Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2009-09-26, 3:35pm

Either day works for me... I'm on vacation starting that weekend! I'm planning on gaining about 15 pounds for vacation... birthday dinner, anniversary dinner, 2000 sales in my shop celebration dinner and Kitchen Bitch in da house! Guess I should start working out now to combat the poundage.

Not that you guys are looking for a suggestion for the boro play date but my vote would be any time between 10/23 and 11/3. I need more glass like I need another hole in my head but I'd love to learn!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-09-27, 6:45pm

I keep lookin to see when Barry and Joe ( Avenue Beads) are planning their Open House? our schedual has been crazy....Sounds like everyone else has been burnnin both ends at the same time as well!!! Meant to ask you Dianna, how the shop was coming? sure you've been running crazy. Cassie, I know your always in !!! Did I hear birthday? that can only mean .........FROSTING! Deb, how was the retreat??? can't wait to see the beads....... was it a soft glass weekend or did you dabble on the dark side? I'm so ready to get back to the torch tomorrow.......l

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-09-27, 7:31pm
Covered in glitter

I did mostly soft glass but I did make a boro button. It was the most butt ugly boro bead ever but I got a nice loop on it. LOL I had a LOT of fun. We do need to make sure than Barry and Joe's weekend doesn't conflict with open torch. I want to do them all!!!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-09-27, 7:39pm

hoping that is the case!!!

Old 2009-09-27, 8:43pm

Yep... frosting! Though I don't know of any fun or interesting places that make cake like that cannoli cake. Most of the places around here are boring... white, yellow, chocolate and the ever-exciting banana. Woo hoo. But I suppose I should remember that the cake is just a vehicle for the most-divine buttercream frosting! Yum!

Old 2009-09-28, 9:41am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Yep... frosting! Though I don't know of any fun or interesting places that make cake like that cannoli cake. Most of the places around here are boring... white, yellow, chocolate and the ever-exciting banana. Woo hoo. But I suppose I should remember that the cake is just a vehicle for the most-divine buttercream frosting! Yum!
OMG, Did I hear "frosting" and "cannoli cake"!! Im DYING for one right now!

I discovered they make a puff pastry stuffed with cannoli filling! Yea... big trouble!

Hey, if Joe is doing an open house, someone throw me a rock or something to tell me! I don't always see or follow all the threads fully.... Would love to go! I "might" have to bring some cannoli with, huh.

Old 2009-09-28, 1:52pm
Type ZZZ personality

It's pretty funny that Joe and Barry live very close to me but I've never met them!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2009-09-29, 10:48pm

I'm pretty sure OT is going to be the 24th of Oct. looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow....sounds like its going to be an adventure in Boro kind of day.....yah!!!

Old 2009-10-03, 5:30pm

Boro workers social and TORCH!!! Thurs. Oct.22nd from 1 to 9pm $20 donation please RSVP via PM on LE, Phone (773) 983-1053, or e-mail darbeads@yahoo.com for additional details...... Also..........Saturday Oct.24th soft glass OT/Open house from 1 to 9pm $15 donation......... the mandrels will be dipped and ready to go, so bring your glass, your imagination, and come torch with friends. Many of the people that attend are also involved in silver smithing, PMC, beading and fusing, so come enjoy the social networking and bring some of your latest creations to show off! We'll have drinks, munchies (pot luck), and cake!!! I'm not sure who's in the birthday rotation.......Cassie???.....Jean???........but it should be a fun time for all !!!

Old 2009-10-03, 8:07pm
Covered in glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARBEADS View Post
Boro workers social and TORCH!!! Thurs. Oct.22nd from 1 to 9pm $20 donation please RSVP via PM on LE, Phone (773) 983-1053, or e-mail darbeads@yahoo.com for additional details...... Also..........Saturday Oct.24th soft glass OT/Open house from 1 to 9pm $15 donation......... the mandrels will be dipped and ready to go, so bring your glass, your imagination, and come torch with friends. Many of the people that attend are also involved in silver smithing, PMC, beading and fusing, so come enjoy the social networking and bring some of your latest creations to show off! We'll have drinks, munchies (pot luck), and cake!!! I'm not sure who's in the birthday rotation.......Cassie???.....Jean???........but it should be a fun time for all !!!
Sounds good to me! I found a great Mexican dip recipe I want to try out.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-10-04, 10:53am
Dead man walking

Is it made with real Mexicans? Don't they get angry when you dip them?
Old 2009-10-04, 11:41am

Reason I'm asking for RSVP for the Boro Soc. on Thurs Oct.22nd is to see what arrangments I need to make to occomadate a few big torches and work space! I'd like to get everyone plumbed in and ready between noon and 1:30, and whether I need to get a bottle of propane, as I'm not sure how many big boys will run on 1 natural gas line?

Old 2009-10-04, 11:47am

JJ, are you going to lite the big candle in St Louis again this year? Can't wait to hear about your intensive in Jersey!!!......D

Old 2009-10-04, 1:50pm

I wish I could be there for Boro Day! Unfortunately, I gotta work til 4 and there's no one to fill in for me. But I'll definitely be there for OT! And, yes, I'm on the birthday rotation... I almost remember someone else was in October, too, so that may very well have been Jean. Better be... I don't want that spotlight by myself... I like to be low-key! As far as food, I'll have to see what I can get Jeff to whip up!

