Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2018-03-17, 5:37pm

Default Too good to use?

How many colours do you have that are too Good or Rare to use?
What would make you want to use them?
Or, are you hoarding them as your retirement fund?
KMD
Old 2018-03-17, 7:10pm

I have given myself permission to use whatever I have. I don't want to consider anything too "good" to use. If I don't plan to use it, why do I have it?
Old 2018-03-17, 7:22pm
HotFlash Designs

I have 2 garage sale boxes from DH(previous years) that I have only used maybe 1 rod of each color. AND, I still stalk their site for another! What's wrong with me?

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2018-03-18, 7:37am
Lampworkaholic!

I use whatever I have as long as I have a reasonable amount. I get stingy with the last few oz. of favorite out-of-production colors.

I used to save colors until I was "a better beadmaker" but I don't think that day is coming. After 10 years, this is as good as it gets, I think.

I should probably label the good stuff so my heirs don't pitch it all in the bin one day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2018-03-18, 12:52pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

I've even started using my Streaky Pink that I paid a fortune for. Now I wonder what the fuss was all about. I'm using whatever fits in my designs whether I have much or not. My kids are going to still have a crapload of glass to dispose of when I die.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2018-03-19, 1:45am
Slogan Challenged...

I give myself permission to use whatever I have. No point in letting the "good stuff" waste away to the dust bunnies, IMO. It's meant to be used, right?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2018-03-19, 6:54am

It's mine. I use it.
Old 2018-03-24, 10:30am
dances with ideas...

I also hate to use the last bits of the OOP wonderful colors. Passionate pink , chardonnay, sea foam...

Old 2018-03-24, 8:13pm

Default EDP?

Sooooooo, ...who’s hanging onto their EDP, just in case it never returns?
Old 2018-03-24, 11:38pm
Slogan Challenged...

I'm using mine, but VERY slowly, mostly as dots or stringer

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2018-03-25, 2:07pm

I don't have any glass I'm necessarily hanging onto because it's valuable, but I do have glass that I had a lot of trouble working with (Precision) or that was cranky with other 104 (one batch of Lauscha clear), and such like that. That stuff will gather dust until it finally crumbles into the soil again. And yeah, I have some EDP, and I love it, but as rarely as I get to fire up, it will last me the rest of my life.
Old 2018-03-28, 5:21pm

I took a nine year break from lampworking (no safe space in which to set up a studio). When I returned, I found that many of my favorite colors were long "out of print," and that some of my stored glass was now considered rare or valuable.

I use it all, though I will be very sad to reach the end of the Vetrofond Ivory.
Old 2018-03-28, 5:33pm

Me...EDP and Shampoo Glass

Last edited by charE; 2018-03-28 at 5:37pm.
Old 2018-03-29, 7:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitreous Turk View Post
I took a nine year break from lampworking (no safe space in which to set up a studio). When I returned, I found that many of my favorite colors were long "out of print," and that some of my stored glass was now considered rare or valuable.

I use it all, though I will be very sad to reach the end of the Vetrofond Ivory.
Yes, and yes, except my break was due to having two babies, now 5 and 7....I feel you on coming back to glass just being gone
Old 2018-03-30, 6:16am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I don't use Z99 often but I am not getting rid of it either. I figure I can use anything I have. I have enough curdled ivory to last until I die and then some. I don't care that others think it's all hype. When I use it then it does wonderful things, sort of like idiot proof glass. Ooo, I take that back. I am hoarding River Rock. Hmm. Maybe I should play with that soon.
Old 2018-03-30, 7:12am

I have a lot of nice old glass. I am retiring in May and plan to start using all of it! I mainly have held on to it until I feel I can make beads worthy of rare glass. I didn't buy it to hoard or sell.
Old 2018-03-30, 10:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
I use whatever I have as long as I have a reasonable amount. I get stingy with the last few oz. of favorite out-of-production colors.

I used to save colors until I was "a better beadmaker" but I don't think that day is coming. .
Same here - I bougth a lot of silver glass lately, so I don't mind wasting/using it...

