Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-04-06, 8:21am

Talking Minor torch newbie question-flame size/appearance???HELP!!

Hi everyone! This is the first post I have made since joining the group-I have been melting glass for about 8 months and just got a minor after using a HH. I LOVE it...but my flame seems to want to have this little feathery looking tip on the end that curves upward. Is that OK or am I doing something wrong? I don't remember what the neutral flame looked like when I worked with my instructor. I am using an oxygen concentrator set on 4.5 lpm and bottled propane. I set the propane pressure up to 8 psi this morning and turned up the oxy and that made a slight difference and the flame was nice and hot. I want to make sure I don't melt my torch into an amorphous lump or blow myself up. I would really appreciate any/all info and advice or even pics of what the neutral minor flame is supposed to look like. THANKS in advance-Vanessa
Old 2006-04-06, 8:32am

Hi Vanessa nice to meet you!

A Minor flame on an oxycon looks a little different than on bottled 02. I run mine with the Oxycons set at 4 (purer 02 that way...this reading has nothing to do with pressure just pruity) and the propane regulator set at about 3.

Be sure you have no leaks on either the propane or the oxycon connections/lines.

A flame that tips upward usually means it is a weak flame or perhaps your ventilation is pulling the flame that way. Do you have very strong ventilation?

The inner cones are what tell you wether you have a neutral flame or not. They should be about 1/4 to 3/8 inches long and they will usually have a little yellow at the tips when running on 1 oxycon. Is your oxycon a 5 lpm machine? This makes a difference. If it is a bigger machine, or your running your torch on 2 oxycons then your tips will have less yellow.

Hope this helped some!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-06, 8:40am

Unhappy Thanks for the help!

Checked for leaks-found none. Do you think maybe there is something wrong with my oxycon (It is an AirSep 5L machine) ??? Seems to be fine but I did think the flame seemed stronger when I used a minor at a class. Is it supposed to "rush" strongly out of the ports and have a pointy tip? I am just so used to the HH being like a dang flamethrower and all the noise that I feel like something is missing with this minor-maybe I just have to ADJUST HAHA!
Old 2006-04-06, 8:49am

The 02 coming out of your torch with the AirSep will feel like a gentle little puff....no rushing or noise like with bottled 02.

I also switched from a HH to a Minor and Oxycon (about 18 months ago) and I was also suprised at how quiet the Minor is! I loved it after the flame thrower HH.

Sounds like everything is running fine for you. Try setting the Oxycon between 3.5 - 4 for the better purity and the propane at 3. Give that a whirl and see if you can't get the kind of inner cones I described. Your flame will not be a "forceful" as it would be on tanked 02 nor as hot but it will be much hotter then the HH. Enjoy the new silence!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-06, 9:05am

Thumbs up I feel better now!

THANKS CHARLENE!!! I really appreciate your taking the time to help me-I'll go play glass now Vanessa
Old 2006-04-07, 8:09am
Gentleman of Leisure

Here is picture of what ideal Neutral" flame for a Minor torch should look like...

I would like to credit picture to person who produced it, but I do not know who is source of picture.

If you can achieve this sort of flame, you pretty much have perfect flame for most bead work.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-04-07, 11:06am

Thumbs up Thanks, Dale!

Hi Dale-thanks so much for posting that pic-I am a very "visual" learner so that really helps!! -Vanessa
Old 2006-04-07, 11:15am
Safety ALWAYS

And just a note on that picture, there is way too much "torch" sticking out of the heat shield -- Nortel recommends no more than about 1/4", and usually about 1/8" of tubing exposed. What you are seeing is about 1/2" or so.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-04-07, 11:20am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.
Here is picture of what ideal Neutral" flame for a Minor torch should look like...

I would like to credit picture to person who produced it, but I do not know who is source of picture.

If you can achieve this sort of flame, you pretty much have perfect flame for most bead work.

Dale
Hey. That's my hand!

Oh, and about the amount of torch sticking out, the Nortel salesman I talked to said that heat shield isn't even functional anyways (it doesn't contact the tube very much at all). He said that when they started making them, they didn't put the heat shield on them, and nobody bought them. They put the heat shield on, and they sold like crazy. They still don't put one on the MidRange and Major with Minor tops...

Last edited by Cosmo; 2006-04-07 at 11:28am.
Old 2011-01-23, 10:29am
Help i am on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post

Dale

is this how close you should work to the flame. i am new and i am working far out. but this person is close is that okay?
Old 2011-01-29, 11:09am
Curmudgeon Engineering

If that's Cosmo's hand he's probably working boro. Lots of boro workers work this close in on occasion. Not recommended for soft glass.