JJ, you are so bad!

Old 2009-10-04, 2:24pm
Covered in glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjglass View Post
Is it made with real Mexicans? Don't they get angry when you dip them?
You are so bad!

Darby I think I will be there on Thursday but you know my torches already.

Old 2009-10-05, 9:22am

Hey Darby - Hey All - Well, I played alittle with boro in St.Louis - still not sure how I feel about it. I was thinking of doing the Boro O.T. on the 22nd but I will have to let you know for sure alittle later. Just want to give you a heads-up. I will also probably be there for the soft O.T. on the 24th.
Hollowbead ( Annie )
Old 2009-10-08, 8:04pm

Wish we could have done St. Louis, I've wanted to go play down there for quite some time.........looks to be a great facility, and a fun bunch of lampers!!!

Old 2009-10-14, 11:09pm

Quiet day at the studio, No Deb, No Patty, No Don and Irena........ sorted alot of frit, made a couple of beads..........then the kiln with a cruicible full of glass crashed in temp........the element took a shet...... won't know if I lost the crucible or not until tomorrow??? Damn!

Old 2009-10-15, 1:21pm
Covered in glitter

Oh no! Hope you didn't lose the crucible. That would suck. I really missed not being there. Wednesday just doesn't seem right otherwise.

Old 2009-10-15, 9:50pm

Ok, So how am I just now finding out about the Glaus Haus? I'm down in Newton County but lived in Dyer for awhile. I"m originally a furnace worker (9 years behind the glory hole, educated at JU in Florida) who has switched over to the torch and LOVING IT (I am 4 days in and already making decent "Brent Graber" hearts. I am DYING to meet some other boro workers. I'm hoping to do a few holiday craft fairs in the area to meet other local artist. I've only been in NWI for a little over a year and my wife and I need to make some friends.
Hopefully i'll get up to an open torch night or something!

Mike Todd
Old 2009-10-16, 1:13am

Awsome Mike! I just started to dabble a little in boro, still need to get a torch with alittle more fire power..... I've a small glory for doing weights and small vases...the two of ya really need to come out and play.....studio info, directs, and phone contact are on our website...... www.darbeads.com ..........talk soon ....Darby

Last edited by DARBEADS; 2009-10-16 at 10:24pm.
Old 2009-10-16, 3:31pm

Thanks! I'll have to get grandma to babysit the new kid so the wife and I can come out and play. I saw that you worked for Lotton. My wife grew up going to church with him in Sauk Village and i've woked (a very little) with david.
Old 2009-10-16, 10:24pm

Small world it is.......haven't talked to David in ages..... Hoping to do some weights or ring holders on Monday.....replaced a failed element in the kiln today, and have it ramping up to have fresh glass on Monday........how many mo.'s is the little one?

Old 2009-10-17, 11:55am

NO good on the element. I had a star bar break when I was batching back in FL. Luckily it landed on the batch before it melted. I was able to get the shovel in and fish it out before it ruined the whole tank. He is 7 wks old and already has the hands of a glassblower. It will be fun to teach him when he is old enough.
Hopefully I"ll get to stop by one of these days.
Old 2009-10-17, 12:38pm

We'll be doing off hand work on Mon and Tues., lampworking on Wed, Boro OT on Thurs. and preping for the Saturday OT/open house on Friday..... I can't wait to get my sons working with glass as well, if they show the desire to learn.....they're 5 and 7, but in Tucson.

Old 2009-10-19, 8:56am

Yeah, it also depends if he wants tp learn (I hope he does). Do you rent studio time for off hand? If so, are you using 96 COE or making your own batch like the lottons. I'm looking for somewhere with a furnace and glory hole (even if it is small) to do some work. Chicago Hot Glass is to far for me to drive, and I haven't really had any good experiances there.
Old 2009-10-19, 11:01pm

96 Nuggets for now....... I hear that all too often about CHG! Played for the first time in a while today...... a dozen ring holders and a slightly wonky little test bowl....by the time I got to making the bowl I was tired and should have been done for the day....I've a student at noon tomorrow, and will likely fill the rest of the oven afterwards.

Old 2009-10-20, 12:27am

Yeah,CHG has a good spot and a great setup, could be awesome like some of the other public access studios i've been in, but they just aren't up to par. Well let me know what you charge for studio time!

Thanks
Old 2009-10-20, 12:39pm

Hey all! Darby is at the studio today teaching and blowing glass, so I thought would take this time to remind all of you of our open house on Saturday from 1-9. Also, Thursday is a mini open house for a boro day! We hope to see you all on one of those days! you can find more info on the web site ( www.darbeads.com ), like address and stuff! Be sure and call if you have any questions or need additional directions! 773-220-2800.
Janien....the other half of darbeads
PS...Mike I will have Darby PM you with studio time prices. Hope you can make it out on Saturday!

Old 2009-10-21, 7:08am
Dead man walking

Can't make it, putting the camper away and have a Halloween party to go to. Hope you folks have a great time!