 for. I love it!
That is one honking big bead! About CoonValley presses, are they as easy to use as Cattwalk presses? I can make perfect lentils, I just can't decorate them properly because of not enough surface to work with, and I can't make myself NOT decorate them LOL!
Old 2011-01-15, 4:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
I think it varies from person to person. I'm not particularly fond of making large beads. You can certainly decorate more when you have more space, and a thicker stringer is easier to control than a thinner stringer, but's infinitely possible to decorate smaller lentils if that's what you like doing.
I can wrap them with stringer, add dots, silver them, encase them....oh and I LOVE etching them and enameling them. But when it comes to making them look really dressed up well, it just doesn't look right when I try--- because they're just too freaking small. I'm thinking I'll just get a larger 1" press to make more decorative lentils, and use the small cattwalk cavities to make accent lentils to go with the larger ones. Does anyone else do it like that?
Old 2011-01-15, 11:45pm
Corgi Cult Member

Are you using purchased stringer, or making your own? I find purchased stringer far too thick for my taste, plus I can decorate far smaller beads with thinner stringer. That being said, I love making huge beads! Cori, was that 2" exchange bead from me?

Old 2011-01-16, 12:29am

From the point of view of a jewelry artist, I love the smaller beads. Even simply done, sometimes especially simply done. To me, the smaller beads are either backdrops to the focal, or to be part of a harmonious blend.
I do understand the desire to make small decorative pieces, but find them to be less useful in practical application. I have made really tiny, decorative beads that never quite made it onto a piece of jewelry...I wonder if it is because the tiny details are lost as soon as you step back from the bead?
In answer to your question, my thought is a one inch focal would be a lovely size, and even a bit bigger would be good. (Keep in mind I work small!) There are many people who would love focals bigger still!
You could then make use of the smaller press to make accents to the focals in coordinating colors. However to me, a 19mm lentil would probably be just the right size to incorporate in bracelets. Anyway, these are just my thoughts, and I hope it helps.
Would love to see what you do with the lentils!
And from the point of view of a hobbyist lampworker, I have to admit that I've had my eye on a "mini" press for a while now, but don't know if I'm ready to get that involved. Lampworking is supposed to be a hobby, not an obsession!
Old 2011-01-16, 5:26am

Kathy, I use my own stringers because I like to pull them really thin. don't get me wrong I can decorate smaller beads with stringer, but I LOVE scrollwork and I just think it would look better if the bead were larger to make the scrollwork more involved.
And Seedbead, I totally agree with you on the smaller beads being a filler. I've been working with small beads for so long now I've got decorating them down pat and I'm ready to go larger!
I just realized, I've been on here over two years and I've never posted any pics of my beads. But then, I haven't even started SELLING any of my beads yet.
Old 2011-01-16, 6:20am
Hobby Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy View Post
That is one honking big bead! About CoonValley presses, are they as easy to use as Cattwalk presses? I can make perfect lentils, I just can't decorate them properly because of not enough surface to work with, and I can't make myself NOT decorate them LOL!
I love the CoonVally press. It's similar to using a Zoozi's press, but it's heavier, so it almost does the pressing in it's own. The pins are really long, so I usually don't even take the top totally off. Just lift it and line the bead up. It was my very first press and had almost no learning curve.

Old 2011-01-16, 8:17am
Peerless Thread Killer

I was lucky enough to get 2 CoonVally presses. Both lentils-1 is 28mm and one is 31 mm. They are wonderful to use, but unfortunately, he slowed his toolmaking due to health reasons. However, he has some on ebay right now!
http://crafts.shop.ebay.com/Glass-Mo...=p3911.c0.m282

Old 2011-01-16, 9:09am

I'm just curious, what does a bead look like pressed with a 26mm x 8mm lentil press? Does it have nice thin sides -- and is it about as big around as a quarter, or bigger?
Old 2011-01-16, 9:31am
Peerless Thread Killer

The 28mm lentil does have nice thin sharp edges and it's 1.1 inches wide.

Old 2011-01-17, 4:47am
Help i am on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
I love the CoonVally press. It's similar to using a Zoozi's press, but it's heavier, so it almost does the pressing in it's own. The pins are really long, so I usually don't even take the top totally off. Just lift it and line the bead up. It was my very first press and had almost no learning curve.
i have the coonvally large lentil, EXCELLENT and PRICES ARE EXCELLENT!