Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-11-06, 7:58pm
Phragile Glasswerks

Dang Onekura thats nice! Me likey!
Old 2013-11-07, 12:04am

Holy Bernard the scales are great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-11-07, 12:09pm

Some new fumes.
Attached Images

Old 2013-11-08, 12:16am
Bernhard Riegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlando1 View Post
OK Bernard, now you have to make a fumed dragons eye in a compression flower. Oh yeah, and w/ an opal in it, while hopping on one foot. Nice pendant by the way.
Dave
Hi Dave - this one is for you - minus the opal (didn't have one) and I am hopping on 1 foot, because I got some phoenix palm spike in my foot and it is super big and painful. The eye takes the view of the flower and the whole thing does not work, but I thought . . . for the fun of it . . .

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Last edited by Onekura; 2013-12-13 at 6:47pm.
Old 2013-11-08, 7:30am

Bravo! My hat's off to you. That is too funny! Sorry to hear about your foot. Hope you're up and hopping on both feet soon.
Old 2013-11-08, 10:22pm
Bernhard Riegler

Thank you very much, but the whole thing was for fun only. I thought about it and just wanted to give it a try. This should not even be in here as it is not fumed, so take it as a joke please

Old 2013-11-11, 9:32am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onekura View Post
Thank you very much, but the whole thing was for fun only. I thought about it and just wanted to give it a try. This should not even be in here as it is not fumed, so take it as a joke please
Now, you just need to etch "BIC" on the side of your torch! Glad you had fun with the joke.

I wish I had something to add to this fume thread. I have the chunk of silver, I just don't have any ventilation so I'm not getting the silver anywhere near the flame.

-BEP
Old 2013-11-18, 9:23am

Some from the weekend. The last two are the same. One shot inside, one outside.
Dave
Attached Images

Old 2013-11-18, 2:35pm
Always learnin' & yearnin

ok I have a question. I am not getting much colors when I fume.... I use silver. Are you guys fuming them adding something on top of the fume? every once in a while I will get a yellow or slight smoke tint but that is only when I fume really heavy and them swirl it all up. can anyone point me to some good tuts or videos???

Old 2013-11-18, 2:39pm
Marble Lover

What is the purity percentage on the silver you are using? Are you accidentally burning it off when you're done the fume?

Here's an older thread here on LWE:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1200

-BEP
Old 2013-11-18, 2:42pm

I bought a bunch of 99 pure silver coins (the walking liberties) I use a reducing flame until I am sure that the fume is encased or covered. but when all is said and done most of the time it is gone..... here is an example I fumed last night. this pendant was suppose to have a fumed symbol inside. it all but disappeared ???? just an empty pendant now.
Name:  pendant.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  46.4 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepnewt View Post
What is the purity percentage on the silver you are using? Are you accidentally burning it off when you're done the fume?

Here's an older thread here on LWE:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1200

-BEP

Old 2013-11-18, 3:34pm

Hey Dragonlite, when you ask if we are putting anything on top of the fume, do you mean anything other than clear glass (Dots, lines, etc.). If you are fuming that heavy, you should get really white looking implosions. The lighter you go, the less of this effect you get. This is an example of just silver fume. Hope this helps.
Dave
Attached Images

Old 2013-11-18, 4:01pm

Nice piece dlando1! I have been trying clear dots lines etc I have even tried other striking colors... I am at a total loss!

Old 2013-11-18, 5:15pm
Bernhard Riegler

you might be working it too hot-even encased you can still burn it out and be left with an empty pendant. Try working further out from the torch and don't get too hot. Once the silver is encased, it is not sensitive to flame chemistry any more. But when you fume it on, have your work piece nice and hot and fume until you see a caramel looking tint. Don't forget, you are actually burning the silver to get fume - maybe use a bigger flame?