Susanne
Old 2018-05-03, 10:49pm

Use the Good Stuff!

That was my New Years resolution a few years ago, and has become a motto to live by. Not just glass, but my fabric stash, the special jar of jam, the expensive lotion, the special sweater... I come from a family of savers (borderline hoarders) - and my intention is to NOT leave it for my kids to deal with.

It's only wasted if it's sitting on the shelf!
Old 2018-05-04, 5:43pm

Adriene I love that sentiment.
Old 2018-06-01, 10:49am

z-99!!!! I love it so much, so i just pet the rods.
Old 2018-06-02, 10:44pm
Artistically Absorbed

Poppy and Tangerine Sparkle... I will use them but sparingly... I love both!

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2018-06-28, 1:30am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I have a very weird superpower - I fall head over heels in love with Double Helix test batches that never make it into production. I'm very prone to hoarding the ones that I really love. And my last sad remnants of EDP make me want to weep.

L-111

Old 2018-06-28, 4:57pm
Salt Box Beads

I probably have about 50 of those colors. I actually will try to stretch them out as frit, shards, stringers and twisties. That is when I can bring myself to pull one off the shelves...
Old 2018-06-28, 5:03pm
WildBird Beads

I haven’t been at my torch for over 5 yrs t least, due to physical injuries and depression and an exhausting full time job. I will retire next spring and was thinking about my huge supply of tools and glass. I thought I would refamiliarize myself with what the latest glasses were by looking through this site. I now realize from this thread that I need to go through my glass and figure out what is no longer available. Would anyone have a resource list of glass rods in effetre, CIM, and/or DH that are no longer made? I am so sorry to hear that EDP is not longer available. That is tragic.
Old 2018-06-28, 6:24pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBird View Post
I haven’t been at my torch for over 5 yrs t least, due to physical injuries and depression and an exhausting full time job. I will retire next spring and was thinking about my huge supply of tools and glass. I thought I would refamiliarize myself with what the latest glasses were by looking through this site. I now realize from this thread that I need to go through my glass and figure out what is no longer available. Would anyone have a resource list of glass rods in effetre, CIM, and/or DH that are no longer made? I am so sorry to hear that EDP is not longer available. That is tragic.
https://www.creationismessy.com/color-archives.aspx

https://doublehelixglassworks.com/pr...olor-archives/

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2018-07-01, 6:13pm
Newfoundland lover!

EDP, Z-99, other Zimmerman glass. Some odd corals.
Plus I am on a tight budget so I am using expensive glass, like Rubino, sparingly, until I get better at my bead making skills again. I had a 4 year break due to a move etc.

I am using these glasses but just a little! Life IS too short.

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2018-07-24, 6:29pm

I bought a huge lot of glass this year when I started to set up a studio and I have a couple of rares in Vetrofond I have just a smidge of Tangerine Sparkle a bit of ivory and an odd lot of avocado. And one tiny handful of an Effetre labeled Moonstone blue. I can't bring myself to touch it since I have so little.

I and going to hoard EDP once college starts again, they have loads at the school store.
Old 2018-07-24, 7:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamyas_delight View Post

I and going to hoard EDP once college starts again, they have loads at the school store.
You go to college where they have glass rods in their store? That’s pretty cool! I want to go there!
Old 2018-07-24, 8:55pm

I used to hoard the good stuff. Now I realize that hoarding it brings me no joy. What's the point of having it if I can't enjoy it? I don't squander it but I no longer feel like I have to save it for ''something special'.. I eat caviar because "it's Tuesday". I use my stash to make a quilt "because I love you" and I can melt my glass because it fits.
Old 2018-07-30, 1:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
You go to college where they have glass rods in their store? That’s pretty cool! I want to go there!
If you happen to be in the Montreal, Canada area Espace Verre is a wonderful School! We lear all sorts of glasswork. It's so inspiring to learn with our fantastic teachers! There's a small school store with a limited color choice but they have a lot of EDP so one class starts again I will pick a bunch up to have a good stach.