Old 2013-11-18, 5:15pm
Bernhard Riegler

and nice fumes, Dave

Old 2013-11-18, 6:08pm

I have been lamp working for about 4 months now. I did this Sea Turtle inspired by this thread and MaryK's flower implosion turtle. Hopefully the picture made it. It is my first try to post a pic. This was done with .999 silver wire. The red is some frit showing through from the turtle's belly side. My original fumed rod was amber/carmel colored before adding the clear to protect. Are the ambers and greens and blues I am seeing in pieces on this thread from combining silver and gold?
Attached Images

Old 2013-11-18, 7:19pm
Bernhard Riegler

silver has a wide range of colours. Fumed lightly it makes a blue - fumed heavy ends up being white. When you mix silver and gold fume you get greens - with less or more you can almost get the whole spectrum of colours - that's why we are so over the moon, when the colours turn out great - it does not always happen the way we want. Also, stretching or compressing changes the outcome. Silver fume on the inside of a tube melted in will give you different colours than outside work, because when you melt the tube to solid the fume gets compressed and looks almost red with greens and blues - look at post #17 - there you see pretty much every colour you can get from silver fume.

Old 2013-11-18, 8:02pm

Thanks for the tip Bernhard. I did not realize compression could also change the color. I'm not sure about post #17. Post #46 of the fume worked 'spoon' shows a pretty wide spectrum of color. I have not played with tube yet.
Old 2013-11-18, 9:37pm

I tried it again and before I put it into the kiln I caught a glimpse of a bluish color. I turned my oxy way down and fumed the crud out of it, placed a few clear dots around imploded just a bit and backed it with onyx black. I think that worked some for me but time will tell when I pull it out of the kiln. I will post pics either way in the morning.

Old 2013-11-18, 10:27pm
Bernhard Riegler

can't wait to see them - we have you fuming like a pro in no time

Old 2013-11-18, 10:32pm
Bernhard Riegler

I have a Barracuda from Bethlehem and when I fume silver, I use the center flame only and I adjust my flame to the very center flame about 18mm long and the ring of flames arround it to about 5-6mm - if this helps. For gold I have my flame hissing with oxy. Hope this makes sense - if not I can take pictures of my different flame settings.

Old 2013-11-19, 5:38am
Pyromaniac

I'd like to see what you're doing, Bernhard. I use much bigger flames for fuming silver than you've described, based on watching several videos. Whatever you're doing is working well though, maybe I can learn something!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2013-11-19, 7:28am

I am working on a Scorpion with concentrators, didn't think about using the inner fire like that. Might see if that makes a difference for me. ?.

Here are the 2 that I did last night still not getting something right. ?
Name:  galaxy.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  20.7 KB

Name:  hurricane.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  29.6 KB

Old 2013-11-19, 12:19pm
Bernhard Riegler

it is very hard to take a photo of a flame, but I hope you can see it. This is the flame I use for silver fuming. You can see the center flame being way longer than the ring arround it. It is a reducing flame and it works for me

Last edited by Onekura; 2013-12-13 at 6:46pm.
Old 2013-11-19, 12:52pm
Borosapien

i use the same flame
here is a fume pendant i made today.

Old 2013-11-19, 1:07pm
Bernhard Riegler

awesome reti Marcel - would love to see a bigger picture of it

Old 2013-11-19, 2:24pm
Pyromaniac

Ah, so you were describing the candles (or at least that's what I've always called them). For some reason that didn't process for me. I thought you meant you were using a little itty bitty tiny flame! I think I will adjust to try for a flame more like the one you've shown and see if I get better results with silver. I'm happy with my gold fuming, but who knows I may have something to learn there too!

Thanks.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2013-11-19, 2:38pm
Phragile Glasswerks

There r some great threads on talk glass.com. There r so many different techs when using just silver lots of info over there.
Old 2013-11-20, 3:18am
Borosapien

Thank you Bernhard here is a close up.

Old 2013-11-20, 7:12am

That is beautiful Marcel!